Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Vicky Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by venturesomerite, Aug 27, 2011.

1. teejay99

teejay99

I don't envy all the sweat you're putting into this project but don't stop ! You're making progress ....just keep doing a little at a time . I think it's going to look great .

T

2. Did a little more work today:

[​IMG]

Also smoothed one of the seams where the quarter meets the under trunk part. Welded them up, and also added some material to smooth the lower part's transition to the lip as well:

Here's the one I didn't do yet for reference.

[​IMG]

And the smoothed one.

[​IMG]

3. Got some free time, so now the motor is ready to be pulled.
    If anyone is wondering why I pulled the whole front clip to get the*motor out, I didn't It's all rusty and shitty, and all needs to come off anyways. I have to get some steel to make up a cradle before I can pull the motor. I'm also going to pull the dash and fab up my new trans tunnel/floor before I pull and paint the motor. If you wonder why I have to pull the dash, just scroll back a page or two and look at the grand canyon in the car.

Also out of curiosity, I wacked the bondo air duct with a hammer. Turns out it's HVAC duct metal, wrapped in masking tape to hold the shape, then fiberglasses. So I guess no bondo there at least. And yey, another coffee Can!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man what a mess! I admire your perseverance though and suspect that in the end you'll have a kickass car.

5. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Nice! I had a black '56 Vicky in High School back in the mid '60's. That car cost me $200, a not so small fortune for me at the time. 312, auto, magnificent black paint on a perfect body. Wish I had it back.

6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

With all of the front sheet metal removed I don't think you'll need those louvers! LOL Seriously, keep at it. I have a '56 Meteor Rideau Victoria that's waiting it's turn. I had to replace the front cross member but had an excellent original to use. Mine is going to be all stock unless I lower the front a little. Great body style. My 2nd model kit was an AMT '56 which came with the Meteor grill. You will no doubt finish before I do. EMS makes some good patch panels. Good Luck!

7. Started stripping some more paint. I actually found a good surprise for once, clean sheet metal.

[​IMG]

Also started stripping the hood, I have to say, I kinda expected the louvers to be bondoed on like the ricers do with the scoops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Any updates on your build?

9. I just read the entire thread,,missed it the first couple of times around.

Sounds like it's been like our wagon,,on again off again,,these rough old cars can be overwhelming when the more you dig the worse it gets.

I hope you get back on it,,if it makes you feel and better about your project,,it took me 9 years from start to finish. HRP

10. No updates. Haven't had the space or money to do anything, as I've had a few trucks in my shop. I also had to pull the 7.3 out of my truck, so that took up every inch of space I had.

I'm not at all discouraged, just wish I was at a point where I could start to dedicate even a saturday a month to her, but she'll get done when she's done.

I'm also in the process of shutting down one business and starting another, while also considering moving locations, so you know, not a lot of free time.

11. Haven't done much, got some time today so I plucked her heart out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the view from the batcave:

[​IMG]

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hey a little progress is better than no progress. Even cleaning parts puts you further ahead and doesn't cost much. Still watchin'! :D

13. ok, so some updates... Started tearing into the motor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks pretty good inside.

15. Some more misc pictures of the engine/components. Any and all help I'ding what I have would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that engine looks clean,good gasket kit,newbearings,good to go,get back on the body,tough project,but a beautiful project

17. sololobo

sololobo

Love seeing all the interest in this way cool Vicky. My brother has one of these on the back burner right now. You are movin forward nicely with a good plan. Best o luck with this super car. ~sololobo~

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Can you see a good crosshatch pattern on the cylinder walls and is there a ridge at the top of the cylinders?

19. Pictures are worth a thousand words I am told. No ridge that I see/feel.

These are just random shots of different pistons.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

I was speaking to my mom on the phone last night and she found the bill of sale for this car, which has been lost for the 20 years it was sitting. My Dad bought the car for $400 20 years ago. So that is how old this engine build is, and in my unprofessional opinion, it's in pretty good shape.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  20. m.kozlowski

m.kozlowski

It's in very good shape. Even with only re-ring job it would be fine.
    Just get one ring off and measure it inside the cylinder. If it measures within specs, just leave them alone i think.
    Good luck!

21. junior58

junior58

I'm curious about the 57 in the background

22. I parted that out, I couldn't give the thing away. I still have s bunch random bits and things. (windshield, dash 3 speed trans, etc etc)

Let me know if you need something.

23. Domino

Domino

You just can't beat a big Ford car. You have a lot of work ahead of you, but it will be a sweet car. Did you measure the bore and stroke of the engine?

24. I found a donor car with just the right parts to steal! From a 56 Victoria 2 door postless paid $400 bucks for it.

Trans tunnel was cut for a 4 speed, but has all the hump and firewall parts I need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cross member has been replace, but is still solid.

[​IMG]

Tranny cross member is still there

[​IMG]

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Looks like good score.

26. Had some time tonight, so I started tearing down the donor frame for a front end rebuild, different rear end, and paint. Shop is pretty tight at the moment, as I am taking up pretty much every inch.

[​IMG]

Can't get the forward two bolts to budge. Soaking them with PB right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is the room that is left.

[​IMG]

27. I've been following your thread from the start and enjoying it. Looking at your profile pics, it looks like we got twin Town Sedans. Keep up the good work.

Attached Files:

28. Lol I guess so.

29. glrbird

glrbird

I don't know what your plans are, Fat Man fabrication has a rack and pinon kit for your car. Jim www.yblocksforever.com modirator has one in his 56. Also there is a FE forum somewhere. Try Ted Eaton at the same site, knows lots about FE's.