Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I had to sell my gasser to keep a roof over my head, I didn't want to but sometimes you have to act like a grown up. I really wanted a metal working project to work on, I have 2 4x8's of 20ga so I can work without spending money for a while. So some extra parts and some trading later and I'm the proud(?) owner of a '40 Ford coupe that was in a garage that burned to the ground.

I've never used a shrinking disc before, but I think this may be a good time to learn. The rest of the body parts are from a different car so they only need rust repair. Plans are to get all the metal work done and then decide a direction, I'm leaning toward a Lake style coupe.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

wow...gonna save it...cool..and good luck....keep us posted.

3. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

i will follow this thread the metal work alone will be worth the veiw time good luck with it

Dave Downs likes this.
  4. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

good for you...you save some neat stuff and exercise your skills at the same time...:)

5. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

You are certainly ambitious. Good luck.

6. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Nothing wrong with doing what you have to do. Sad to hear you had to sell your gasser, but in the end this may be for the better. You'll get to learn more metalwork, and also get the thrill of the next build. Good luck, doesn't look like too bad of a start.

badgascoupe likes this.
  7. Jim Sideways

Jim Sideways
    from Ohio

I like 40 Fords. Good luck, keep us posted...

8. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

Not to hijack the thread, but what kind of luck do you generally have working metal that has been burned? I saw a pretty nice old chevy coupe body once years ago that I asked the guy about buying and he said it had been through a fire and even tho it looked pretty good it was ruined and he wouldn't sell it to anybody. He said he had tried to do some work on it and it was hard and brittle and the metal wouldn't work anymore.

slack, thirtytwo and the metalsurgeon like this.
  9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Years ago a friend bought a 39 Chevy coupe which had been in a garage fire some 30 years before that. The guy repainted the car several times and the paint just sloughed off every time after a few weeks or months. We parted it out.

10. Looks like you got a good start there. Good Luck! Mikey

11. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

If it ends up unworkable I'll build a "survivor" dirt car and paint it with house paint.:D

12. One other thing, use some of that "metal etching primer" first, so the paint wont come off.. Mikey

13. RichG

RichG

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

picked a good one to save.
    good luck with it.

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I hope you have some bodacious metal working skills....:cool:

16. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Jesus H. Christ! you have your work cut out buddy...but I've seen worse one turn out great!

17. 61 chevy

61 chevy

make a good rat rod

18. I don't care what sort of metal it is- it will take paint if you have it sandblasted clean and then spray it with epoxy or self-etching primer.

I'd straighten up the overall body shell enough to have consistent gaps for doors, deck lid, etc. I'd even test fit some glass just out of curiosity to see exactly how bad it is. Will be interesting.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'll crush it first.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck, if it was burned, that is one thing, if the fire dept hosed it down that is another. Getting it to stop rusting will be another problem. Not trying to kill your ambition, just passing along things to think about.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. rat seeker

rat seeker

22. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'm going to hose the inside down with rust converter, the outside I'm thinking about scrubbing it with muriatic acid and a scotch brite.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  23. Ghost28

Ghost28

Aww hell being a grown up was the first step. This will be easy, and fun for ya. And prolly ease the pain of selling your gasser...John
    I know how right your choice was.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  24. onedge

onedge

1/2 done I like your state of mind. Good luck.

25. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I've see guys start with lots worse and end up with some pretty incredible cars. It'll take time and bunch of work, but it's savable. Good luck.

Mart3406

26. solid

solid

Look good nose high, with some americans, or halibrands.you need a new gasser anyways...

osage orange likes this.
  27. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Don't let anything or anyone talk you into a funk. I suppose some would just buy a fiberglass whatever body. You can save it. In my many decades of rodding life I have found that 80% of doing it is having the stones to start. Much worse has been pulled back from the dead. Please, keep us updated.

28. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

You can do it. Keep on it.

Bring it back to life.

29. fleetside66

fleetside66

Just curious, seriously, how does burning off paint/bondo & then exposing the metal to water any different than stripping the paint (in any fashion) & having it flash rust. I stripped stuff with vinegar, for example, & almost immediately had to fight a light coat of oxidation. How does this compare to any sort of surface rust situation? Is there a different sort of problem with this particular car (if it was indeed hosed down)?

30. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Good answer