Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Road To The GNRS 2014

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCOTT GILLEN, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well, its time to sit and think about what to build to make it to the 2014 GNRS.....First it must be a roadster. I have been thinking about building a car that can get in there and at least make it into the top 5.....Tall order and I will try my best. Open to all comments and any help you can give.

Start with a great Builder
    Start with a great car
    Start with a great concept
    Use a ARDUN and Hailabrand

Keep the same builder finish the build. I am starting with a 1933 ford truck......lets start. The floor is open. We can start with this and yes we will tear this down and rebuild it.

Scott

2. ryno

ryno

so what are you asking? you need a builder to build you a car to compete for the gnrs in just one year?

3. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Sure if thats what it takes, can it be done.? Can you win, can you get close to the top 5 pics?

Scott

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every great build seems to start with a great vision. You appear to be shopping around for other people's ideas for a vision?

What do YOU want your truck to be? Or are you just looking to build an AMBR competitor just to be part of the GNRS experience?

I'm a little confused.

5. Anything is possible with the right amount of money.

6. pastlane

pastlane

It's only money, how much ya got? As for getting a late start call Andy (thunderbirdesq) as he builds killer cars from seemingly nothing and gets them done in a couple of months.

7. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well, I have a great Vision, I just thought it nice to open the floor for thoughts and ideas. It's just a topic to start a conversation. I will build something as you might see if you see the other cars I have built, just opening the floor to your thoughts.....Be nice to see a car at the show that you might say....Hey that was my idea and he used it.....Nice.

Scott

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Why not have Rudy do it ?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. ryno

ryno

not to be a dick, but i still am not getting what your asking for?

i think I've got 2 things outta this so far, you'd like to talk about everyone's ideas and dreams to build a car, and you can build it?

even with unlimited budget, i still don't see getting a big time builder that competes on this level to build and finish you a car in less then 1 year.

again not being difficult here, maybe its too early and i'm just not reading or comprehending what your asking for .

10. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

He just might be the one....BUt he is finishing my 33 for next year, he might not have the time to do both. He wants the 33 done for the next year show.......That 33 cannot be in the Roadster part because it's a coupe.....As for the rest above, it's a forum and open to conversation.....Gets some coffee in you and come back.....Not to debate just an open conversation.....What to build what to do and who to build it in the time allowed.

Scott

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think what Scott's doing here is using the forum to gain momentum as well as track his thoughts and the process. We already know after seeing his '33 he's building that he's got a good eye for this. HOWEVER, it's nice to get a conversation going to bounce ideas off of right? I mean I talk to a bunch of my friends about what I'm building and even though in the end I will probably not follow any of their ideas, it's nice to get some motivation thru conversation. I think we all do that.

Now this being done inside one year, what I would be searching to do is look for a builder who really could use the exposure and platform to build his career. Someone that doesn't have a full plate of projects in the shop but has a full plate of talent waiting to be utilized. That's the kind of person that could get it done inside of a year and the kind of person that would be hungry enough to do it.

So much unrecognized talent out there...... so much. My friend Damon Detmer @ Moon lite Metal is a prime example. He's honestly one of best metal wizards the world has ever known. He's worked on Bonneville cars, TRJ cars, Nascars and others but you perhaps wouldn't know his name right off the bat (unless your in the industry perhaps). He'd kill it and I'm sure he'd blow peoples minds.

That's what I'd want to do. I'd want to build a car that made it into the top 5 but do it by not using the usual suspects ya know? Give the underdog a chance.....look at the Woodward Roadster. Everyone wanted that thing to win because it was just as nice as the others and built by the underdogs!!!!!

12. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Great use of the forum I agree but it really comes down to cash and a vision... Just ask James hetfield, it works for him

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It would appear he's got both starting with an Ardun. JadeIdol's Woodward Roadster was not about money (I'm sure there was a substantial investment) it was more about the vision and fit and finish.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I did see the Woodward and thought, what a beautiful build and the fit and finish was great as well.....I did think it needed some separation in the overall look, as it was hard to see detail where you wanted to see detail....Don't hate me for this but, seamless transition and looking at a car, but not knowing just what you see..... but see it as a work of art is the key. Many can build a great car and flash it all up, those who can design and execute a build while you look at it and not realize why it is you love it....Thats the magic. I made a living shooting cars for over 15 years and I did so much stage work where there was sparse area's and negative space to work with. That you need to design you shots and your camera moves in a way that help the car but not over step it. In your face is bad, not knowing why you love it, thats greg.....my two cents.

Scott

By the way, I will run the vintage smoothie Hailabrand with nock off's, 16 fronts and 18 in back

15. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Honestly your best bet is to find a builder and a designer and let them work their magic. If you ask on here you'll get a 1000 different opinions. Hire Jeem or Norwell (or any of the talented designers floating around the hamb) to sketch you up something, then find someone to build it.

On a side note has a roadster pick up ever won the GNRS?

16. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Is that not the point, to try and have a truck win......

Scott

I will try my best to not embarrass myself.

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

Yes, the Ala Kart.

[​IMG]

18. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

After reviewing the GNRS Most Beautiful Roadster contenders last weekend, I think you might have a shot if you can drop perhaps $750,000. That amount would NOT have come close to winning last year but it would put you in the running. To my knowledge, they dont tell who the top 5 are, just the winner. Further, IF I guessed the top five, probably #5 took $400K this year. Last of the group probably had $250K spent. Last place wasnt a shabby car by no means.

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's where I'd go with it. By using an Ardun you're going to have to mess with the hood sides so you'd have to get really really creative, OR choose a different engine that'll allow that beautiful hood to be as it is.

Maybe since the "truck" is the least refined model that you can start with, maybe execute an Aussie unibody type deal where the bed gracefully flows into the cab without making it look like YOU did it and more like as if FORD did it....but with better execution.

I would like to see Wide fives used on the truck (18" out back and 16" up front?) with caps and trim rings. I think the wide fives give lend themselves to the utilitarian idea that surrounds a truck. Maybe 18" Ascot block tread tires out back and rib runners up front mounted on black wheels.

Front suspension chromed dropped bell tube axle. with unspllt wishbone however with a twist. Maybe drilled and sleeved unsplit?

I've gotta go, my son is requiring my attention. More ideas later!

20. Sometimes it isn't about the money. Sure, it may take a ton of it, but it can be spent many ways. We have all seen cars with entirely too much invested, that we didn't even take a second look. Or, just did from pure disbelief at what a monstrosity it was. It depends on the builder, and the designer to come up with a concept that fits both. I won't say it's like a marriage, because this has to be better than most.
    Many people wait their whole life trying to build their vision. Either funding or talent halt them. Less than a year to bring a serious contender is a tall order. Most of the heavy hitters wouldn't commit to such a deadline. You have one major advantage, You already have a car, and a pretty damn nice stockpile of parts to pull from. Disadvantages are that the chassis needs to be modified for the rear end, and some fab work would need to be done to the bed. Still better than not having a car to start with. If you aren't doing super body mods to the existing car, that will cut some time.
    The killer of your time will be "paint jail". That undetermined amount of time when the rest of progress stops. The car needs to be fit in completion, then totally disassembled for paint, plating and powder-coating. While your parts are scattered across the car universe, you(and/or the builder) have to sit there and sweat it out. Hopefully, all things come together in enough time to reassemble and nothing changed.
    As for ideas on your car: If you are polishing the wheels, I think a dark blue body, but not too dark as to lose the body lines. Something in contrasting earth-tones for the interior and top. Something in the exotic blondes for wood in the bed, stainless strips inlaid. Something to tie the body and upholstery together. Polish the snot out of the valve covers, blower and manifold, then paint the block body color. Not my cup of tea, but show car style. Lots and lots of details though, more and more the further you go.

21. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

A substantial investment indicates a large financial dedication to a project,you wont get into the top 5 at GNRS on a shoe string budget and i am sure brizio doesnt work for free.

22. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

And why bring Roy into the mix?

Scott

23. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I'm up for doing body and paint, I'm in kansas so my overhead is alot lower then cali prices. and fatluckys on interior,... been a winning combonation many times before. And I have an idea on a couple guys that want to work on a project like this, that live in the midwest, hard workers just need the chance to prove themselves. lets talk.....

24. msalamanca

msalamanca

Why not build it yourself?
    Maybe have someone do some things for you, but whats the fun in having someone else completely build a car for you?

25. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I like his thinking outside the box, maybe give some underdogs hidden in the middle of the country a chance. Prices are alot cheaper and the guys work alot harder cause they have more to prove.....

26. Back to car ideas, I'd lean the grille to match the louvers...easier said than done, but more symetrical

27. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

definently a winning combo

28. verde742

verde742

Speed cost money//// how fast ya wanna go?

29. alchemy

alchemy

Are you doing that 34 RPU? If you don't already have that car, I'd suggest something else. I never did like those fake 34 RPU's.

I think a 34 needs the fenders to win. Are there any winning highboy 34's that weren't smoothed up Boydsters? And a "passenger car" 34 RPU, fenders or not, is just kind of awkward.

The way the AMBR is going, it will need to be a traditional car to win. How abouta 30 RPU on a 32 frame, with the blown Ardun and the smoothie Halibrands? Go ALL THE WAY and use a real Ford driveline, not modern trans and open driveshaft.

30. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

I don't buy into the money argument. A winner doesn't have to cost $750k. It has to look perfect. There are a large handful of metal/interior/paint guys on here that could pull it off. The question is time. Can they drop what they are doing and find the time to help. We've all seen the threads where guys start with a body they found in a ditch or pond or burning building and turn out something amazing. When I look at a car I don't think about money. I look at the lines and the detail and the function. That's what will win.