Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926-1927 ford roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by overspray, Sep 20, 2006.

1. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anybody have pictures of the differences between 26 and 27 ford roadsters/tourings? I bought a couple and want to ID them for title info.

overspray

2. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

I was unaware of any differences. I am curious now.

3. alchemy

alchemy

The touring has a back seat, and a roadster doesn't. ;)

4. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're sharp!!

I know there are a couple subtle differences. I think in the dash, maybe doors (body lines), and door latches?

Yes one was a touring-the other 2 are definately roadsters.

overspray

5. ThingyM

ThingyM

Are you sure it is a 26?? Now I had a 25 and my friend had a 27. the main difference in them was the cowel. He too said the 26 and 27 were the same. Ford always had there tooling set up for use for at least 2 years of running. And sometimes 3..

6. DrJ

DrJ

There is a "dip" and then a "jog" out for the front door jamb right at the top of the door on the '27 that wasn't on the '26.
    The '26 had a smooth transition from the dash area to the door jamb in that area.
    They probably changed it because the '26 design leaked too much air/rain or whistled maybe?

7. Darwin

Darwin

For all intents and purposes the 26 and 27 are identical. They had the cowl extended farther back on the body than earlier versions but the overall interior room was little changed. 26/27s often seem to have more room in them because they are much less frequently channeled over the frame in the way that earlier bucket bodies routinely are. That 3" means that you tend to sit more down into them rather than appearing to sit "on" them in the typical Fab T.

8. highboy_04

highboy_04
    from Kansas

doesnt the 26 have 4 holes on the inside of the door and the 27 has 5? alson on the tourings isnt the back panel for the front seat different between 26 and 27 i think the 26 had a weird indention thing and the 27 was pretty much smooth all the way down. i could be wrong i dont know.

9. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I knew there was something in that area and the instrument panel, maybe. I just didn't want to title them all the same if they are 26's and 27's.

overspray

10. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

Yep, ...also the early-to-mid '26 used aluminum door sill plates where the late '26 thru '27 had the embossed script in the subrail.
    Also there was a windshield stanchion and mounting difference. Also a rivet difference on the dash area where the gas tank welt was but now we are splitting hairs. I think you have enough info to fairly accurately date your bodies.

11. warbozz

warbozz

Depending on how much of the original cars are left there are a few things to look for. All '27 cars had wire wheels, but wires were an option on the '26. My dad had two '26 roadsters one with the wires and one with the wooden wheels. Original black paint on a body is more likely a '26, but Ford started offering color options again during '26, so again that's no definite answer but could be a clue

12. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup! Thanks to all. The HAMB is the best automotive encyclopedia in the universe.

overspray

13. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

My 27 roadster has bullet holes on the drivers side and i haven't seen that on other 26 roadsters.

14. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Want me to match the other side?

Attached Files:

15. I need a title for either - mine is suppose to be a 26 from what I have been told.:D

This is as much of the dash as I have a picture of....mine won't look stock when I get to work on it anyway:rolleyes: :D

Attached Files:

16. Mike

Mike

They didn't for 1932.;)

17. I have noticed the cowl on some '26-'27s are similar to a '28-'29, others like a '30-'31.

18. T Weed

T Weed

Oversray, the differences I've noticed is the holes in the doors are different sizes from one year to the next, also the hole on the top of the door on one is raised and on the other it is just flat. I cant remember which is which though and I'm at work so I cant check. I got 11 of these bodies and there is subtle differences...Weed...also like someone else said the aluminum sill is different.

19. Just pick the year you like best. No one will know the diffrence. That is what I did.:D

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure you can see a difference in the firewall but the 26 steering column has a round flange where it bolts to the firewall...27 column looks the same only it has a square flange at the firewall. 27 headlights were mounted on a bar. 26 headlights have their own separate mount.

It really doesn't matter except for trivia. I built my old one as a 26. Why I don't know.:D

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

The holes on top of the doors for the side curtains are the first thing to look at, 1926 has an aluminum plug, the 1927 has a rolled edge in the steel, looks like a big finishing washer. I do have a photo I'll post of the cowl/door jamb "Bump". If you had a 1926 and 1927 side by side you'd have a long list of different features.:)

22. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A pic if "bump" would be nice. These are mostly just bodies or parts of bodies, but at least 3 complete cowls and front buckets. I just wasn't sure if I wanted them all titled as 1927. It really doesn't make a lot of difference, but Me and some others are getting some good HAMB education. Tonite I'm going to look at a running 59 Ford 292 with overdrive, possibly a donor motor for one of the projects I've been collecting for. It's sad, I'm really a Chevy motor guy, but I seem to keep tripping over these Ford engines. I do like the looks of the old Y blocks and I guess I know a little about them. I do have a couple "Ford Guys" closeby for consultation that are good mechanics and old like me so they are familiar with old engines. Anybody know of any big drawbacks on the "Y" block?

overspray

23. atch

atch

i believe that the door handle mechanism is square on a 26 and sort of odd shaped on a 27...

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Here is a shot of the cowl/door jamb "Bump" the 1926 bodies had it 1927 or later '26's didn't. I agree the early door latches were square and the later ones were more like a 28-31 A latch.

Attached Files:

• 91_1.jpg
      91_1.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  25. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Final tally--2) 27 Ford roadsters--1) 26 Ford roadster (touring front body section)--1) 31 Ford tudor cowl--2) 31 Ford 4 Ford front doors (to make roadster pickup out of tudor cowl) and some insignificant parts, frames, and junk. Oh yeah, and from another place I got a 27 roadster rear section with decklid.

Thanks for the ID help everyone. It made it real easy to identify. Now to get titles.

overspray

Attached Files:

26. damn - any extra titles or windshield posts/frame???

Great Score!!