Register now to get rid of these ads!

nash metro gasser?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Short-Stack, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Short-Stack

Short-Stack

after seeing the post with the gasser 55 chevy and AHOTROD'S post about hot 4 bangers my twisted mind came up with this. a hot 4 bangered gasser style nash metropolitan.. (i know where i can get a rust free one for 300.00)
    any photochoppers up to gassering this metro pic?

im not sure but i think i need help.
    short stack

2. that would be the coolest thing ever.... Please do it!

Perfect application for an old iron duke or pinto motor!

3. Short-Stack

Short-Stack

here is a pic

4. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

a guy i know years ago put a 460 ford and narrowed rear end in one, the whole car would tip sideways when he stepped on the gas of course it was dangerous ,that is what made it fun

5. long island vic

long island vic

i had one wt a bbc...hemi box and dana rear,,it was like playing russian relutte with a cannon...cut it up

6. Back in the late 70's I discovered a small trend in No. California and Oregon to combine Mets and jeep drivetrains. Voila! Stylish hippie buggy! I've got a couple of photos around here that I'll post once I can dig them out.

I imagine these were pretty tippy.

A gasser would be a real freak. Kind of like the Healys, MGs, and a bunch of oddball Micro things. Actually Healya are pretty stout. The Met is Unibody.
    Is there any way to actually attach a Hemi. Seems more like you would build the chassis and then hang the Met body shell on it.
    I'll bet something like that would want to swap ends. A crowd pleaser.

7. gowjobs

gowjobs

Hell yeah! Minitruck or Jeep rear suspension, add some recangular tubing to beef up the front sub-frame for a straight-axle and drop in a Chrysler Turbo II with a five-speed or a warmed-over automatic. Heck, since Damiler-Chrysler bought AMC, this thing could be all Mopar! Definitely needs a small spun aluminum tank in the grille opening, and one big exhaust dump out the passenger side, where it can bark at pedestrians and all those Camaros you pass when they're pulling into the gas station.

8. DrJ

DrJ

There's one goes to the Pavilions cruise in Scotsdale AZ that has a V8 in a FadT type square tube frame with the Metro body on it. It's finished nice like a "street rod" or long distance GT. Looks sharp.
    Another guy, Glen knows him, has a Fiat 500 with a SBC in it, tube frame, tubbed, I rode in it...Better than anything at Disneyland! :eek: :cool:

9. I have one['57] in progress[for 10 yrs!] NO progress is more like it.....It has a narrowed 9 and 400 SB...it has an 85" W.B so it isnt long enuf to run NHRA...it would be hard to get it to go where ya point it under power.
    Also it has to be real narrow frt suspension as it sits low...I can imagine it nose up being better to find a suitable frt -but then would worry about handling MORE......
    I also built a built454 /48 Anglia and it was fine with its 90" W/Base untill it broke loose-fishtailing at 80mph once-then it wasnt all right........:rolleyes: I guess the moral is-ADD some WHEELBASE.

10. DrJ

DrJ

Just widen and lengthen it...
    Oh, then you'd have a Nash/Rambler American instead of a Metropolitan! :rolleyes: :cool:

11. gowjobs

gowjobs

How about putting it down on a T-bucket style chassis with the rear quarters radiused to clear pie-crust slicks and Zoomies sticking out the front wheel openings? The entire front suspension would sit out in front of the car... you'd probably ditch the front bumper and may have to trim the outer corners of the front gravel pan for clearance up there. If you do this, you've GOT to manage to keep the radiator concealed inside the bodywork... maybe mount it back in the trunk. Oh yeah - use my logo I made up for my ex-rambler project on it: Found a pic of a stripper in a Nun's habit showing garter belts and her g-string... call it "Nashty Habit" with that pin-up on the trunk.

12. aedan

aedan
    from ###

sorry no photochop but that would look AWESOME
    go for it!

13. JamesG

JamesG

This just happened to be in todays paper.

NASH 1960 Metropolitan for sale, several. All for $1,900. Call for details at 501-835-6332. Jacksonville, AR 72076

14. Anderson

Anderson

Have a pic of a similar body syle anglia gasser, was gonna photoshop a Metro onto the chassis....so I googled "Nash Metropolitain" and this showed up! From Mart's Vintage Hot Rod page, photo comes from David Kirk via Brian Bass.

This thing is awesome...

[​IMG]

15. Stone

Stone

Those are so awesome.Would make a cool chopped channeled sled also.

16. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

A guy on the Pontiac Yahoo group mailing list did a Nash Metropolitan with a Rocket J-2. My eyes bugged out when I read that!

17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

love that picture Fidgiter,

hell if a guy can go over Niagra Falls in a barrel and live through it

that aughta be a cake walk!

18. james

james

There's a guy somewhere near ST Pete, Fl with one on a mail jeep chassis. It was a little crudely done, but it was a couple inches higher in the front and definatly gasser flavor.