Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodding in Hawaii... Hao Wela!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I am envious!

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Me too. We miss the islands Bad! Kauai is our next island to explore. Any suggestions?

Kevin & Penny
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

3. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

I want to go to Hawaii more than anything. This was a great read!

Piero, isn't your favorite rap group from Hawaii?

4. 50merc808

50merc808

kevin i've never been to kauai yet but i heard it's chill, probably just like the north shore on oahu. you guys need to make it back again so we can hang out.

5. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

We are on our way back bro. Next June we will be back on the North Shore to hang out. This time all week on the beach. Watch "The Big Bounce" movie. Thats where we'll be, right on Sunset Beach. Cookout on the beach for our Hamb friends, and then on to Haleiwa Joe's. Cholo's one night too. Yeah, lottsa fun.

Kevin & Penny
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

6. 50merc808

50merc808

we'll be there fo sho!

7. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Yes Joyo your right...

I did see allot of these.... its old school ... and thats the trend for sure..

OLD SCHOOL TOYOTA<br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="transparent"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=22879017,t=1,mt=video"/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=22879017,t=1,mt=video" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. Love this thread guys I recognize all those cars from Maui.Lot of nice cars over here on the big island' anybody coming to the big island should give me a call I can hook you up.

9. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

Here's some recomendations...
    For breakfast, Kountry Kitchen in Kapa'a
    For Luau, Smith's Tropical Paradise and Fert Grotto Boat Tours.
    Speaking of boats, rent a kayak and paddle up the Wailua River, Hawaii's only navigatable river.
    Take the Movie Tour, and spring for the total off road package. You get to tour CocoPalms where Elvis filmed. It's sad to see now, but still cool.
    If you want to take a boat tour, use Blue Dolphin, the 5 hour NaPali Cruise is great, pony up a few bucks extra and scuba dive.
    Snorkeling, go to Lydgate (if it's open). Calm, protected, warm waters.
    Need any more, let me know!

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So this car is one year out of HAMB favor but I would guess it is still there. This is me doing a little work on my 65 Sunbeam tiger in 1967 in Ala Mona park.........I still miss the place bad....really bad

[​IMG]

11. 50merc808

50merc808

just for sh1t$ n giggles here's another video from a local boy EMIRC representing oahu.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3fpAWebLU

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  12. I go to Maui every November, I've seen the tourquise taxi in Lahina and talked to the guy, he's had it forever. I've met lot's of rodders, several bring their cars to the states and travel from show to show (lot's of Goodguys events). A lot of the hot rods over there are glass because of the salt air. One guy I met who works in a carpet and drape place in Lahina has a couple of steel cars stored on the mainland and has three glass cars on Maui. One thing for sure, you can always walk up to a hot rodder and strike up a conversation...an make a friend.

13. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

UPDATE: I saw a pair of '52 chevies in someones driveway,I'll try to take a pic ( if new wife hasn't drained out the camera batteries) ...I did see an International woody of all things .

We went to waimea canyon today boy , what a drive to the top! 20 miles of climbing twisting roads ,scenery beyond belief!! It was fun even in a Pt cruiser (yuck).
    We did the Smith family luau last night,and the Blue Dolphin Boat ride tommorow.
    W'ell get breakfast at Kontry Kitchen next time ,we went to the Tip Top restaurant today and it was only o.k.
    We still have 5 more days to stay so.... ummm.... aloha

14. La Mariana Sailing Club......my favourite place to go in Honolulu.

15. I'm flying in to Honolulu tomorrow night, looking forward to spending a week or so checking the place out, first trip there, really excited about it.
    Camera will be packed, photos to follow!!

16. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

Lydgate for swimming/snorkeling is tops, but I know it's been closed lately..BOO!!!
    I HIGHLY recommend the Hawaiian French Toast at Kountry Kitchen!!!
    The drive into Waimea reminded me a LOT of the roads in your state...Lots of pine trees and twisty roads!

What did ya think of Smiths and Blue Dolphin? Which cruise did you do? Is the Fern Grotto reopened?

P.S. Watch out for German tourists!!!

17. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

It almost goes without saying, but go to Pearl Harbor! VERRRRY humbling...

18. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

while there you have to live like a local............wake up very hungover in the rainbow towers
    ( Hilton) lagoon...........doesn't get much better

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  19. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

LOL!
    Last time I was there, the resort bar closed kinda early for me (meamning like 9pm). There were a few locals who knew the bartender there along with the guitarist that had played earlier. They all invited me to stay and we all hung out till the wee hours, drinking the hotel's booze...Good times!!!

20. BurtDiesel

BurtDiesel
    from CT

Saw this bad boy for free...too bad shipping is so expensive.

Attached Files:

21. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Yeah, Pearl Harbor is a must do for anybody that has never seen it. Tons of history there. If you are there on wed. or sat. don't miss "Trade Days" or "Swap Meet" at Hawaii stadium across the street. Lots of bargains to be had.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

22. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

unfortunately the classy taxi burned down last year, the guy that owned it is really cool and is in the process of rebuilding it. the phaeton was a glass car and so is the one pictured sitting on the lawn. i havent met any of the rodders over here yet, which is odd considering i drive my 64 Country Squire daily. i have seen a couple of traditional looking cars but mostly just 80's and 90's style street rods. i do live on the west side so that probably plays a big part in not seeing more cars.

i did however see something here the other day that i would have never expected and it kind of put me in a bad mood for a minute. there was a fully geared out Rockasilly couple driving a primered 52 Olds? four door, and im going to go ahead and call this one a rat rod because they removed the stock grille and replaced it with Pabst Blue Ribbon tall boys! wtf. next time i see the car i will try to take some pictures, im sure theres more ridiculous accesories on the car but i just couldnt stop cursing at the frontend. never expected to see somthing like that over here but it could have been worse.

on a lighter note its hard not to have a smile on your face driving an old car along the coastline here, i am going though serious hot rod withdrawls though and im in the planning stages of shipping some stuff out here. i wish it wasnt so damn expensive or all my tools, and stuff would already be out here.

no complaints though, i love island life :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Lucky444

Lucky444

Eh! You guys realize I grew up on Kauai yeah? Let me know if you're serious about going there. It's super chill!

24. Lucky444

Lucky444

25. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Yeah we knew... Just wondered if you and Tracy were ready to be tour guides? We are serious about it, maybe a day trip or something??? Super Chill is good, right?

Attached Files:

26. Lucky444

Lucky444

Hell, we're always looking for a good excuse to go home! Super chill is excellent. Just too bad the Super Ferry between islands went belly up, we coulda taken the Chevy over. Damn.

27. When I was there a couple years ago, the people in the closest house to that truck were using it as an attraction to sell weed. I stopped to look at the truck and the guy started yelling from his front yard to wait there. He rushed right over with a sample.
    [​IMG]

There's plenty off cool cars over there. Wonder what ever happed to the panel delivery by Mama's Fish house that was replaced a couple years after the photo.
    [​IMG]

I love Hawaii. Went the 1st time in 1973 for my honeymoon, stayed at a now gone landmark, The Waikikian. It was awesome. Got hooked on the islands, the culture and history. Been back many times over the years, mostly to Maui and sometimes the Big Island.

If you're in Maui and get a chance, go see our friend Willie K
    http://www.williek.com/
    tell him mrMetalic's mom and dad sent you.

Attached Files:

28. Carguy365-24-7

Carguy365-24-7

Got home on Friday .I really did not want to leave.
    Here is the International woody that we saw .The other pic is of me swimming in Queens bath ,moments before discovering that I had my keys and wallet in my pocket..We got lucky ,the rental started after getting the electonic key wet.
    We hope to go back someday!! Alooooohaaa

Attached Files:

29. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

hey tetanus i remember seeing your wagon last month when i was hangin out there, i was jus cruisin along and buying coconut candy from the roadside stands. someday ill live there too...

30. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

Wow, you went to Queen's Bath and SURVIVED? That place kills quite a few every year... Google it and see! The locals are trying to get it removed from the guidebooks.