Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Chevy truck steering question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sqrlnts, Feb 14, 2013.

1. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Basic question is what will happen if I shorten my pitman arm to level my drag link to be horizontal. Trying to eliminate this nasty case of bump steer.

Everything is stock steering ,but the front of my truck has been lowered 3-5". Currently my drag link sits nose high, meaning where it connects to the steering arm knuckle on the axle is higher than where it attaches at the pitman arm.

I think Sid reccommends heating and bending the steering arm down to level the drag link. I still believe I will have to bend the drag link to clear the axle at full lock.

2nd question. Is there another steering box which has a better ratio? Not interested in power steering or easier, just quicker. Beside converting to a cross steer or Mustang II type setup how can I sharpen up the steering??

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP!!!!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

You'll lose turning radius if you shorten the arm!

3. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

hahaha, your right, just put it on paper, thanks Chaddilac. Ok, so I will bend the steering arm down to level it, hmmmm just like Sid says to!!!!

Now what about steering? Just found a guy selling "quick ratio steering gear kits" on eBay for $20. Anyone have any experience using them?

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

Sometimes it's best to go with what the experienced guy tells you the first time and do it once!! :D

5. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I know, I know. Its the damn inbred knucklehead in me that sometimes wins :D

6. 1959apache

1959apache

At least you can admit it, most can't lol. I would agree with chadillac, do what Sid says, he knows his stuff