Register now to get rid of these ads!

This or That

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Noland

Noland

those are some cool customs

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like the chevy, It has always been 1 of my favorites, I think the side trim is 59 bel air or el camino. Watson was a genius, a simple outlining of the trim and around the bottom of the car in the scallop color really works for me, I dont know why you dont see more of that today

4. Rem

Rem

Is the Chevy flashy? Compared to a lot of cars you see from back then, it looks remarkably restrained - but 'showy' enough to stand out in a row of stock ones.

Anyway, I'd take the Chevy on this occasion. If the Ford was up against, say the Golden Sahara, then I think it would be the Ford.

5. Yaril

Yaril

i question this very same thing often. i look at my Buick and its black paint and sometimes wonder "what if", perhaps that is why there are so many renditions of these cars. changes made from year to year, the owners themselves didn't know what they liked better, no question that they were dead on in just about any rendition they did. Either way works for me.

6. Nomad

Nomad
    from Gretna, NE

These are both very cool customs, but I think they both fall into the "clean and subtle" category. True, the '58 uses bold colors, but the paint is nowhere near as wild as many Watson jobs, and the modifications are all very understated - the clean trim, Pontiac taillights, and what appear to be radiused wheel openings all look like they should have come from the factory.

Hard to pick between the two, but I think I'd go for the '58. And I think I'll be shopping for Kustomland sometime soon.

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Depends on the mood I'm in. Both cars serve different functions for me.
    If they were both parked in my driveway, how I felt would determine which keys I grab off the table.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There is nothing subtle about that '58 in my book. It's just tastefully done is all...

9. damnfingers

damnfingers

The 55 - love the clean look.

And the model beside it looks a lot nicer than the guys around the 58.:D

10. VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE

VERNOR-GREEN GARAGE
    from Michigan

I always go clean and subtle, was raised with my dads 56 Chev straight black nosed ,decked,shaved full moons/wide whites and 56 packard tailights,mild but noticeble

11. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

both of those are so clean, that it's hard for me to say I like one or the other more.... but if I had to pick one, I'd go with the Chev. It just flows so well, and Ryan is right, the stance is killer.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've wondered that, too. I hope to pull off the Watson look when I eventually paint my Galaxie.

Always being a fan of Watson's work, I really dig the '58. It just doesn't get much better.

Malcolm

13. nexxussian

nexxussian

I'm lazy, so the '55 would be my choice.

Soud screwy? Gimmie a minute.

The 'clean' (and subtle) look they appear to be going with on the Ford looks like (even though it probably isn't) easier to keep clean (detailed, whatever) then the '58. The Chevy has the appearance of wanting constant attention (wax, polish, etc Note: I said 'appears' not 'has to have').

Further, the Chevy as it is finished would need a more complex (showier, higher maintenance) interior to match up with the exterionr. While the Ford would need something more than rubber floor mats, an interior that is easily cleaned, that you don't need to worry about people's shoes (okay, no oil, manure, concrete, etc coated footwear). I guess what I'm saying is the Ford looks to be built more to the idea of 'drive it' where the Chevy (in this case) appears to be more of a 'show it' car.

Hopefully that made sense.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I love them both but could only see myself parking the '55 Ford in my garage. Cool, Clean and Calm.

15. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

I really dig the newbook and the way its put together. I keep picking it up and flipping through it so i prob. should have gotten another one with the abuse this already is taken...:)
    I've always dreamed of 'cloning' that '58 Chevy and someday i will for sure....

16. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

love em both,hafta go with the subtle one tho,the 55

17. The '58 is what you would expect of a nice early '60's custom. Very predictable. The '55 is a killer. The restraint shown there is amazing.

I'd take the '55 & never look back.

JH

18. Rikster

Rikster

I have always loved the Jim Doss 1958 Chevy. At least the first version as shown in Ryans post. Perfect customizing in body, details and paint. The front section of the side trim is – as far as I know – flipped side trim from the rear quarters. And is so much better looking than the bulbious stock front section of the 58 side trim.
    Watson's paint treatment on this version is one of his best ever.

I'm still waiting for my book to arrive, and with this review I really cant wait any longer now.

Here are a few photos of the later version, more outlines and fades added, plus it looks like the suspention was raised????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. 'Mo

'Mo

I love the Chevy.
    For me the crowning element (both versions) is the double line striping
    that makes the scallops pop (white edged with black).

Ed Roth also was a master at using multi-lines to enhance a shape, rather than draw attention to themselves.

20. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I love the impala. The later panel paint job is nice but just not as clean looking as the original painy work. I'm jones'in for a '58 just looking at it.

21. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I like them clean and subtle. The flashy cars are cool, but I have always leaned towards the mild custom.

22. roddinron

roddinron

Well, it would be a little easier to choose if they were both the same model. They're both beautiful cars, but it's hard not to be influenced by the model itself. I think if you showed 2 '58 Chevy's or 2 '55 fords with different treatments, it would be a much easier choice. Though I have to agree with some prior statements, that as far as customs go, I don't consider either to be "loud and flashy".
    Oh yeah, I'd take the '58.

23. Slide

Slide

I lean more to the Chevy... just 'cause I'm a sucker for 58 Impalas with scallops that outline the trim (like the Graffiti car). The Ford is killer, too, so don't take this as me not liking that car.

But a couple things that I've been noticing for several years now regarding some attitudes that seem to be prevalent in the traditional rod/custom crowd. Notice how many late-50s builds of customs have a stance where the car is slightly hunkered down in the front? It seems like everyone is trying to drag their rear bumpers. (Not so much lately as it was a couple years ago.) But that seems more of a east coast and very early west coast thing.

The other is that white slacks seem to be much more traditional than cuffed jeans and tattoos. :eek: :D

24. newstranger

newstranger

You're right about it not being subtle... but it doesn't give you an ice-cream headache either.

I don't really like "explosive" paintjobs, if a car gives me sensory-overload I can't look at if for very long (if at all).

Another vote for subtle-yet-flashy (or vice-versa).

-ns

25. The first version of the Chevy was nice, the only way to make it nicer would be a set of reversed chromies instead of the Lancer caps... The second version is too much. I think the Ford is not enough, even though I know wat a PITA it is to get one that low up front.

I know, sell the Lancer caps to the Ford guy!

Oh, and I just ordered the Book, along with the Hot Rod Roots book from the AHRF.

26. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

The '58. It begs for closer inspection, it draws your eye all around the work... whereas the Ford can be surmised with a quick glance here and there.

27. clean and subtle... most people can do that...

doing mild custom "right" ... very few can do that...

knowing where/when to "leave it alone " is the key to both styles

some one(second owners) seems to always go to the next step? and goof em up

28. stan292

stan292

The Ford without hesitation.

I'm a died-in-the-wool Chevy guy, but I almost gagged when I saw the '58s for the first time. I felt they needed to have a foghorn attached as standard equipment as they seemed more like ocean liners that cars. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing follow the beautiful "instant classics" of '57. UGH!

Unlike most people on the HAMB, I feel the '58s were the very lowest point of post-war Chevy design.

Oh well, just personal opinion.

29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw the book at a friends house the other day. I would have to vote for the first version of Jim Doss 1958 Chevy. The book is full of real Kool pictures. I'm not a big fan of that time peroid because they got away from "Kustom" body changes. The art of paint replaced body changes and even though I appreciate what they did, I missed the removal of chrome and emblems. Chop tops seem to be the thing of the past.

The Book is real kool and a must buy.....

Happy Trails,

Mick