Register now to get rid of these ads!

A bad month saved by a love affair...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've been having a bad month or so - at least with hot rods and such. I had to sell my wife's '51 and it broke my heart. I worked so hard on it over the winter and seeing it on a trailer headed for Washington state was just a bit too much for me.

And while this was going on, I knew my only other form of release was broke. Something in the rear suspension of the '38 snapped in our last session and I just knew it was gonna be a hard job to put her back together again. Well, I pretty much rebuilt and redesigned the entire rear suspension of the '38 today. Started at 7:30 this morning and just got in from cleaning her up.

The drive home from the car wash made all of the horse shit that I have put up with this month worth it. I love this car man... I can't imagine me without it... and I don't think I ever will be.... without it that is.

Attached Files:

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

one more...

Attached Files:

3. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

awesome, good to hear! Nate

4. Ryan that car is so fine! Guess your wife gets along with the "other" woman in your life. Great photo too. That dealer sign is KILLER!!

5. klazurfer

klazurfer

Love that Hot Rod !! You better keep it !! [​IMG]

6. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Ryan, whats up bro, I love that car dude. Its crazy how sometimes the littlest things, can smooth things over. the harpoons little brother nick came by my shop one day in his little roadster. He ended up taking me for a ride in it, that little ridemade my day, made my week, and made me appreciate hot rods all over again. It made me kind of think yeah man this is what this shit is all about!
    take care man
    Jimmy White

7. Was it the suspension ar the rearend that broke...?

What kind of suspension are you running in the rear...?

Sure is worth it after all that work to get it back on the road...!

Great to see it were it belongs..., "On the Road Again..."...! [​IMG] (Sing it Willie!!! [​IMG])

Mark

8. Radshit

Radshit

Great news......

A good day in the garage is worth more then a month of hardships!!

9. McGrath

McGrath

That is one fine looking Car.

A friend of mine has a Large Neon sign from a Studebaker Dealership, plus a couple of good sized Enameled Steel signs. He also has a box or two full of Calenders, letterheads, business cards, etc.

The Farm that he lives on was owned by a Studebaker Dealer back in the 50's and the stuff was all boxed up in one of the Sheds.

10. Sinister as always!

Tell me about bad months, paintwork on the car is keeping me sane. The fact that my job is doing well helps also.

11. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Good news, I know you been fighting that for a long time.

Now come test that fancy ass new rear suspension and get over to my garage.... this '34 needs an extra hand, and my helper is 9 months of about to pop.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

hey at least the '51 came to Washington [​IMG]

I hear ya about the struggle though

seems to come and go in waves,

my modified is so close to being on the road

I can almost taste it..

but I need to get my coupe back together,

'was under it today putting safety clips on the ladder bars,

the 1-1/8" wrench slipped and smacked me right smart in the eye.

now I got two cars that don't run and a black eye.

hahaha

Paul

13. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's awesome to have a love affair that your wife understands and doesn't feel threatened by. If it didn't have a ring on its finger, I'd have a love affair with your car too!

14. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

Ryan.... So what did you end up doing on the rear end..??

what exactly was broken, and how'd you fix it up..??

15. Nice car ..But Damn that garage rules!! I want that Cadillac Neon Sign!!

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

DAMN! i LOVE that car too man. nice photo too. i'll have to post that as my wallpaper for a few days, i like putting up pics of cars that inspire me, and that one does. and i'm not sayin that to kiss your ass either, cause if it sucked i'd be the first one to tell you so [​IMG] [​IMG]...

17. You laid down in the driveway to get those shots, didn't ya? A great angle. LIke snacky was asking, what broke in the rear suspension? No, dont' tell me! I've seen you drive [?] that thing a few times...even got video of a couple curb-ta-curb'ers.... I'll betcha broke the panhard bar mount, right? Prolly pulled it right outta the frame rail, huh?---in one of those side to side "with the cheaters on fire" Duke boys bake-offs. Glad to hear it's fixed. Now, go out there and try to break it again.

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The rear suspension has always been a little funky, but I never messed with it as it always did its job... About a month ago all the moons aligned and the car actually hooked up when I hit second hard - all hell broke loose and both of my top bars (triangulated 4-link) bent.

The bottom bars of this set up were actually made using mustang II strut rod bushings to the frame. Just the thought of it makes you think wheel hop, but I've never had a problem... I actually stole the idea from that Stude Vintage Air runs at b-ville.

Anyway, I called my old crew chief on Thursday and explained my problems, gave a few dimensions, and just generally unloaded on him. It was determined that my original 4-link wasn't designed properly - I've always admitted to being a hack... Put shortly, I didn't have enough "angle" in the top triangulated portion of my 4-link.

I pulled the rear-end for a second time in a month, cut off the old mounts, moved everything in towards the pumpkin, and fabricated new top bars. After painting everything back up and going for a drive, I found the car to ride sooo much better now. Traction is still an issue, but I think that's just the overkill I have for a motor.

I am a pretty happy camper right now.

19. All that and you still call yerself a Hack! [​IMG] Pfffffffffffftftftftffffffffff!

20. Pinball

Pinball
    from lowell, mi

great to hear your back on the road. sweet car!

21. Got Pictures for this tech repair...???

Mark

22. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

Awesome....

you know I have that same model car...

One of these days, it'll be running and driving,
    and hopefully looking half as cool as yours...!!

Later, Snacks....

23. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

It is good to Hear you are riding again.
    One of these days, I gotta have a 37-39 Ford.

Jim

24. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Man...Ryan, all of the stuff you said really rings true with what I've been going through for the past couple of weeks.

I just got finished with a week-long redo of the rear suspension in my Shoebox. One of my Posies parallel leafs had about an inch and a half more arch than the other, and it was playing hell on the way my car rode in the rear. Not to mention that they were so flimsy the mere thought of sidestepping the clutch would make the pinion rise up and the driveshaft smack the floor. It was making it so that I really didn't want to drive it as much because it seemed like I was running the risk of breaking something every time I did drive it. (I've decided that this was also what caused the transmission to pop at last year's Day of the Drags.)

I finally got off my ass and tore into it this past Monday. I had the springs re-arched, put new bushings in, and installed some NOS Traction Master traction bars on custom brackets that Keven (50Ford) and I whipped up in a friend's machine shop.

I can't begin to describe the difference all that work made. I can get on it now and paint a black mark all the way from here to Oklahoma with no hint of spring wrap or pinion rise. The car even rides way better now...

Driving it for the past couple days has really recharged me...Making that small block scream as I bang the gears is all it took.

I can't see myself ever getting rid of this one either. [​IMG]

25. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

glad to see you got it back on the road. Overkill is good thou... better to have to much motor then to little...

26. Slide

Slide

[ QUOTE ]
    One of my Posies parallel leafs had about an inch and a half more arch than the other, and it was playing hell on the way my car rode in the rear. Not to mention that they were so flimsy the mere thought of sidestepping the clutch would make the pinion rise up and the driveshaft smack the floor. It was making it so that I really didn't want to drive it as much because it seemed like I was running the risk of breaking something every time I did drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I had the same problem with some Posies springs I put on my Chevy a few years ago. I only had 'em on for a couple days, then pulled 'em and brown truck'd them back to Hummelstown.

27. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

quote]

Man, I had the same problem with some Posies springs I put on my Chevy a few years ago. I only had 'em on for a couple days, then pulled 'em and brown truck'd them back to Hummelstown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't say anything else about this. I have a set of Posies Super Slide springs in my 54 Chevy. You're going to make me paranoid.

I have to go outside with my tape measure and check now. [​IMG]

28. Slide

Slide

Mine didn't need a tape measure to see the issues. And the issues showed up as soon as I let car back down on all fours. I have heard more good than bad about Posies springs, but it seems that they get a few bad ones out the door. Looks like they need better quality control, which is hard for a relatively small organiztion. Also, this would've been in 1998 or 1999 when I did this. Hopefully things are better now.

If you have your car on the road, and no problems so far, I wouldn't lose any sleep...IMO

29. Slide

Slide

Oops, sorry about hijacking the post!

Back to topic: Ryan, I have always dug that car...even when I first saw the early sketches. Glad you not only got it repaired, but improved. That's what it's always about!!!

30. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

<font color="green">I helped a friend put the Posies super slide crap in his '39 Chevy and we encountered the same problem. it was a bare frame so it wasn't a weight distribution issue.

We spent a long time measuring things and then decided to swap the springs and see what happens.

It transfered with the spring.

Weird thing is when you laid them next to each other they looked the same and measured the same.

Different sag weights on a frame with no body is not good.

RASHY </font>