Register now to get rid of these ads!

pictures of Hudson drag racers... lets see them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PacaRacer50, Nov 15, 2010.

1. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

here are a few pictures of some Hudson drag race vehicles or Hudson powered drag racers. Hudson always had a very strong performance back ground all the way back to the mid 19-teens until they merged with Nash in May of 1954.
    They were and are still being drag raced all over the country to this day. The red 1941 Hudson is from a good friend in Illinois and runs a 355 cubic inch Hornet 308 engine with tripple webers on methanol. runs in the high 11's in the quarter mile... not bad for a flathead six designed during WWII.
    the green 53 Hornet coupe has been owned by the same Indiana man since the early 60's and drag raced since then. its run in the stock, modified production and sportsman classes and dominates to this day at his little local strip.
    if you have any pictures please post them here and to the SEARCH NAZIS yes you bastards I did search and NOT find a thread about this :)
    PaceRacer50

Attached Files:

2. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

here are some engine pictures along with the front view of a 1927 Hudson with the F-Head and a front mount supercharger...

Attached Files:

3. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Where does the red '41 live? Would like to see it close up.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I seem to remember early pics of NASCAR races had Hudsons in 'em. Pretty cool car.

6. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

the 41 is in west central Illinois. Randy does run this at ORP in Clearmont Indiana during the bracket races in the fall. I'll try to find out where he normally runs at next time I talk to him. right now the drag racing season is over for us here :(

7. Gigantor

Gigantor

These pictures make me horny.

I just put my 28 essex coupe body up for sale to finance another project... but I can't bear to part with the 308 I've got. That little puppy is going into something while under my care.

8. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

some NASCAR Hudson pictures... the first one if the winner and 2nd place Daytona 500 winners. If you look at the results for the NASCAR races from 1951 thru 1954 you will see quite a few Hudsons in the top 10 finishers for each race. Yep they dominated just a shame they didn't develop their own V8 for 53 instead of waisting money on the Hudson Jet.

Attached Files:

9. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

you need this intake for your 308 if you are planning on putting it into a Model A coupe! I just listed it in the classifieds... need to scrape up with money for the house payment.
    PaceRacer50

Attached Files:

10. tuckpoint

tuckpoint
    from omaha,nebr

Thank-you , I'm going to go to the garage now and free up my piston rings and pins on Hudson's off spring my 327 Rambler.Dream of bigger valves and a cam up grade.Any interchange info?

11. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

I had one in a 57 Hudson Hornet Hollywood. Isky use to grind cams for these. the 58 and later 4bbl intakes will accept newer Holley or Carter carbs. Making a set of headers will help out the most on this engine. also the Gray marine 327 AMC engines had solid lifter cams with adjustable rocker arms. (the Gray Marine cams are reverse drive and won't work.) wish I could help more but I only think in flathead anymore...
    PaceRacer50

Attached Files:

12. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

cool thread and cool pictures!

13. can't believe someone doesn't have pictures of "the Beauty" and "The Beast" that ruled their classes in southern California in late 50's to late 60's

14. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Here's a couple more Hudson rigs. The one with the horns, Blazing Buddy Bardwell, has run aince the fifties! (That Anglia is really something...)

Attached Files:

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Ha! That's a pretty sweet setup, but I'm scrimping and saving myself to afford my next project.

16. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

wish I had pictures of the Beauty and the Beast but don't. here are a few more from the Hudson Museum in Shipshawana, Indiana. the red racer is not there but from Australia and I need more info on it. enjoy!

Attached Files:

17. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

moving up for the left coast guys to see and post pics...

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man I love that last pic of the Hudson & Studebaker going at it!

19. farna

farna

PacaRacer -- that's "L"-head. "F"-head has an overhead intake valve and an in-block exhaust valve. Willys used them for their four, don't know of any other production F-head engines.

Tuckpoint -- there is no interchange with the AMC GEN-1 V-8 except other models (56-61 250, 57-66 327, 63-66 287). The 250 had solid lifters but not much cam, not sure if the cam would be any better there, and 250s are hard to find. Any 56-61 Rambler with V-8 will have one. 56-57 was Rambler V8, 58-61 was called Rebel (all 58-61 Rebels have the 250 V8). Only the Ambassador got the 327, and only the 63-66 Classic V8 got the 287. There is a 1/4" difference in the bores on all, 4.0" for hte 327 then go down from there. The 287 and 327 share everything but pistons, including heads. The 250 has smaller valves. Because of the way the valves are located you can't go much bigger without shrouding problems. No one makes a cam blank any more, but you can send a stock cam in good condition to Isky, Lunati, Comp, or any other grinder and they can help you out there. 1/2" thick aluminum adapter plates can be made to install a late model AMC V8 intake. Cut the water crossover off the intake and the rear portion behind the runners, use the stock AMC GEN-1 water crossover. The GEN-1 has a separate metal valley cover already. Get a set of headers made. The center two exhaust ports are siamesed, but you can get flanges from "Headers by Doug" or make your own. A good welder can cut the flanges off a header with the two center ports close together and weld them up so they don't leak.

20. I think the Willys Aero six is also F-head.

21. Yes, YES! Who has pics of Ike Smith's "Beast" '54 Hornet Special coupe and Chuck Parcell's "Beauty", also a '54 Hornet Special coupe? Let's see 'em, please.

Ike was the mechanic for both and had a quonset hut shop on Riverside Drive just up the street from the LA Dodger's Chavez Ravine location. I visited that shop with my own '54 Hornet Special coupe when I was in junior college. Of course my car was barely running transportation for a poor college kid. I later owned another '54 Hornet Special coupe in white over black, the colors of both Beauty and Beast.

Attached Files:

22. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

PacaRacer -- that's "L"-head. "F"-head has an overhead intake valve and an in-block exhaust valve. Willys used them for their four, don't know of any other production F-head engines.
    Hudson made F head engines for the Essex from 1919 thru 1924 and with the Super Six from 1926 thru 1929. Intake in the head and exhaust in the block. they went back to the flathead design and stuck with it on all their other engines until the end of production...
    The Shaw special and the black 27 Hudson with the front mount supercharger were both F-Head super six engines.
    PaceRacer50

23. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

here are two pictures of a 1928 Hudson 288 cubic inch F-head super six.
    by the way love the picture of the 54 Hudson. that is my favorite body design they did.

Attached Files:

24. Rocket88NZ

Rocket88NZ

Not exactly a race car Hudson more of a wannabe race car. Taken at home a couple of weeks ago with my wife's Model A. Just hitting summer over here now so am able to blow the cob webs off and get in some miles.Enjoyed the other photos on this thread, lets see some more.

Attached Files:

• doca.jpg
      doca.jpg
      File size:
      492.5 KB
      Views:
    • docb.jpg
      docb.jpg
      File size:
      495.6 KB
      Views:
    • docc.jpg
      docc.jpg
      File size:
      493.5 KB
      Views:
  25. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Tom Scardina (spelling?) graced us with his presence and brought out his 42 (?) Hudson with a 308 to our last Eagle Field event. Rocky
    [​IMG]

26. That '53 Super Wasp NASCAR clone with the visor reminds me that there once actually was a Hudson race car entered in either a AAA or NASCAR race that ran WITH VISOR. We can laugh now, but back then aerodynamics study was not quite as refined. Anyone have photos of THAT Hudson??

27. captmullette

captmullette

this is my friends '49, his son has a 47, both run big mopar, jody bought the 49 in colorado back in the sixties, they both run at atlanta, and reynolds ga.

Attached Files:

28. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

Wow is that ever cool.

-Dave

29. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

sweet pictures guys... lets keep em coming! here are two showing Randy's 41 and Gary's 53 Launching... both 308 powered and one from the salt flats.

Attached Files:

30. anyone remember this one

Attached Files: