Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cab's 1927 T Roadster Pickup Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chuckles Garage, May 28, 2009.

1. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

This will be a traditional hotrod. The end.

Here's the mockup...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But really... Stevie has been collecting parts for a hotrod build for quite some time. Originally this was going to be a modified in the style of notch's truck, but has evolved into what we have here, a late 40's dry lakes era 27 T roadster pickup.

Stevies dream has been to build his own hotrod, and I'm stoked to be part of teaching him all the related skills involved and to build a dope hotrod in the process.

Don't worry, the gap between the rails and body will disappear.

Ingredients:
    • 27 RPU Body
    • 32 Ford Commercial Grille
    • E&J's
    • Shadow Rods Deuce rails
    • Ionia hotrods boxing plates and x-member
    • A front and rear crossmembers
    • 3" dropped and drilled front axle 40 Ford?
    • 59AB Flatmotor with a tasty Weiand intake with 2 97's
    • Navarro heads
    • 39 Ford trans
    • 39 Pedal assembly
    • 46-48 Ford rear with a Halibrand QC and unsplit rear bones.
    • 40 ford front bones
    • Real-deal aluminum bomber seats from an AT-11
    • 48 f1 steering box
    • Delco hydraulic lever shocks
    • 40 ford brakes in front
    • 16" Kelseys
    • 5.00-16's in front, and 7.00-16's out back.
    • A or T steering wheel
    Stevie and I will be updating this as work progresses....enjoy and let the flaming begin!

Scotty, Chuckles Garage

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  2. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

Looks like it's gonna be a cool ride man. Keep us posted.

3. cretin

cretin

Cool! This should be a fun build to watch.

4. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Looks good!

Cool Parts!!

5. Great project Cab, I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a great project. I'll be watching this one as I've got just about everything you have pictured laying around here. It might light a fire.

Frank

7. Cool project
    Looking forward to this build

8. Good deal Cab! Good luck!

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

If I 'member right, AT-11 seats are on the tall side...you gonna chop em?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

I'd like to have that pile-o-parts in my garage! Looks like fun...

12. SOHC427

SOHC427

That looks great, and I look forward to watching the build,

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The AT 11 shared the same seats as the early Beech 18 civil models. They are pretty tall.
    Doc.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PS, man that cant be traditional, not with them modern jack stands!!

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is going to be awesome!!! Cab always has an eye for style and all of his cars thus far have been pretty classy. Can't wait to watch this one come together!!!

My only critique on the build plan this far is those E&J headlights. Not sure why people like them and would choose the over some nice BLC's. Who am I though, just some goon with only a sliver of the style that you guys have.

16. thats a rad start guys. i think that will fit ya beter steve than the other pick up

17. cant wait to follow this build

18. cball

cball

Can't wait too see more.

19. Nice Cab, you're gonna love it. If this turns out 1/2 as nice as your last rod I am sure it will be impressive.

20. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

windshield stanchions need to be shorter.

[​IMG]

monkey see....monkey do. Since this hotrod is a classroom of sorts for Stevie, I do one side, and he does the other. After we were done, he was able to metalfinish with the pro's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

welded together and finished all purdy.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, all I have to do is survive Cab's horrifying flatulence. This guy toots more than a steam train. My dogs fart less than he does.

21. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Joe Mac would LOVE IT! Cab- you are definitely headed in the right direction! Awesome! Jim

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

sweet! it's Ralph Malph's car!

23. Coupe-De-CAB

Coupe-De-CAB
    from Nor Cal

First off i wanna say thank you for all the kind comments and also the support here on the Hamb, i'm looking forward to this build just as much as you guys because i get to do it, we'll as much as i can handle with the limited fabrication skills i have at the moment, but this will be a fun time because i love to learn, so thanks again.

Second, I'm stoked to have such a good friend and great (very patient) teacher, Scotty, to help me along the way, so for this i feel blessed:)

In training...

[​IMG]

fab32 ... i hope this does light a fire for ya, because this is what it's about, encouraging others to create and be creative.

3wLarry and Doc ... i haven't measured those Beech-18's yet, but i think they will fit, since we are taking out the original seat bench and laying these on the floor. I don't wanna chop them, but i think they should fit fine ...we'll see, i still need to bring them over to the garage.

JeffreyJames ...I have always liked the look of those headlights and not many run them (we'll if you don't live in Sweden, as seen from the Scrapers car show) around the neck of my woods. I could go with the BLC's but i just wanna be a bit different (style-wise) with this RPU.

Probesport ...Thanks and i do hope it does turn out at least as good as the old coupe, but we'll see, Alex Gambino is sure a hard act to follow with all his years of experience and awesome talent! At least Scotty and I have something to shoot for and we do have faith, literally, we can come up with something close:)

JimA ...Thanks for the thought and hey, i'll be ringing ya up soon for some extra odds and ends to put this ride together, i'll be in touch my friend!

Paul ...Ralph's car is a 29, but yea this ride will see some Happy Days in the near future:)

cheers,
    cab

Last edited: May 29, 2009
  24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I here you, BLC's are definitely the norm but I think that's for a reason. I sometimes think that when there is ONE thing that is sticking out like a sore thumb it hurts the overall look of the car. I am sure that if done right (which I am sure you'll do) they look awesome.

This is probably going to be you most fun mode of transportaion to date....oh wait 2nd!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROPhpIpmWus&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROPhpIpmWus&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

25. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

gonna be cool. keep us posted.

26. Cab - Plan on tying in any skate themes to it? I use a wheel for a shift knob and have a few old school Powell logos on my ride. I plan on using some blank decks when I redo the flooring.

-Ken

27. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Very Cool Cab... theres nothing like building a car for yourself and with good friends!!!

Can't wait to follow this one...

28. chopz56

chopz56

I've got a 27 touring car that i want to turn into a roadster pick-up!Keep it up i need inspiration for mine,if i don't sell it soon!Being laid off really sucks!

29. Looks like fun Cab...

Gonna have a lot of folks watching this one...