Register now to get rid of these ads!

F1-F3 VIN Number Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcreasman, Apr 29, 2012.

1. jcreasman

jcreasman

:confused: Hi, guys I'm confused about the VIN number I found on the frame rail of my truck. The VIN number is 87HY17235. I know the 8 is 1948, the 7 six cylinder, HY F3 3/4 ton heavy duty, 17235 is probably the build number. Pretty simpe so far right. Ok here is where all the confusion comes into play. Everything I've been able to find says a F3 3/4 ton has a 122" wheelbase, F1 1/2 ton has a 114" wheelbase. My truck however has a 112" wheelbase. I have looked at the frame from bumper horn to bumper horn I can't find any evidence of any modifaction done to the frame. It has the correct cab on it, and a short bed. I did find a tag on the firewall on the passenger side of the cab, the only thing I could find on it is the letters ATL. I assume this probably stands for Atlanta assembly plant. I have pics of the VIN number on the frame rail, as well as pics of the inside of the cab, the bed, and the rearend. I will gladly post these of they may help in anyway. Thank You in advance for any and all help.

:confused: Confuesd H.A.M.B.er in Tennessee :confused:

2. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I would check that number stamping real close. The F3 had a longer and heaver frame then the F1. Is the plate still inside the glove box. If so check those numbers

3. jcreasman

jcreasman

No the plate from the glove box is missing. I'm adding a couple pics that may help.

Attached Files:

4. desotot

desotot

I believe the 112" would be a 114" wheel base , as you load the truck the front shackles swing forward and the rear shackles swing rearward increasing the wheelbase, and at best the Ford measurement were at an approximation.

5. I have a 50 F1 but I'm no expert but I thought all the 3/4 tons all had the longer bed?I'm sure someone on here will have a answer for you.

6. jcreasman

jcreasman

Thanks guy's I'll keep searching and keep you all updated.

7. jcreasman

jcreasman

I'm kinda gathering that the 48 F3's may be 8 lug instead of 5. Anyone know about this?

8. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

That is correct, the bed is also longer then the f1, about 8 feet compared to 6 feet or so. The axle in the picture above appears to be a f1 axle, and is not the correct one for a f2 or f3. The fenders on an f2 or f3 have bigger wheel openings then the f1. Since the frame has not been modified, my guess would be that someone on the Ford assembly line got sloppy in their stamping. Back in the day the ID number wasn't the big deal that it is now. So they probably forgot to change back to the F1 stamps to do your truck

Also check out the 48-56 section of Ford Truck Enthusiasts, they have all the info you could ever want on these trucks.

9. jcreasman

jcreasman

Thank You very much GreasyKnight. I will definitly check them out. I was kinda thinking along your line about the stamp someone just got sloppy, or lazy.