Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1948 Plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, May 28, 2009.

1. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

I always had a soft spot for 46-48 Plymouths, growing up my dad had a 47 conv, and I just loved that car! My father still has NOS parts all over the attic for it and keeps thinking bout selling the parts, I talk him out of it every time! I will have one-some day!

2. Attached Files:

3. gnarleynick

gnarleynick
    from ____

Ollin--does your buddy live in grand terrace? I seen this car a couple weeks ago. That thing rocks!!

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

Those fat fendered Plymouths have some great lines.

5. vertible59

vertible59

Yes, that's the car. I was driving and working on a '41 Plymouth 2-dr back then, and just could not believe that MoPar made the cover of R&C. Sorry about your brother...

6. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

That my man is a very nice ride! Need to see more of this one.

7. James Curl

James Curl

And about those old flathead I/6s, if built right are very reliable. I drove mine from Texas to Calif then to Bonneville and back home, 4600 miles. Ran 75 mph from El Paso to Junction so they will keep up with traffic with the right gearing.

8. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I recently ran across a 41 business coupe and simply couldn't pass it up. I looked on the HAMB and saw a few great photos of dropped and chopped 41 kustoms. I just had to have it....I'll be searching the HAMB for guidance on suspension, since I understand that the IFS was pretty good in these cars. Maybe just add a Fatman dropped upright and disc brakes and call it done. I don't have a stock engine but could probably get my hands on one. I'll have to decide if I go that route or just put in a 318 or 340. In any case, the lines on these coupes are simply beautiful....

9. fat141

fat141

GOODGUYS HOT ROD CHRONICLES has pics and the history :)

10. sololobo

sololobo

I have always loved these body lines. Often overlooked selections that make cool cruisers and hot rods. But I must admit working with MoPars is a challenge. Trying to get my rebuilt shortblock back together is a friggin nightmare. The small block Chevy is calling my name. Just be prepared for a little more work when you choose these sweet body styles. ~Sololobo~

11. Brewton

Brewton

There was a good looking '48 - '50ish (I'm guessing) Plymouth at the Roundup this year. Flat black, chopped, lowered - sweet interior! Anybody know this car or have some pics of it?

12. thinkfink

thinkfink

1940 and 1941 and the 1942-48 business coupes (with the shorter roofline) are beautiful. If you compare stock to stock the flow better than ford (the hump in the roof) or chevy of these years.

But I am strongly biased.

And the Plymouths are horrible to find parts for, so expect a LOT of work.

here is another old one

Attached Files:

13. Yeah I dig 'em!! Had a '46 sedan that I liked but was too far gone for me to tackle at the time so I sold it. :(

I would like another so read my signature, please.

14. Four pages of appreciation to Mopars on mighty H.A.M.B? World really isn't the same anymore, did the prices double already??? :D

One shot of my '46 in it's previous appearance

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  15. OLLIN

OLLIN

16. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Found a couple pics. Car belonged to a guy in Oregon. My brother went to rod runs in Boise and being one who never met a stranger got a lot of these guys to come down to SoCal, especially at LA Roadster show time. The owner of the Plymouth was one of those friends and eventually sold the car to Tom. I have no clue as to what happened to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one for the guy who posted the code of conduct:

[​IMG]

And the guy himself, Tom Richey:

[​IMG]

17. just started mine last week , doing it all at once , rebuilding drivetrain, body off , bagging frame, chopping 4 inches in front , 5 or 6 rear , flusk mount skirts, molding in lake pipes, thinking about molding in frenched dual headlights , and possibly swapping out the grill with a 1950 buick, iam going to really get some good pics of progress of this build , didnt get a whole lot of detail shots when i chopped my pontiac

Attached Files:

18. I have to agree, I think they are good lookin' cars.
    Then again, maybe I'm a little biased.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  19. Clark

Clark

Here's an update on the purple car I posted earlier. It's now blue,smooth and shiny. It's also sporting a Kaiser bumper guard on a Plymouth bumper out back now.
    Clark

Attached Files:

20. plmczy

plmczy

Clark is that Bill's mopar?

21. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

I own 2 46-48 desoto's very close to plymouth's in most respects but I can say some of my fondest memories of childhood had to do with my pops 48'plymouth. Can still remember the waterworks when my pop sold her.

22. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

i have been after a 47-48-49 mopar business coupe for a long time

23. RPM Ron

RPM Ron

I like the grill treatment

24. FLAT BLACK 42

FLAT BLACK 42
    from West coast

I just picked up a 48 Plymouth vert 2 weeks ago a totall project car...

25. moparjack44

moparjack44

1948 DeSoto, with 392 Hemi
    [​IMG]

26. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

That's one bad ass ride.

27. YOu guys think plymouth parts are hard to find??? Try finding dodge stuff!!!!!!

28. moparjack44

moparjack44

Try finding DeSoto parts.

29. Man Denise you need to find better company, Grumpy Coatney of all people!! :eek: HI DON!!:D

30. chris' 38

chris' 38

Just picked up a 1947 business coupe, to go with my 38 coupe. Needs some work but price was right. original,same family since new, runs and drives, brand new Coker radials, gas tank, break lines , plus a bunch mOre parts. Wish I knew how to post pics from phone.