Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 2-door wagon conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 50Fraud, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

This was touched on briefly in the longroof thread, but I don't think it's been covered exhaustively.

A few people have built phantom 2-door station wagons out of 4-doors. I'm not referring to factory-built 2-doors, or to "shorties" built by sectioning out the back doors; I'm interested in those wagons built to look like factory builds that never existed in nature.

I've seen at least this many:

'51 Chevy
    '55 Chrysler (full custom)
    '56 Merc
    '62 Pontiac
    mid-'60s T-Bird (Vista Cruiser roof)
    '66 Ford fullsize
    '66-67 Nova (2 of these)

The only one I have a picture of is the Pontiac, which you may have seen before. Anybody know of any others?

[​IMG]

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've seen some '64-66 Mustang wagons, I think that barely clears the letter of the cutoff date, if not the spirit.

[​IMG]

One guy put a GTO front clip and trim on a '64-65 Chevelle 2dr wagon, thought that was great. Similar to this one (could not find a 2dr pic online)

[​IMG]

I'm not sure I have seen many converted 4dr wagons to 2drs. That's a lot of work to still end up with a wagon! :D

3. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I'm not sure why? But I like the Mustang.

Jeff

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'd forgotten about the Mustangs. I think that was a fiberglass kit offered in the late '60s; I remember seeing several of those. They were well designed, and pretty good-looking.

The 2-door GTO wagon sounds great -- I'd fantasized about that exact conversion myself. I'd like to see it!

And, yeah, converting a 4-door is a lot of work. But there are a fair number of guys who really like 2-door wagons, and a few who are willing to go to the trouble.

I found this '66 Ford picture somewhere on the web, maybe here on the HAMB, but I suspect it's a photochop:

[​IMG]

5. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

the mustang is cool and saying that makes me feel weird

6. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

Corvettes were done ad nauseum in the '70's...both wagon and see-dan deli-very versions...supposedly inspired by the Vette Nomad of '54.

And Jim Mattison of PHS fame had a hand in a T/A version, circa '00...the Hurst Hauler. Previous T/A versions were done in the late-'70's as concept/show cars.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  7. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

i wish the 64 mustang i have was a wagon just as that one is.thanks

8. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

I like the "Grand Prix" inspiration...buckets, trim on the 'gate, mouldingless with GP badge on the door, 8-bolts...nice!

9. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I don't know how do-able this would actually be and I know I don't have either the
    bucks or the body work skills required to pull this off - but how about this for a
    possible "phantom" two-door wagon??? Start with the body shell of a '64-'65 Chevelle 300 2-door wagon. Replace the Chevelle doors with a pair from a '65 Pontiac Tempest 2-door sedan. Then, replace the front fenders, front bumper, tailgate, rear bumper and tailights with '65 Pontiac Tempest 4-door wagon pieces. Then take a pair of '65 Tempest 4-door wagon quarter panels, cut and discard the front portion and join the remaining rear section with the front portion from of a pair of Tempest 2-door sedan quarter panels, to create a pair of "phantom" Tempest 2-door wagon quarter panels. Cut the Chevelle 2-door wagon quarters off and instal the "phantom" Tempest 2-door quarter panels. Then, use the hood, grill, exterior chrome trim, dash cluster, front bucket seats, console and interior pieces from a '65 GTO . Presto! A factory appearing "double phantom" GTO 2-door wagon! "Double phantom", because 1) there were no GTO wagons produced and 2) no 2-door Tempest wagons either! It'd be a lot of work and a lot of money but very cool! :)

mart
    ======================================================

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. Whos car is this? Would love to read a write up on it. And check out some more pics of it for sure.
    There was a guy in Washington building a '62 Pontiac 2 door bubbletop. Man would that ever be a cool photoshoot with this 2dr wagon and his bubbletop.
    I also saw a 65 GTO/ Tempest "elcamino" at the Unfinished Nats in Washington a few years ago. it was done really nice so you woulda thought it was original.
    I've got a few ideas for a 2 door wagon conversion, would be cool as hell.

-Shiny

11. LaidoutRivi63

LaidoutRivi63

I'd love to see the Vista Cruiser T Bird! always liked the vista cruiser concept, just not the wagon itself.

12. Oh and don't forget about JFs crazy mopar!

[​IMG]

-Shiny

13. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

hmm.. almost every wood thing I build is a two door conversion..lol

14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Here's the other end and the interior. It was built by Gary Minor, and I'm a partner in the car. A lot of work but pretty straightforward; it involved a '62 GP parts car and a junkyard '62 Pontiac 2-door sedan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a car like this on eBay a year or so ago. Looked great, although it had a dumb afterthought-looking hoodscoop.

I saw one like this at Goodguys OC last year, and a beautiful '65 Olds 442/Camino at Pleasanton a few years ago. Both looked like factory cars.

That's the '55 Chrysler I was referring to in the original post.

15. I know it's not traditional but since someone mentioned the Mustang Stationwagon, here's a WRITE UP on the Mustang Wagon if it's the same one..joe

[​IMG]

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Here's a couple more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D
    [​IMG]

17. Spity

Spity

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one was made from a 4 door wagon into a 2 door hardtop wagon.

18. Squablow

Squablow

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

Besides the Carrozzeria Intermeccanica/Frank Reisner built Mustang wagons, I think Ghia also built a couple. Ford Motor Company did alota business with Carrozzeria Ghia, and bought them outright in 1969.
    I suspect the reason that not many Ghia/Intermeccanica Mustangs were built is their construction costs. Intermeccanica was building the Apollo at about this time and didn't sell many of those either.
    In England, coachbuilder Harold Radford built twelve Aston Martin DB5 (think James Bond's car,here) wagons, or more correctly "shooting brakes"in teabag lingo. These, like the Mustang, were built from 2dr.GTs

Swankey Devils C.C
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

20. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I saw this one on the web.It is a 67 chevelle station wagon 2dr.

Steve

Attached Files:

50Fraud likes this.
  21. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    We did some paint work on this now 2 door '66 chevelle wagon for Chuck Hanson of the Horsepower TV Fame. We redid some of the base color and flamed it. The guy Chuck bought it from originally built it as a Phantom 300 wagon. It Looked totally stock restored. Fooled alot of people. Chuck bought it and he ripped out the stock drivetrain and installed a zz4 and overdrive on his show. He also installed the Bear breaks and interior on other shows.
    The 1/4's are from an El Camino and the rear slider windows are from a 64 Chevelle 2 door wagon. The fabwork is pretty slick in person, but is showing it's age.
    Go here for the pics of the work we did:
    http://www.cleancutcreations.com/chchevelle.html

22. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

[​IMG]
    <p>I had seen Chuck Hansons car on his show once and had ask about it but nobody knew what i was talking about.Glad to see it in a better picture than just a quick look on tv.I like it....

Steve

23. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I'm working on one (55 Merc):
    [​IMG]

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I like that a lot. I'd prefer it in a solid color, though (no flames).

25. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

I saw this '65 (I think) Buick at the Glendale AZ swap meet a few years back. It was absolutely factory looking to the last detail, in and out, looked like a concept car. It had a '57 Chevy fender and a few wheels in the back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-KK

26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Wow, very subtle.

27. ryno

ryno

i kind of got lost in your dream here,
    but i think , actually i know from experience, if you start out with a el camino instead of a car every mount is the same from a 4 door wagon. so all you ready need to do is cut the roofs off and cut out the back el co wall. the seat belt and rear seat mounts are already there from teh rear seats in teh elco storage that is at the front of the "bed". my old partener and built a 67 2 door this way. the hard part is finding the correct windows.we used a 64 2 door wagon glass, but had to glue them in, they where a tad to small to make over lap like the orginal design.i dont have any pics of this wagon, as this was before the digital craze we live in now.

28. corsair

corsair

This is probably out of the HAMB range, though it was introduced in 1961. It's always been my favorite example of the 2 door wagon breed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Volvo P1800 Estate. Very neat little car that almost never was.

29. Here is one I did for a friend, I trade fab work for body/paint work with him.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50Fraud likes this.
  30. Under construction.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.