Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures The Art Of Taping...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

A keen eye and a steady hand.....Thats Rad!

3. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I want to see the finished product!

4. silverdome

silverdome

I Second That!

COOL, STEADY & VERY INTRICATE.

5. zep058

zep058

You beat me to it Ryan, I had watched that today twice and had thought of sending you the link.
    I need to see the final result...at Chopped next weekend hopefully.

6. Thanks... It was awesome watching him tape out his vision for the design.

7. That series gets better each time. Very nice.

8. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Cool....kinda mesmerizing................

9. Brog

Brog

Absolutely beautiful.

What if he put all of that tape on and realized he didn't want the color under it, fuckkkkk! hahha

10. Not sure about that guy! Thanks to Tom and Aaron for coming out for a visit, let's see what they bang out at Chopped in a week. Cheers -Ryan Ford

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

It would be cool to see it build to some sort of resolution, wether that's rolling it out of the booth for a shot of the completed work from above, prepping the products to spray it, or something else. As it sits it just sort of, fades...

That said, I'll take this approach over "the most bitchenest fisheye lens in the world" approach any day.

12. That was amazing. That guy has some incredible skills, especially when he's free-handing those long cuts with a razor blade. That is so hard to do.

I would LOVE to see the finished product!!

13. S.F.

S.F.

that is very kool

14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones

Motivation to get off my ass and make something. Well done fellas.

15. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Who does the music? Sounds like Mermen or maybe Pollo Del Mar. Nice!

16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

A very gifted artist at work . Damn steadiest hands I have ever seen ! Can't wait till next week to see what's next ! I really enjoyed the music as I was listening to the rain hitting the roof on my garage while I was watching him working on a vision that only he could see ! To be that young and have so much talent !

Retro Jim

17. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

BITCHIN!!! FInished product? Patience.... LOTS OF IT!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Speaking from experience, what you can't "see" happening is the almost machine-like control over the pressure of the blade. Too much and you get the dreaded spread between the colors on a hot day. Too little, nasty ragged edges of the finished line. The other thing you can't see is the nearly 3D vision it takes to get there, to see it finished in your own mind like a blueprint to builder. The tape in and of itself is an art form, yet temporary like something nature lets us see for only a few days, then it's gone. The tape gets wadded up into a sticky ball of glue and paper, tossed in trash, it's job is done.

This is the juice for the craftsman. This is the reason that to the right eye, a car that's perfectly blocked out in primer has look that inspires. It's not kool because it's primer, it's a clean sheet of paper. It makes the car's lines look like they may never look again once covered in glossy smooth paint. Same with a perfect bare metal finished body. The craftsmanship is there, naked for the whole world to see, ready to be dressed in a classy outfit of individual color. You're right Ryan, it's these things that really do take you in. It's a vision coming to life. I almost don't want to see the finished product. I like imagining all the different ways and colors that it could be. Thanks bro...

19. KCsledz

KCsledz

love it! hope they do a follow up on this one!

20. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Some good video work and some talented taping work too. Can't imagine how much time that much take. I'd probably be dead before I ever got it done. I can't even seem to manage getting a 1 solid color shot onto my truck, let alone 6 years worth of taping.

21. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Exactly what I was thinking...but couldn't find the words!

22. bob-o

bob-o

Any pics of how the paint came out ???

23. bob-o

bob-o

You're certainly a talented individual. I checked out some more of your stuff online. Wow. Very nice work, Ryan :)

24. Pretty mesmerizing! That dude's back has to be killing him. I'd like to see the finished paint job as well!!

25. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

the hands of a surgeon and the patience of a saint. this is one of those instances where either you have it or you don't. not any old joe blow is gonna pickup an exacto knife, a pencil and a roll of fine line and put down lines like this dude. true arteest right there my friends!

26. what artist is the music by??

27. The one other thing that hasn't been mentioned is the concentration and focus needed to mask off the patterns . After about a half hour or so you can't see straight and start going crosseyed. Beer only makes it worse .:)

28. Ryan (Cochrane) -

Cool video ... thanks for sharing!

Ryan (Kustom Linez) Ford -

Wow! ... I second what bob-o said! ... I've always enjoyed your posts in the "Friday Art Show" threads, but (until now) had never checked out your website ... You're quite a gifted artist:

Ryan Ford - 'Caferacer' striping.jpg Ryan Ford - 'Spark' tattoo design.jpg
    Ryan Ford - Helmet.jpg Ryan Ford - 'Strugglers Gully II Gasser' lettering.jpg Ryan Ford - bicycle frame.jpg
    Ryan Ford - Greek-style pinstriping.jpg Ryan Ford - Skulls.jpg Ryan Ford - Sketch.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

29. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I wonder if Ryan is related to Kyle Ford? I met Kyle a couple of years back @ the Salt & then the HAMB Drags......Oh yea, "Nice!"......This video is like watching a spider build it's web, mesmerizing with great detail to catch all.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

30. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Oh yea, "Ryan Ford".