Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy 348 Build-Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motor mikey, Nov 22, 2005.

1. burger

burger

Coupla quick questions --

Front or side motor mount holes?

Does the transmission sit in the same spot with both?

Any length issues to worry about (ie, radiator clearance)?

A buddy wants to replace the 305 in his Plymouth with a 348, so we'd like to know what we'll run into.

Thanks!
    Ed

2. Tony

Tony

I was thinking at one point to put the 348 i had into my 33 truck which currently has a sbc.
    The motor mounts are the same, and in the same location. The bell housing in reference to the centerline of the motor mount's is the same as well.
    So it will bolt into where a sbc was..

BUT, the 'W' motor is longer from centerline of the motor mounts forward ( i can't remember exactly how much, but i think it was around 4"), and it's wider than a sbc.
    The biggest issue i think would be fan/radiator clearence..and maybe inner fender clearence depending on the car it's going in..

3. burger

burger

Sounds like it uses the side motor mounts then?

4" longer to the face of the block, to the snout of the water pump?

Sorry for the third degree, but I'd like to figure out what's involved before we commit!

Thanks!
    Ed

4. Yes.... it uses the side motormounts. As for the size... it's like 1" shorter in height, 1.5" wider, and 1.5" longer than a Chevrolet smallblock.

Something like that. My books are at home.

Travis

5. And to add to Travs info, Chevy put either SBC or W in the same cars. So the width doesnt make a difference. I could pull my 348 outta the T a drop a 283 in w/o any interference issues.

mikey, this is a good post, very similar to what I did, keep the updates coming!

6. burger

burger

Travis,

Thanks for the answers. Please post more specific dimensions if you get a chance. We have a line on an engine... just looking to make sure it'll work out first.

Thanks,
    Ed

7. OK... will dig up my 348 tech book at home... will post late tonight.

Travis

8. Tony

Tony

I also have a 409 and 283 sitting here in the garage. I'll get some dimention's from both.
    I can't remember how i measured the front difference..especially if it was only an 1 1/2 difference and i was thinking 4ish....

9. burger

burger

What's really critical is the complete length of the assembly, ie. from the back of the block to the end of the water pump... the 1-1/2" vs 4" difference could be that the measurements are being taken at different places.

Thanks again everyone for the information.

Thanks,
    Ed

10. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Listen, I dont wanna sound like an asshole, but this this post started out, and should continue as a post on the build up of a 348, not what it fits, what its dimensions are etc....there is a great web site containing all of this technical data, www.348-409.com

11. Tony

Tony

Point well made..Sorry Mikey...
    bttt for a good thread.

12. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

any new news mikey??????

13. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Damn!

Now I know what my Mama meant when she always said, "We can't have nice things."

14. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Sorry guys. I didn't forget about this post. Nothing new with the engine right now. I'm just waiting to get everything back from the machine shop. We ended up having a problem with a con rod. So I'm currently looking for one if anyone has one. I posted on the classifieds also, so keep your ears open. Here's a list of what was done:

Bored .030 over with 9.5-1 pistons
    Hasting Moly Rings
    Refinished Rods ARP Rod Bolts
    Crank turned to .020 under w/Federal Mogul Bearings
    Double Roller Timing Set
    Isky 262 hydraulic cam
    ARP screw in rocker studs

I will put up some pics as soon as I can.

15. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Mike, i have a few leads on some rods...i will call you if it works out...thanks,mike

16. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

I have some new pics finally. The block was cleaned, magged and bored .030 over. Installed new Dura-Bond cam bearings and Pioneer freeze plugs. I drilled and tapped the oil galley plugs on the side of the block. It's set up like a BBC in that the main oil galley runs along the side of the block. It's easy to do and looks nicer also. Dont forget to run a tap through the head bolt holes as well as the main bolt holes. Alot to junk can get stuck in there even after having the block cleaned. I'm still waiting on the crank and rods but this should hold you over.

Attached Files:

17. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

We installed ARP screw in studs in the heads. They already had bronze valve guides installed before.

18. sufoowt

sufoowt

Good deal! Glad to see your build-up. I have been gathering parts for about a year and only need pistons to finish. Found plenty of pistons just too cheap to spend $300 on them.

Fred

19. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Sooner or later I will figure this picture deal out.

Attached Files:

20. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

21. sojerscraper

sojerscraper

lookin good mike. you've got my attention now. hopefully my tired 383 mopar holds together until ive got the funds. like you said, pm me a vague estimate when you get a chance. thanks dude.

22. I might have missed something but did you paint the heads or something? They look like they are aluminum in those pictures. Chevrolet never made factory aluminum W-engine heads, but there is a guy (Lamar?) repopping aluminum heads and those are like what... $3000 a pair?

Looks good though!!!

Travis

23. Oh wait I just realized it can't be the repopped heads... that is a '58 block with the '58 heads (or at least 1 head that I can see)...

Travis

24. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

lookin good mike, by any chance did you happen to notice if the stock rocker studs were pulling out of the block???

25. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Travis, Those are the stock heads, they just got that clean from the machine shop. You are right though, they are a different color than the block.
    Mike, I didn't ask the machine shop, but from what you told me, I would guess that was happening. Also from the fact that the cam was starting to go. That will make the rockers loosen up.

26. Yup. early 58 block and heads. Remember my post if you guys ever try to run the later heads.

Engine is looking good, you will dig that 348!

27. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Finally got everything back from the machine shop. Now comes the fun part. I installed and degreed the cam which was right on spec. Checked the bearing clearances which came out great. .0025 on the mains and .002 on the rods. Side clearance on the rods was right around .009. So everthing is in spec. The rings, I thought were going to be a problem, but they went into the block without much of a hassle. Seems to work best if you position them at 10 and 2 o'clock on the piston. If you install them like this, the block pretty much compresses them for you. If not, you can push them in with your fingers. Just take your time and you should be ok. Here are some pics of the short block.

Attached Files:

28. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I intially planned on putting a 348 w/3x2 set-up in my Model A but ended up taking another direction w/the car...plus 'sombody' drove me buggy that they always wanted a W motor so i sold to him like a friend would,,cough,,cough!
    I love them motors in hot rods and kind of kick myself everytime i see one..

29. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

White? Someone is a glutton for punishment!

30. HRH

HRH

Keep it going! Im about to get my 348 out of the machine shop and getting ready for the rebuild! Little more on the performance side though and running a 6-duece set-up to boot but I love what I'm seeing here! Keep up the good work
    christian