Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick nailhead casting numbers???? help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kikinrods, Jun 29, 2005.

1. i just bought 2 buick nailhead motors and i am trying to find out exactly what they are. the casting numbers that are on the back of the block near the belhousing are 1165752 and the other is 1135752. i was told they came out of a 54 and a 56 buick. if anyone can help me with this i would appreciate it. i found the head numbers on the internet and it came up as ether a 264 or a 322. please help if anyone could tell me what i have.

2. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

You are correct. One is a 264 and the other is a 322.

mikeduke likes this.
  3. how can you tell and which one is which?

4. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

the 1954 is the 264 and the 1956 is the 322 thats for sure atleast
    afaik 264's wasnt made in 1956

5. that helps but we aren't even sure that is the exact cars they came out of or if they were the original motors in the cars. is there a way to decifer the casting number.

6. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

if it is an 1956 322, you got the best 322 nailhead atleast.. i mean the 1953 wasnt so good, much more heavier then the 1956 one, and ahwell..

7. Judd

Judd

Post the numbers stamped in the block deck opposite the dip stick and I can tell what it is, 57 and later motor will be stamped just in front of valley pan.

8. numbers are v6546044 and i2947334
    thanks

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This page on Buicks.net should help you figure it all out.
    and here's another casting numbers for the newer Nailheads...

10. Judd

Judd

11. so is a 264 a good engine or do i have a pile of junk and can i find parts for them.
    now don't tell me they are junk and you'll buy them to take them off of my hands.:rolleyes:

12. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

i'd buy one. you got the tranny's for em?

13. not for sale yet!!! no trannys.

14. Clark

Clark

Easy way to tell the difference between a 322 and a 263 is a 322 has a harmonic balancer. The 264 does not.

I've got a 264 in the 32 right now. It runs good but wasn't easy getting parts or info on it. I had to figure a few things out for myself. The tranny (manual) was my buggest pain in the ass.
    Clark

15. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Clark loves Nailheads... :D:D:D

16. Clark

Clark

Nailheads SUCK!!! :D

Hopefully I get my first long distance run in the thing next week
    Clark

17. Judd

Judd

Clark
    not all 322's had balancer I know of a 53 322 here that doesn't (O didn't it is getting one during rebuild)

18. Clark

Clark

Judd ...this is one of the reasons I hate nailheads. I get conflicting information all the time. Even from the experts (nailhead message board).

When I was trying to find out what my motor was the expert told me you can't tell by the casting #s. The best way to tell is by the balancer.

I guess I'm back to not knowing what's in my 32.
    Clark

19. well i don't think the harmonic balancer bit is going to help me. both of mine don't have one but one is just a short block and the other is missing parts off of it, and both have a threaded and keyed crank. any other clues? does anyone have any stock valve covers i only have one for both motors, need 3 more.

20. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

if its the nailhead out of 1096's truck,,then i do know its a 1955,,,cuz i took it out of my buddies 55 buick special. he was supoosed to install a BBC in his car(car is still sitting),, it was a 2bbl engine.. it was in great running shape when we pulled it...i think i read you rebuilt it though,,

but to make things even more confusing,,i believe that motor or heads may have been replaced or rebuilt at some time since it had the lil "hot " tags on the heads(the tags that engine rebuilders put on rebuilt motors to know if you got them hot or not if there is a waranty issue..

sorry ,no help,,but i was kinda thinking it was a 264 since it had the 2bbl on it..

sam

21. Clark

Clark

Sam ...that is the motor out of your old truck. I didn't rebuild it and it runs great. I've got a 56 322 with the harmonic balancer that will get rebuilt and go in the car in the future. It was also a 2 barrel motor. The mystery continues :D

Do you know why there was a set of holes drilled in the valve covers?
    Clark

22. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

ah,cool,,
    im not sure,,i wondered that myself,,
    those covers came from the nashville swapmeet,and the spark plug covers came from a hamber,,i cant remeber was it Judd??,
    i have the original valve covers in good shape if you want them.i think one has a ding in it.

sam

23. by the way one of my motors has a 4 barrel intake on it but the other one is missing the intake. does that help on identifiying the motor.

24. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

oh! i almost forgot,,i have a nailhead question too! ,,whats in this 64 rivi ,,

the aircleaner says 465 wildcat,,would that make it a 425???? assuming its the original engine and correct aircleaner???

thanks

25. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

If its the original motor and the aircleaner is also. Then yes it is a 425.

My take on the 264 is not to use them if you can find a 322 or bigger.

26. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Marty gave me the casting numbers for 425 blocks but I'll be damned if I can find them. I called a guy about a suposed 425 he has for sale that came out of a 67 Riv. He said he couldn't find any engine numbers in front of the valley pan, but there are numbers cast in the block on top of where the trans bellhousing bolts up. He said they are B1364705. This is the same number that's on a few of my 401's. Can this casting number be used to identify 425 from 401?
    I need to get back to this guy, so any help is appreciated.
    Thanks, Keith

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I found the casting number on a Buick site and it is calling out a 64-66 401/425. How can I determine if it's a 425. The owner said it has a single 4-brl.
    Help?? Thanks, Keith

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I posted two links up further that have the casting numbers you should need...

buicks.net

Casting numbers

Don;t knwo if they'll help you though... '67's didn't have Nailheads...'66 was the last year....

29. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

All Buick engine blocks has a two bolt main bearing cap bottom end. The easiest way to tell them apart besides checking the various bore sizes is to check deck height. You can also check the engine identification code. 1966 had MR for the 401 325hp "400" Gran Sport. MT for the 401 325 hp. MW for the 425 340 hp. MZ for the 425 360hp.

xxx

30. suedesled

suedesled
    BANNED

This is why we need the ID number. If you have a stock valley pan it will point right at it. There is an arrow stamped on the pan toward the pass. side of the pan and it points to it. You will find it just ahead of the edge of the valley pan on the same surface as the gasket.