Register now to get rid of these ads!

Storage of auto paint below freezing temp.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by reallylongnickname, Nov 10, 2012.

1. reallylongnickname

reallylongnickname

What is the freezing point of auto paint?
    How safe is it to store at these cold temperatures?

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what does it say on the can?

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Not a good idea.

4. 6-71

6-71

This has been discussed here before,and I am no expert,but as long as it is not water based I dont know what component in the paint would be damaged by freezing temperatures. I am sure some paint expert will educate me. I will probably continue to use paint that has been stored in my unheated shed. until I have a problem.

5. reallylongnickname

reallylongnickname

Cannot read label - the can is 30 miles away from where I am.

Any link for that freezing discussion?

6. redroaddog

redroaddog

have had hardners get grain like ...looks ok but makes the paint look like you put sand in it, should never let it freeze besides it just cost too much to not take care of it.....just saying:cool:

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A very bad idea to freeze any paint. Look at manufacturers recommendations. I would bet that not one of them would say it was OK.

8. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I have had cheaper valspar sit out in the shop over the winter, well below freezing, sprayed fine in the spring. Higher end stuff I move to a heated area for the winter.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Talked with a body shop friend of mine at our HAMB breakfast about that very thing this morning. He said he has had cans in freezing temps and he just had to shake them a lot more than usual and they sprayed just fine.

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

PPG says <TABLE dir=ltr border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=634><TBODY><TR><TD height=16 vAlign=top>ADDITIONAL PAINT STORAGE REQUIREMENTS: Product should be stored at temperatures of 40°F &#8211; 100°F. The product may be subject to temperatures from 0°F
    to 140°F during transport for up to 30 days without adverse effects. If the product is exposed to more extreme temperatures or for a longer duration, please contact PPG
    technical services for an evaluation. Product temperatures must be 50°F &#8211; 90°F during mixing and application, unless otherwise stated in section VI (a).

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive have always take the good paint out of the paint cabinet and put it in a closet i built just for storing this stuff in the house.dont know if it would hurt it put i got alot of paint and i sure cant afford to replace it so its in the house when winter comes....

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

I just recently painted a set of trailer fenders. Was scrounging around the garage and found some suitable color, probably ten yrs old. Garage is only heated when I'm working in there (Ohio winters). Thought what the hell, I've wiped stuff clean before, gave it a shot. Came out good enough that my son thought I'd sent them to our 'painter'. LOL.:D
    Don't recommend using ten year old, been in freezing temp many times, paint. But I got away with it. (oil based fwiw)

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I'm too cheap to throw away paint. I know my garage has gotten below 32* many times in the last 25 years. usually not for extended periods of time. I've used it for engines and such with good success but never tried to paint any cars with it. I personally don't think that if it reaches 32* it suddenly becomes junk. JMO

14. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Thats pretty much what i do and just sit it in warm water for a while. Right now it's not the paint being cold thats an issue but getting the parts warm enough. I've been painting outside today and had to heat the panel up with a hair dryer as it's pretty damn cold here now.

Dan:cool:

15. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Enamels and lacquers. I have some in the back barn stored since 1985. The cans that haven't rusted thru are still usable. Just used a gallon of universal black enamel on a chassis. Also a can of Massey red. These have been thru -20 degree weather.

Some of the sealers are junk and as stated hardners have turned to little beads.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

down here in Georgia we dont get freezing temps for a super long period of time, I have some nappa brand single stage, that stays out of the wind in my garage, I suppose with some shaking it would be ok?

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Probably, but it depends if you're shooting something that you have hrs & hrs of prep time in, I probably wouldn't gamble in that case. The fenders I spoke of above, were new & I may have had an hour prep in both. No harm, no foul if I'd had to wipe 'em clean and go buy a new qt.

18. oldolds

oldolds

I have sprayed oil based paints that were over 30 years old stored out in barns. ( I am an auction buyer). Sometimes a paint will not stir up right when the can is opened. Paint rep said that was because it was frozen. If it stirs up right it should be ok. I would not use paint that old on a show car. I use it on things that just need a coat of paint. Wheel barrows, lawn furniture ect.