Register now to get rid of these ads!

How To Narrow A 9 Inch Ford Rear End Housing:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drive Em, Aug 26, 2009.

1. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

2. brandonwillis

brandonwillis
    from Tucson AZ

3. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393748

just to make the "straightening" thread easy to find

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Very cool, thanks!

5. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

also to add on resplining axles, you cant turn down 31 spline axles turning them into 28spline .
    you also have to pay attention to what axles you get. alot of the 70's axles have several different diameters on them and you cant just grab an axle and cut it off and start turning on it expecting it to work... you cut the hardness out of the axle making it useless... ive resplined a couple sets of axles and i splined/cut them to fit tight, they still ended up twisting after a couple years of service..

i would recommend just spending the money on good axles if your going to the effort and expense to cut down a rearend you can afford some nice axles..

6. 65stepside

65stepside

once again postin so i can find it later

7. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

Thank you most informative ,I knew it wasn,t rocket science and as she goes measure, measure, measure thanks good post later

8. fitzee

fitzee

Nice post.I take it the hosing was large bearing before? I have shorten a number of housings but never like this. cool.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

thanks for bringing this one back up!

10. Great tech!! Now if you only had the same "tech" for the 57 Olds/Pont rear ends for us old Farts!! Thanx, Dave

Panel Pete likes this.
  11. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

use 9inch housing ends?

doug warren likes this.
  12. Big bearing ends can be used, have to turn the O/P axles down to Ford bearing size if I remember right.

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good tech. Hope everyone was paying attention or at least bookmarking this thread.

Frank

14. Larry T

Larry T

I always thought early Olds/Pontiac and a LOT of the Ford 9" rear ends used the same axle bearing (old BCA 514003???).
    Narrowing procedure should be similar, just check all of the dimensions before you start.
    Larry T

15. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

great read man, im about to tackle the 9" for my RPU. THANKS!

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great TECH article, very well done....and THANK YOU for making the time to do it for all of us.

17. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

another "search" that was just what i needed, thanks for posting this. gotta love this place! george

18. Nice tech and pix - thanx for showin us how ya do it !!

I think i need to fab up one of those alignment bars....Im gonna have to grease my mate with the lathe haha !!

Rat

19. When you install the dummy pumpkin you do use a housing gasket ? If not how do you account for its final installation offset ? Small as it would be its still there,right.

20. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It's still there. You can go either way. The crushed thickness is minimal. Most housings are flexing as much unless well braced. We've built many dozens for drag racing and never had a failure due to alignment issues and never use a gasket in mock up.

21. d.reese

d.reese
    BANNED

I know this is a older how to, but what if the axel splined ends end up with 1/4" gap instead of the 1 1/8 space between them?

After axels installed total splined area on axels is 3 1/4" total.

Are the splines going to line up with the splines in the 3rd member?

22. oj

oj

The gap is a non issue if you have a spool, if you have a carrier then you need the gap as things are going on in the middle of the carrier - look into it and you'll see a pin. A spool is just open space and an axle can pass thru if it is a floater type without an axle flange.
    The year old question about the gasket, i did them for many years without the gasket. About 10 years ago i started useing a gasket trying to achieve perfection, does it matter? i don't know but i just feel better taht i have made every possible effort to make the best that i can. It takes a micrometer to see the difference.

23. 56_Bel_Air

56_Bel_Air

I wish forums would host pictures because all threads end up this way. Great write up, wish there were pictures.

24. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just found this 8yr old thread. Dam photo bucket strikes again. Sure would love to see the pictures.

25. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

super keen to see this reposted with the original pics

warhorseracing likes this.
  26. I agree. Is there any ay to get around this foto bucket thing? I never used it.

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Good thread.
    I have narrowed five housings by taking some short cuts that worked for me. I'll share them at the risk of being criticized for cutting so many corners. But all I can say is for very narrow axle housings (one '33 Willys, two '48 Anglias, one '30 A drag roadster P/U, a rail) it has worked for me. Narrow housings are less prone to warping at the ends. I use brackets that have a 360 degree wrap to minimize distortion and I try to make one set of brackets serve several functions (e.g. shock brackets, ladder bar / 4-bar mounts, wheelie bar mounts, Panhard bar mounts, etc.).

First I cut off the ends. Then measure the amount the housing needs shortened. In this case I wanted a pinion-centered housing so I used the gauge shown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I square up the ends. And put on a chamfer for the welding to follow.

[​IMG]

This is the innovative part. I turn a wooden plug to fit inside the housing and the ends. It should be a few thousandths bigger than the I.D. of those parts so that it can be tapped inside the housing with an interference fit. Leave a little flange in the middle equal to the desired weld root opening and to square up both pieces.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    fauj likes this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]

I square up the ends. And put on a chamfer for the welding to follow.

[edit: somehow I'm having trouble getting my pics to load. I'll keep trying.]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    fauj likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I cut a notch in the plug.Every 9" welded housing has a weld bead inside it. I use the notch to align the tubes to the ends so the backing plates are aligned and indexed.

[​IMG]

fauj likes this.