Register now to get rid of these ads!

Part numbers - Over the counter 12 Volt Overdrive Solenoids

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heart Of Texas, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

I am hoping this post will provide me with a viable part number I can use to order a 12 volt overdrive solenoid. I am specifically seeking a part number that can be used at a auto parts store like NAPA etc. The type of solenoid I seek has a 1 inch shaft length when measured from the mounting plate. Its intended use will be in a R-11 Overdrive unit.

Researching HAMB and other INTERNET sources there are plenty of references to using the existing stock of 12 volt OD solenoids to replace the OEM 6 volt units when converting to 12 volts. This information is usually accompanied with recommendations to purchase a replacement from antique parts vendors, usually at a cost near $300 dollars plus rebuildable core. Occasionally the provided information alludes to "over the counter" NAPA, AutoZone etal... units. It is this elusive over the counter replacement part's part number and source I seek.

This month Hemming Motor News is running a story penned by the 5th Avenue folks which lists the part numbers for a number of OEM 12 volt solenoids

Thanking all of you in advance.

2. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

ken if you can get me the oem numbers I can attempt to cross them over to a aftermarket number.
    Slider

3. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

<table class="wideback" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="DetailTitle" align="left">own Switch
    <table style="width: 100%;" border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="padded2" style="color: Black; background-color: White; font-size: 12pt;"> Back to Results
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    [​IMG]

</td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td class="padded2" align="left" width="40%"> <table border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="padded2" align="center" valign="middle">3 Images
    << Prev Next >></td> </tr><tr> <td class="padded2" align="center" valign="bottom">[​IMG]
    Full
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" valign="top"> <table> <tbody><tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Part: </td> <td class="widetext" align="left" valign="top">ECH OD6284</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right" valign="top">Product Line: </td> <td class="widetext" align="left" valign="top">Echlin Ignition</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    <table border="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="padded2" style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">List Price
    Your Cost
    Unit
    </td><td class="padded2"> :
    :
    :
    </td><td class="padded2" style="white-space: nowrap;" align="right">54.08
    Each
    </td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Qty Available: 0.00 [​IMG]

<table> <tbody><tr> <td>Qty <input name="QtyTextBox" maxlength="6" value="1" id="ECHOD6284_0168447037" size="2" type="text"> </td> <td> [​IMG] </td> </tr> </tbody></table> </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="5"> </td></tr> <tr> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left">
    </td> <td colspan="3" align="left">
    </td> </tr> <tr><td colspan="5"> </td></tr> <tr> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="wideback padded2" align="left">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left"> Warranty </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="padded2" align="left"> Limited 12 Months </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="DetailBodyHeader" align="left"> Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="padded2" align="left"> There is no MSDS for this item </td> <td class="wideback padded2" width="8">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="padded2" align="left">
    </td> <td colspan="3" class="wideback padded2"> <table align="center" border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="4">Buyers Guide
    </td></tr><tr><td>Make</td><td>Model</td><td>Engine</td><td>Year(s)</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Crestline</td><td>
    </td><td>1952 - 1954</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Custom</td><td>
    </td><td>1957 - 1957</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Custom</td><td>
    </td><td>1949 - 1949</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Custom 300</td><td>
    </td><td>1957 - 1959</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Customline</td><td>3.9 L 239 CID V8 L Head</td><td>1952 - 1953</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Customline</td><td>
    </td><td>1954 - 1956</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Fairlane</td><td>
    </td><td>1955 - 1961</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Fairlane 500</td><td>
    </td><td>1957 - 1961</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Falcon</td><td>
    </td><td>1960 - 1961</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Mainline</td><td>
    </td><td>1952 - 1956</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Thunderbird</td><td>5.8 L 352 CID V8</td><td>1958 - 1958</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Thunderbird</td><td>
    </td><td>1955 - 1957</td></tr><tr><td>Ford</td><td>Thunderbird</td><td>
    </td><td>1959 - 1961</td></tr><tr><td>Lincoln</td><td>Cosmopolitan</td><td>
    </td><td>1949 - 1951</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Colony Park</td><td>
    </td><td>1957 - 1958</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Custom</td><td>
    </td><td>1952 - 1956</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Medalist</td><td>
    </td><td>1956 - 1956</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Medalist</td><td>
    </td><td>1958 - 1958</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Mercury</td><td>
    </td><td>1949 - 1951</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Montclair</td><td>
    </td><td>1955 - 1958</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Monterey</td><td>
    </td><td>1950 - 1958</td></tr><tr><td>Mercury</td><td>Parklane</td><td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

4. last months hemmings has an article on these and 6 to 12 conversion plus part numbers. I'll look them up later unless it gets posted
    whoops just read the last line of your post

5. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Slider - thanks for the offer! The part numbers I know about come from the Hemming Motor News article:

AR-10H-62 : 55-57 Packard, 56-59 Plymouth, 56-63 Stude, Hudson, Nash Rambler and 55-56 Chevy

1AR-10H-62 :57-63 Chevy

AR-10F-62: 59-63 Studebaker Truck

AR-11-62: (same as Ford B6A-6916A) 56-65 Ford< Mercury and Edsel

Again the distinguising factor for the solenoid I need is a 1 inch shaft length measured from the mounting surface. The type of solenoid I am replacing has a sides on the ball end... I can grind down the full ball type or replace the shaft with the one from a 6 volt solenoid.

Thanks again for the help.

6. greasemunkey

greasemunkey
    from katy, TX

I take it, we still have an elusive solution? Just curious...trying to avoid the ebay route...