Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a Title when vehicle doesn't have one

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Melllo52, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Melllo52

Melllo52
    from Omaha, NE

How much hassle is it to get a title for a project when the seller can't give you one? I'm sure all states are different but how tough is it? Anyone done it in Nebraska?

I've seen some pretty decent cars & trucks for sale but no title & would love to save a couple. Enjoying all the good info, Thanks, Bryan

2. I would suggest placing a call to your local DMV,,the laws vary from state to state,,some state will title a car with just a bill of sale. HRP

3. Fenders

Fenders

And some states will register a car on a bill of sale, but won't give you a title (for an old vehicle).

Other states will accept a bill of sale and a registration from another state - and give you a title.

And some won't even accept a BOS and registration.

It's a F'd up mess.

4. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

My personal view is: I wouldn't buy a car or truck without a clear title in the seller's name. I've been burned before - won't happen again.

5. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

I used a title 42 company here in Oklahoma. A little bit of time, but no black magic involved. Everything comes back legit and approved by the state.

6. carkiller

carkiller

Nebraska does a storage title after searching tru Lincoln and finding last owner, You send certified letter requesting storage payments for min 90 days. You take copy of certified letter and certfied receipt to your courthouse. And they will issue you a title to your buyers name, If the moon and stars are all allined. I did several in Nebraska when I had my storage lot in Ft Calhoon.

7. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Best thing to do is contact your local DMV. Title companies, you take your chances. A guy here used a title company, the following year, his registration was revoked and he had to get the car inspected by the CHP. 1956 T-bird.

8. corvair63

corvair63
    from denver

Broadway title I think is in Arizona but they can get you one basically you say you sold the car to them and they send you a title in there name and you have it transferred over to your name and it thinks its around $200 or so to have it done

9. bonechip67

bonechip67

Nebraska is a pain! there are ways to get one, but none easy or cheap. Just make sure what you buy is going to be worth it.

10. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

The storage title deal works. I have done several. The catch is if you cannot trace it to a previous owner with no paperwork from the state you are finished on the storage title. You can also now get an assembled antique title in Nebraska but you need notarized bills of sale for parts/cars/drivetrain parts and the vehicle must be inspected by car club inspector. There is a list of steps to do this and you must follow them exactly. Check out the State of Nebraska website for more info on this.

11. Broadway Title Company is actually in Alabama, IIRC. Used them 15 years ago to get a title for the '37 Plymouth. Worked OK back then. Most states have tightened things up substantially, and will no longer accept paperwork from companies like this. Best to check with your local DMV and do it the right way. If you don't get an answer that you can live with, check another DMV office...they don't always see things the same way.

12. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

13. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I just did this in Michigan. I know all states are different.
    I needed a value of the car from a authorized aprasial dude and a bill of sale. Get the VIN and I went to the SOS. they ran the number to make sure it wasnt stolen. and i payed them $45 and in a week I had a title in my name. Pretty easy.

14. I totally agree. HRP

15. Some states don't have titles for older vehicles.
    Fenders is right it's a f' Ed up mess

You might expect to get correct info if you call your states DMV - ill bet 100.00 if you call 3 days in a row you'll get 3 different answers from 3 different people.

The best thing to do is talk to someone who's actually done it from that state to yours. I could tell you about conn. to Ohio

16. jazz1

jazz1

Contact your local DMV,, I bought my truck with only a bill of sale in Minnesota and it took me 10 minutes and $10.00 to get a Ontario title..

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Before you do anything, have the vehicle numbers run through the national data base and be sure the car was not stolen at some point in its life. A friendly law enforcement officer can do this for you.
    Then follow the laws in your state.
    Good luck. Gene

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

Its been my experiences that the DMV doesnt have any idea what the laws are.

19. You will also find that Nebraska has a bonded title process under which you pay a $200 or so bond that is held for at least a couple of years - if after the prescribed period no claim is made on the car, a new, clear title is released to you. As previously suggested, go through Nebraskas DMV by going to http://www.dmv.ne.gov for more info.

As an aside, a story that ran in the Omaha World-Herald tonight notes that there is a growing problem in Missouri with metal thieves stealing cars over 10 years old because somebody thought it was a good idea to not require a title for the sale of older cars in the Show-Me State. Apparently it was aimed at helping people get rid of abandoned cars - used to be 20 years-older. Once again, unintended consequences because of a legislative 'do-gooder' not thinking through what could happen. One comment made in the article was that it was now easier for people who had been stealing copper wire to now pull up with a tow truck, haul away your pre-2003 vehicle, send it to the shredder and pocket the money.