Register now to get rid of these ads!

Kiessler 5-speed manual transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SBC/WBC/BBC, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SBC/WBC/BBC

SBC/WBC/BBC
    from Canada

Has anyone had any experience with these transmissions?

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

Great transmissions! I purchased their TKO600 5-speed and installed it in my avatar. Previously the '56 had a Muncie M21. Changed the whole driving character of the car, making it faster off the line, and able to cruise 80 mph effortlessly. Highly recommend Keisler.:)

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I bought one for my '40 pickup build but I haven't used it yet. Looks like a solid transmisson.

4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

Keisler has been very good to me. I have bought a few of the TKOs and am about to do it again. The best part is they know their stuff, have tons of parts available and an excellent tech staff to answer questions. Check out their new additions along with the TKOs.

5. Fogger

Fogger

A buddy just got a new SS700 trans from Keisler, we've got it mounted and now are waiting for the driveshaft, which was part of the deal. I'll report back when it's on the road, but the trans looks great.

6. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Order early because they are not good on their promised ship dates.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Keisler is actually a distributor/packager for a couple of different trans manufacturers. If your asking about a Tremec TKO trans, That is without ANY DOUBT the best money I have ever spent on a car!!! Just as above it lowered my e.t. by over a second from a comprimised geared, loose convertered auto trans that sucked in every way, and it made my car a comfortable long distance 80+ mph cruiser. Best thing of all was the car went from a 11mpg at best freeway car to almost 19mpg! Oh, and even better many many times more fun to drive!!!
    At the time I did this I was driving my avatar about 400 miles per day. I don't "do" modern cars at all. I just hate them. This and a simple rear gear change made my car something I could (and did) drive everyday.

Expensive as all get out, but worth every penny!

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you are just looking for a Tremec TKO trans, Keisler isn't the only game in town. I absolutely recomend A.M.P. in Tempe AZ, based on price and service after sale. Tomas and the guys down there know their stuff and do quite a volume of these transmisions so they offer a damn good price. 602-437-2727 800-454-8387

9. ems customer service

ems customer service

i bought a 5speed tko from kiessler, nice guys but left me hanging on the bell housing
    ( small block ford) and throwout bearings/ and shifter items. basically they oversold there ability to deliver or understand some of the assoc parts for the set up.

not sure if i would go back again

10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I talked to a guy at the Kansas City WOW show last weekend and he seams to know his shit
    Dederichs Motorsports 682 365 5555, Joe is his name overdrive his game!

11. SBC/WBC/BBC

SBC/WBC/BBC
    from Canada

Good information. Good information.

12. If you're using a Ford engine there are many choices. Modern Driveline is one. I have the earlier 3550 in my 32. I used a Ford bell housing that was made for that trans. It all works very good. I used a midshift kit to move the shifter to clear the seat. Check their website for more info.

13. Cerberus

Cerberus

^^^^^Bruce Couture is good people. He owns Modern Driveline. In 2004, I purchased my first Tremec ,a TKO500 from him in San Jose, Ca. A few years ago, I saw him at the SEMA Show. He said he moved his business to Idaho. His customer service is second to none. The day I picked up the TKO500 from his garage, he called me that night. Bruce said, I made a mistake and sold you a TKO for a SBF and you have a FE390. I'll be at your house in the morning to swap out the input shaft and bearing retainer. The next morning, I had the TKO on my welding table, and he made the necessary changes. What a guy!

14. Dunk54

Dunk54

This is good reading. I'm currently trying to source a TKO600 to go into my 54 Belair. I'm trying to get the best 'kit' as possible as the whole lot is going in a crate with a 355 SBC and coming over to the UK so I need to be sure it's all good. The Keissler kit for the 55-57 comes with some sheet metal pre-cut for the tunnel mods. Anyone know if this would be the same on the 54? I'm going froma 235, 3 OTT stock set up to the 355 and 5-speed manual. I'm pretty sure the mid-mounted shifter is he right one to retain the bench seat (thanks to need louvres for putting me onto this option). Cheers for any info and apologies to SBC for jumping the thread :)

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

The floor of a 54 BelAir is very similar to a 55 BelAir. Keisler didn't offer the tunnel sheetmetal when I ordered from them. So, I went with Eckler's tunnel sheetmetal. Used nutserts so the sheetmetal can be removed. The mid-shift location is ideal for bench seats. See my 56 install pix.

Attached Files:

16. lht

lht

a buddy of mine has one sweeet!

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I had a mid shifter on mine in the Plymouth for ever, and it worked very well with the bench for placement, but the shifter itself didn't last very long. I don't know who is offering them now, but I replaced my midshifter four times in the first 7 years I drove the car due to leakage. In this latest rebuild I ended up going back to the stock rear shifter flipped to the forward posistion and reangled my home made aluminum handle to work. When I have back up and running I'll let everyone know how it worked.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have an aluminum headed Chrysler 360 in my car with a TKO500 and a 3.23 geared rear with a 26.6" tall rear tire. At 75 I'm clickin' off 2100 RPM. I live in a section of the states where it's frequently a 100 miles or so between towns, and we take advantage of that fact by driving a bit faster than most folks around the country. Running between here and L.A. it's common to cruise in the 90-100 mph range, so that's where my car is geared to be comfortable. For your goals you might step up a notch and go more like a 3.55 with the same sized tire. Should get you pretty close.

20. Dunk54

Dunk54

Just realised you told me pretty mcuh the same on a previous thread I started!! Doh!!

Man, my brain is getting fried trying to get as much sorted pre-crating and shipping. Thanks for the heads up again. The cutting doesn't look too major, should be able to make something up in way of a cover if I can;t get hold of one. Cheers.

21. Dunk54

Dunk54

Having read this and a few other comments I'm going to try the rear position flipped and play around with the shifter handle. I'll post up pics when it goes in.

22. Brewton

Brewton

I'm in the process of swapping out my M-22 for a TKO-600. I got all my stuff from Keisler....they have been very helpful. I am still waiting on a hydraulic line for my throw-out bearing, but other than that they got all my stuff to me quickly. They also have very good instructions they send with the kit. Can't wait to start pulling gears with the new trans....

23. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I ordered the RS 5 speed from Kirslers because of 3 things. 1 no modifications needed to the floor 2 less money than the TKO 3 no 2-3 shift issues like the TKO

I can not at this time tell you if this all works as promised but hope so soon

By the way this is going in a 57 Chevrolet

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have heard several time of 2-3 shift problems with Tremec 5 speeds, but never from people that own them. Mine shifts like butter even after being beat on for over a 100,000 miles. Always has! I would love to hear from others about these problems that HAVE had them happen.

25. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

26. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I did a TKO 600 from Keisler about 3.5 years ago, swapped it out for an M21 and 4.56s. Made a world of difference in my car. The gears are a much wider spread than an old school close ratio like an M21 or M22. My motor has a huge torque band and I always felt the gears were too close with the close ratio trans. I went with 3.55 rear gears and the .82 overdrive, with a 27" tire. Turns 2500 at 70 in 5th and launches like an M22 and 4.56s.

I've not had shift problems with mine, some evidently do, Liberty has some fixes if you need them. I did hurt my inputshaft bearing last April launching, but not all was correct I came to find out later. When I installed the trans I checked runout of the bellhousing, and it came in at .008, at the time the paperwork recommended less than .010. Now after talking to Keisler on the phone the recommendation is less than .005. Definitley worth checking.

Devin

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

28. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

The Keislers RS is now installed in the 57. WOW the first impression is super cool. Only drove it 10 miles tonight after installing the new delivered driveshaft. I will put more miles on it ASAP and keep you informed

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

How much further back is the TKO trans mount compared to the M22?

30. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.