Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

OH yea! have you ever been? If not you are in for a real treat.

2. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

These are the best pics i've seen in a long time. Small town track graffiti on the wall I love that altered with the BBC in it. CLEAR VALVE COVERS!! How cool is that? The only thing keeping rocks away from his prescription lenses is a bunch of injector stacks. Open face helmet..Damn those were the days. You know how much crap you'd have to wear to pilot that thing now!? Love that green model A (injected HEMI o yea) and that 56 hardtop. Very cool pics man....:cool:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

where are the two vettes raving at

4. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

Thats the old Shelby track in Ohio, closed several years ago, also known as Pence .
    Did host some IHRA stuff in mid 70's.

5. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Went to the first Sportsnationals in 1973 at BG.Never to a HRR there,or anywheres.Looking forward to it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  6. brandon

brandon

orr still owns the green weenie. pretty much the same :)

Attached Files:

7. thehazguy

thehazguy

dirty "d"

Attached Files:

8. COOOOL ..... Chassis Research LW-106!!!!!!:)

9. ^^^^^^^^
    Muttley where did you get this picture????

10. I would like to suck all the pictures in this thread to suitable local storage for when the internet is just something we fondly remember. There are many once in a lifetime photos here. Does anyone know how I might script such a job?

11. jaytee

jaytee
    from Ireland

Muttley you're a star,anyone know the history on this car

12. Muttley

Muttley

I ran across it somewhere on the net, I probably couldnt find it again if I had a gun to my head.

13. Muttley

Muttley

It belonged to Tony Nancy.

14. Muttley

Muttley

Go down to the local Best Buy, get a USB memory stick and save the files to it. I have all of my 21,000+ car photos on a 16G stick and it's not even half full yet.

15. Thanks rooman; the Coonamia post- pure GOLD!

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

The LW even though a Chassis Research car, they were sold by Eelco,,they bought them in 63

If you look close you can see the difference in the early CR frames and the Later

The front crossmember,, as well and the side plates,, as well as firewall hoop and second hoop connceted

**click 3 times on image for largest view**

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  17. Yes it is Mike....

One of my favorite shots of that car as the injector butterflies are wide open on that burnout. That shot was at the 1971 Grande American at New England on a Saturday night qualifying run.

That was my first race in the K & M car and we beat Tom Ivo in the final the next day.

Don

18. Yep!!!! I am restoring / building one ..... right now..:D

19. does he still have both of them? the roadster and the coupe?

i remember the first time i saw the green weenie it was comin down the return road at edgewater just rolling along jumpin the front wheels off the ground everytime he gassed it

20. brobertson2

brobertson2

I think this was the Rollema and Hill dragster. Car was blue and the Cadillac in the background was their pushcar. Nice car. Don't know what happened to it.

21. K-88 ghost

K-88 ghost
    from Nevada

RE; post #25721 That IS the Rollema and Hill car out of Itows automotive. My brother Stan was the half owner/driver. Jerry Rollema is seen walking beside the car. The body was designed by Steve Swaga. Unfortunetly it was not aerodinamic and it did a slow "strip tease" (front pontones were unstable at speed) The last time the car ran as I recall was some time in '63.
    We ran mostly at Lions, Fontana, and Pomona.:cool:

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Man real deal guys from the day.........you can't get any better than that. Thanks for the story and info K-88 ghost it is much apreciated. Skip

23. thehazguy

thehazguy

Hawaiian front engine top fueler Mike Snively at the helm.

Attached Files:

24. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Google website copier or website duplicator and you'll find lots of tools for the job.

25. rcktscientist

rcktscientist
    from San Diego

OK, Not a picture but noteable none the less. Remember to change the oil in your TF car every 3 runs.

Attached Files:

26. blue hell wrench

blue hell wrench

Wow, I just watched for the umteenth time part 3 of Don Gillispie's tribute to Lions with repeated tears in my eyes. The fond memories of "the beach' sticks with anyone who ever raced there or attended. Thankfully, in 1966 my brother ran a factory experimental, later to be called a funny car. Our father as did Dale Pulde's dad Ed, attended our races and formed strong father-son bonds. I fondly remember after a race at Lions on 16 Jan 1968 on my dad's 53rd b'day Rusty Deling, Mike D'Dario and Lance Larson tipped a few with him at Shaky's Pizza on Redondo Beach Blvd. Days before his passing on 14 Oct 2006, Dad said "we sure had fun racing at Lion's". It was at Lion's that many of today's greats cut their teeth. Names such as Dale Pulde, Dale Armstrong, Gary Densham, Mert Littlefield, Rusty Deling, Randy Walls, and John Force. Hearing Jon Lundberg announce was a treasure in it's self. Rick Stewart is good but can't hold a candle to Larry Sutton. Watching CJ Hart orchestrate the show aboard his 50cc honda was mezmorizing. You had to have been there to understand I guess. I always thought that everybody had a local drag strip like Lion's within 20 miles of home. WRONG, THERE WAS ONLY ONE LIKE THE "BEACH"[/ATTACH]

Attached Files:

27. 40ford57chev

40ford57chev

Dragster: "Old Bear"
    1964 - Category: GASDRAG, Type: MN, Class: AA/D, Div: 4

Does anyone have a photo of the small block Chevy dragster name Old Bear, owner Phil Parker? Car was retired about 1964. If so would you please post it and PM me.

Now Resides in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[​IMG]</st1:placeName>NHRA <st1:placeType w:st="on">Museum, </st1:placeType></ST1:pworld record holder.

Thanks

28. Blue Hell Wrench Mike,email me please. Dennis Doubleday

29. 296ardun

296ardun

Agree, it is Rollema and Hill, these guys always fielded clean equipment, frame was pearl and body candy blue, either Jerry Rollema or Stan Hill drove...

30. sar34

sar34
    from Oregon

Hey Mike, You were not the only Blue Hell Wrench.