Register now to get rid of these ads!

New repro steel under-dash A/C from Vintage Air

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I was just reading a thread asking if A/C was gold chain or not, so I looked up Vintage A/C and saw this. Looks pretty neat if you ask me, I just wish they had more info.

[​IMG]

"The Real-Steel Mark IV Is Back!"
    [/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vintage Air has reproduced the most popular underdash air conditioner ever made. The Vintage Air Mark IV features an all steel case built from the original tooling. The timeless look of chrome and real steel combined with Vintage Air’s proven performance makes the new Mark IV a great choice for your period perfect ride.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Call Vintage Air today for more information 800-862-6658[/FONT]

www.vintageair.com

EDIT: For what it's worth, I emailed vintage air and asked them to come to the HAMB and give us more info, and maybe even consider being a HAMB Alliance member as well :)

2. squirrel

squirrel

Now THAT's progress!

3. gold chain or not...why have a reason to hate drivin' yer hot rod?

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

That's a good unit. Very well built. It's what I'm using in my '64 C-10. Retail is about $300.

5. tragic59

tragic59

Jeremy, what else do you need to have in order to use that system? And can you hook it up completely seperate from a stock heater, if you already have that???

6. coolair

coolair
    from texas

Johnny, thanks for the email. The Mark IV is a great new product just released from Vintage Air and is selling great....it also works as good as it looks. The Mark IV evaporator list for $299.00 and is a cool only system so normally you will retain your OEM heater. The evaporator is just one component of an A/C system, you will also need an compressor, bracket, condenser, hose kit, drier and safety switch which normally runs in the $880.00 - $900.00 range but could be a little less or more expensive, depending on what parts needed to fit your ride. The evaproator itself is 15.5"W x 5.75"H x 13.5"D.

All of the guys in VA Sales/Tech Depts are gear heads and lurk around the HAMB daily (don't tell Jack). Most of us have attended/participated in every Lone Star Roundup and think it's the best show in the country. We think the HAMB Alliance is a great idea but being a manufacture with a large dealer network, we do not want to be in pricing competition with them and sell @ retail only. I know several HAMBers who are VA dealers so I would recommend seeking them out and keep it in the HAMB family.

If anyone has a question about the Mark IV or any of the VA systems, don't hesitate to contact myself or any of the guys in the Sales Dept....we are here to help out any way we can!!

Thanks again,
    Mark Hungerford
    Vintage Air Tech. Dept.
    1.800.862.6658 ext.111

7. Retrorod

Retrorod

That's what I call response......a thumbs up to Vintage Air!

8. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

9. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hey Mark! Thanks for giving us the scoop on the new unit! There's a reason why Vintage Air has such a good reputation around here :D

10. Hey Mark!

Tell Rick that Steve from Industrial Chassis said Hi.

I have been a VinAir dealer for 10 years or so and have always given a HAMB discount.

11. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Coolair, you have a Private Message

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Maybe you guys should consider the Alliance just another retailer... :)

Seriously though, if you guys can lead me to a good vendor of your products I would be happy to make an effort in getting them in the Alliance. PM me.

As for the new under dash unit, I think it kicks ass for the right car...

13. The HAMB is becoming a SUPERPOWER:D

Also, I'm glad to hear that VA respects the dealers, not all manufactures do!

14. Would free shipping to HAMBA members be considered undercuting the dealers?

15. Amazing!, What goes around, comes around. Musta' thrown away 1/2 dozen of the originals over the years. A/C in Ohio was a luxury years ago. Real novelty to have one of these units in a car in the 60's/70's. So glad the Starfire has factory A/C that works. You California people should spend a summer in Florida and see what HOT really is. Believe you me, dry heat is different.
    Just ask NADS how miserable it is driving here in summer without A/C.:eek:
    Glad to see Vintage Air is reproducing this unit.
    JT

16. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Having Asthma - AC is a must not a gold chain thing, even here in Minnesota.
    Thank for posting this one I'm looking for that kind of unit right now for the 54 as i'm doing the body work and need to modify the firewall for AC.

17. Does anyone know what year the Mark IV originally hit the market?

18. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Hot Rod Air has had a unit like that for quite a while i believe.

19. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I think cool57 means what year did the original its based on hit the market. I'm guessing mid 60s, but its just a guess.

20. coolair

coolair
    from texas

man-a-fre, HRA and several others do offer a below the dash unit that looks similar but is an all plastic case and faceplate, not metal like the original - that is what makes the Mark IV, umm....COOL

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Made outta steel from the original tooling makes it bad-ass in my eyes :cool:

22. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Got a Sears reconditined still in the box that looks a lot like for 25.00, plan to put in my Terraplane, everything else to make it work is Vinage Air.

23. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

VA emailed me a page from their new catalog, which goes to print this week.

New!
    MARK IV
    SYSTEMS

Come complete with:
    Under Dash
    Evaporator and
    Mounting Brackets

Built-In Controls

Drain Kit

672001-VHY - Mark IV - Under Dash Cool Only System.
    THE REAL STEEL MARK IV IS BACK!

Vintage Air has createed an exact reproduction of the most popular underdash air conditioner
    ever made. The Mark IV features an all steel case built from the original tooling. The timeless
    look of chrome and real steel combined with Vintage Air’s proven performance makes the new
    Mark IV a great choice for your period perfect ride. Includes mounting brackets and drain line.

24. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I saw this just recently, and think it kicks ass--it's EXACTLY what I was looking for in my '62 Suburban. In fact, I wasn't going to run A/C in the truck because I couldn't find anything that looked right. (that wasn't original in need of total restoration, and way overpriced)
    -Brad

25. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

Glad to see this thread, I'm currently shopping for two systems. For my wifes 50' Hudson and our 60' Chevy brookwood wagon. Vintage air gave me next day e-mail response with info. I'd really like to see them join the alliance some how especially through a mail order sale where we don't need a retailer to do any installing. When your looking at $2500.00 every little bit is appriciated.

Joe

26. sk6strng

sk6strng

Hey Mark. I have a 56 BelAir 9 passenger wagon. Would the underdash unit work in this car, and Is there any way to get a cardboard 'mock-up' of the unit so I can place it exactly where it goes and see exactly what I am giving up in front seat legroom? Thanks and have a great day

27. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

7 years..........

28. Willy_P

Willy_P

The belair will be getting vintage air when I get to that point in the rebuild.
    Bill

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. snaptwo

snaptwo

Had I known that they were coming out with the Mark 4 style evaporator, I would have not bought the direct fit unit . I am thinking Mark 4 came out in 1957-8, I was working as a parts runner for the local Lincoln/ Mercury dealership and Clardy, then Mark 4 were dealer install options. Those were r-12 systems originally unlike the R-34 systems of today.

30. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Anyone have a picture of one under the dashboard?