Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Road To The GNRS 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCOTT GILLEN, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey there Scott,
    First off I'd say that what you have proposed here would be an honor to have a H.A.M.B. inspired project in the "14 GNRS". I love Model 40's and phantom versions don't bother me and I'm sure that the judges would agree, just go back and see what has won over the past
    60yrs.
    That said, Why not a Cyclone Quickie for race themed tradition, The Ardun mill is a great idea as is much of what you already have. Fit and finish is what seems to set the winner apart from the other contenders.
    A bitchen set of gauges, steering column with a unique style wheel, perhaps something along the line of and 30's indy car or high end Duesey/Pierce Arrow.

That could fit in with your Sprint Car wheel theme as well. Perhaps a scavenger type exhaust along the lines of what Jake did with the yellow coupe back in 73 and a single bar nerf for the rear bumper that could possible include a drop down hidden hitch receiver.

Again, these are just ideas, I've worked on and witnessed Million Dollar Bugatti's go together in much less time and be in the Christies Auction Catalog looking just like it did 30yrs previous to its printing, even though just 2wks before it was a total basket case in raw aluminum needing body work, paint glass interior and total reassembly.

That drophead coupe was gorgeous when it was completed and just $50k to get it done by the auction, seems like small change compared to the figures cited above. I believe that you can and will make this a reality in quality form.

CK.

2. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

I will build you an AMBR winner.

3. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Let's assume that anyone in the game has the skill to build the car, the fit the finish and the build itself will be great, or they won't past the curtain.

Now we have the rest, style color stand's and car.....What will the car be. I think the truck has a great shot because if you look at what has won in the past.....All the same stuff.....How many high boys can you build. Again the fit and finish should not come into play because if you pass the curtain now your in the game. The rest of the car is what is looked at and looked at very close.

I think the build needs to have seamless lines and flow in a way that you don't realize why it flows but that it does. The fenders need to follow a line that pick the car up and again you should not feel this when you look at the car. The whole build need to look like it all belongs just where it is.

The subject of parts has come up many many times, The parts them self need to follow the build of the era, or whats the point in the first place. it's not about what they cost, I have talk to many guys.....Orosco, Ferguson, Brizo and more to see just what was in the day of the era of the build....We all agree the car needs to follow the year.......I think it's the truck and it will need to be.. perfect in every way.......to have a shot

Scott Gillen

4. Words to pin to your 'must' list...

* flow
    * Seamless
    * balance
    * design
    * focus
    * faultless
    * purity
    * driven
    * integrity
    * intent
    * restraint
    * purpose
    * complimentary

As mentioned previously, less is more, and to have the refinement required demands not just the physical element, but the design intent and refrainment from excess, hard to achieve when you need to excel in so many area's, but remain calm and balanced.

just look at this years contenders, the ones that stand tall, there was nothing outlandish, nor excessive, all had a relative calmness that drew you in and made you dig deaper, with hidden story and purpose, gracefully celebrated with utmost subtle balance.

I share your perspective there, and this is the reason why, I feel, the hybrid pickup is not the answer, at least in its principal form, purely because it currently does not illustrate a seamless visual line, nor look balanced.
    The classic model 40 profile conflicts with the box, if you purposely wanted to follow the roadster/pickup theme, then if nothing else I'd have gone with the roadster/ute body, as at least the benchmark is there to be developed to offer a chance for a uniform and continuous profile.

I do feel that a designed plan and intent is pivotal, which is something that you need to work through with a 'practical dreamer', keeping in mind that it then must then compliment the builder and his ability to share the vision.

Personally, if I kept it in my mind that I wanted to celbrate a blown ardun, a 34 ford, and kept an element of focus with your coupe in the background, then I would be building a gloss black(on black, on black) 34 roadster, that captured the timeless and graceful appeal but with detail and components that support the big picture, but at now time overpower or undermine it's presence.

Less is more, and maintaining the purity in design is fundamental, everything else revolves and is there to compliment.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

5. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

Build a super nice model A roadster. They have the best lines and stand up next to anything. The 34 RPU is funny looking at best. It has a super elegant front half and a fucking truck bed back half.... It looks confused. Kinda like a fat chick with a super cute face.

6. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

I can not say any names or how i have come about this info... and what i am telling you should be no surprise when building any car... but i heard from a VERY reliable source that a couple cars were in the running this year... cars that would surprise you, but what let them fail was FIT AND FINISH!!! No matter what you build and take to compete... just check fender height from side to side, filler thickness on edges, gaps, headlight adjustment! All the little things! Its not just the parts and what you put them in/on! Car building 101!!! I would love to have a car i worked on go for the A.M.B.R... maybe someday!!

7. basicbob

basicbob

Scott, perhaps you should ask the top 5 at the GNRS from 2010-13 to see what kept them from being the "GRAND NATIONAL WINNER".

If you reflect on how long it takes a pro like Rudy to build a nice car then tripple the time for a GNRS winner maybe one year is asking too much????

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Reading these last posts is like the wine and cheese social elite trying to keep the square hole beer and whiskey guyes outa their round hole gathering. Just my thoughts, please change my thinking..........

9. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Well put...I thought the restraint shown on the build is what made it so great. It wasn't over the top and all doo-dad'd up. It seems like its turned into a shopping list instead of a build lately..I gotta have this rare thing and this ultra-rare nonexistent speed part...blah blah blah. Its refreshing that ingenuity over stacks of cash went as far as it did. Its quite a task building an 80 year old factory prototype that never was and I think you pulled it off as close as anybody possibly could. JohnnyA

10. randy

randy

$750,000??? That's some next level gold-chainer shit. Why not build a clean, functional car with your HANDS and enjoy driving it?

What are you searching for? What would compel you to PAY someone that much to build a car for the show circuit?

If you BUILD it yourself, you're declaring to the world, "This is a physical manifestation of my dedication and commitment to my craft." That's rad. But...you won't be building it.

Displays of wealth are a pretty integral part of our society, so you'll definitely be following the rule book with your upcoming project, but I wonder at the deeper psychology behind it all.

The Hot Rod mentality was born in young men who couldn't follow the rules. They were practical, innovative, crazy and creative. The HAMB is full of dudes of the same alloy.

Winning the GNRS does not make you anything you weren't already. What are you now?

11. All good points made above for sure.

But to what end? All this for a trophy? Ego trip? Show circuit circus? Challenge? Promote your biz?

Other than the challenge - I can't see a reason to do it. To my mind - if it isn't YOUR achievement if it ain't YOUR soul in it. GNRS, AMBR or not.

It would'nt sit well with me (my feeling) to accept an award/trophy/recognition for a car I didn't build, whether it was a 20K build or a $2M build. Its just not the same thing. Although i would'nt knock someone for attempting it. That kinda dinero is a serious commitment any way you cut it.

But I don't get why someone would spend that kind dinero on something just to have have it JUDGED by another individual. That judgement is usually based on an certain parameters and of course - opinions and biases. Its human. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - in this case the judges.

Then again if it turns your crank....do what makes ya happy brother - no dream stealing here.

Rat

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

For those that say you HAVE to have rare parts.. I see a simple, clean, and beautifully executed T here that should have won. No fancy stuff here. And this was built by a group of friends who wanted to, in their garages.

No big name builder. No $750K price. No super, ultra, "search-to-the-ends-of-earth", rare parts. And as if building this T wasn't hard enough, they returned this year with the Woodward Roadster.

Truly passionate hot rodders doing what they love.

[​IMG]

14. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

JUST A THOUGHT HERE......Who said it was $750.000 to build and who said I was not to be in the build, its always funny to sit and watch the folks. All and all it's a group of good guys but then again you get these assholes who read into shit to see what they can stir up. I just want to build a great car for no other reason that that. I am pretty sure that I have done enough in life to justify that I have an eye and design is just as easy for me as pissing. I can weld and I can turn a wrench, the beauty for me and the fun was in a partnership with a builder, it's the team work, the creative conversation of how and what the car should look like. The fight for the stance, the fight for the color and or for the look of whatever we would do. There's know soul searching ass picking ego fucking bullshit. Just want to create one that was mine.....If I wanted to win I would just go to the biggest shop and pay all that cash and say I want to win.......I never said I would win, just want to be in the game.....To be there and stand and look and tell who ever is the builder standing next to me that we did it....

I have been very lucky in life and wanted to pass some shit on, give a guy a shot to get it. All the shop's are nothing, without customers like us that get them to build the cars we all build and keep them running so they can show off to all the new customers what they build and get more customers....Thats how the ball rolls around.

No ego no bullshit no other reason then to just do it.....Thats all. Just want to be clear on the point here and while I'm pissing in the wind, I thought it cool, to have all the members way in and bring there thoughts from anyone who wanted to jump in........Its never easy is it. The thread started nice and got shitty....What can I say other then fuck it.

Close it down.

Scott Gillen

Also.....A guy that can't see shit walks buy a car and see's nothing, is never the guy I need to impress. I want the guy that see's it all to stop and say.......Thats a fucking car right there.....So it doesn't matter to me what a judge says, it the ones that really know, that see the things you do and understand why you did them...... that's what I look for.

15. Weasel

Weasel

When Stan Betz entered his phantom custom built '2032' roadster pickup for the show, Don Raible who won the AMBR with his 'Blue Steel' 1932 roadster told Stan to take another year to get the car ready. Stan did not and did not win either. On a side note he sold me his original 1932 RPU and then regretted it - yes a real one, which is in Rudy's shop.

It is very hard to compete at the top level - I know, I assembled an AMBR entrant. Fords have been done to death in every flavor and it seems as though people are just desperate to find another variation on the same old theme. I would say three years minimum to produce a winner and I am sorry but the thought of yet another Halibrand QC reproduction Ardun powered flatty is also done to death.

Maybe a non Ford would be a novelty - and I have a super rare 1930s roadster and an exotic engine/trans that is the wildest of the wild, which if built by the right people, certainly has what it takes to create a major buzz. If you are interested Scott, feel free to pm me....

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  16. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Well said.

17. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's like the construction world . . . better have a thick skin.

Or, it's like finding good music on the radio . . . it's out there, you just have to wade through a lot of shit to find it. :)

18. A Rodder

A Rodder

What's the status of this plan?

19. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Under Construction now and or being built.

Scott Gillen

20. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well I thought I would let this out of the bag......I have spent good time here on this and have gathered the folks that I think will help build a great car. If we get close, cool if not whatever......Roy Brizio....Builder.... Ionia Hot Rod Shop.....Frame.....Salt Flats Speed shop.... Metal work..... And Eric Black has done a fantastic job of bringing to life the picture in my head.......

Scott

21. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Regardless of the outcome, the vision, builder selection and collaboration with each will be a memory you will cherish forever. The dream begins. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Lynn

22. McFly

McFly

Looks like a nice cast of folks. Should be a great car.

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

Good luck Scott. More than any other component, it takes immense dedication. You seem to have that aspect down pretty darned well. See you there!

24. hawleywood1

hawleywood1

Scott,

I have been watching the build at Roy's. Your 3 window is going to be beautiful. Roy just finished a 32 Fordor highboy for me. I had a vision for years on what I wanted to do. It turned out awesome. The car was only a week finished and I was able to to take it to Deuce Days with my father in BC. I will never forget the time we had. Priceless. You picked one of the best. Roy has built 4 cars for me. I drive all of them!!!!!

Can't wait to see yours all finished!!!!

25. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

The 32 Ford, it will look like this and I bet it does look just like this. Roy has got to be one of the nicest guys I've meet and value the way he deals with his clients. I have meet many shops over the years, some good some shit and I have to say he is at the top of my list. I take my builds very serious and cant stand when a shop starts telling me how I should build my cars, Roy would never do that to a client that came there to build what they had visioned.

Scott

26. So what happened? You started out with the intention of an AMBR contestant, showed pictures of a 32 Roadster and it somehow became a Coupe, so no longer an AMBR car.
    How come? just curious

27. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

These are 3 different builds and all are in the process, thats why I shoed the pics I did......The roadster frame is being built as we talk and the body started out as A all original roadster body and is be done to the details of the drawing in the thread......

Scott

28. OK, thanks for clarifying that ;) Ya had me confused.

29. ratman

ratman

Very nice Scott, I really like the look and stance of the Roadster. I'm looking forward to watching the progress.
    Peter

30. BCR

BCR

That will be a bitchin model A if it comes out like the art work.