Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Photos taken before WW2 - history in black and white

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twin6, Jun 13, 2010.

1. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Yellerspirit - thanks for sharing your great photos. I've enjoyed ones you have posted elsewhere on the HAMB, and it's great to have you join in on this thread.

2. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Holy crap, SunRoofCord. The GIRL GANGS are taking over this thread!

[​IMG]

Oh, well. AT LEAST IT'S NOT THE PACKARD GALS!!!!

3. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

And now for something completely different. Horsch's lined up as you'd expect in Germany at the '36 Olympics. The cars are timeless classics, but those mustaches are no longer in fashion.

Attached Files:

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Damn! I LOVE it when they employ ONLY factory-
    trained mechanics to work on MY baby!!!

[​IMG]

5. Labold

Labold

That's one crazy lady!:eek:

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for this rare pic, Twin6. Most folks would have discounted it. My first impression is that this may well have been the leavings from a bon fire. For reasons not clear to me in 2010, metals guys often LIKED to let steel lie for a few years before putting it into the ladle for re-smelting. Obviously, it's just a WAG on my part. Thanks again!

[​IMG]

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I don't think an engineer was involved in construction!
    Shit, I'd hate to be the guy assigned to change a flat
    on THIS S.O.B. !!!

[​IMG]

8. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Jimi..... Here is another pile of tin for you. Stone RMSC photo

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      392.3 KB
      Views:
  9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

T-Head, this is significant, BUT I don't wanna waste a whole lot of thread time on it, since it probably bores people. I just feel kinda sorry for cars that started off as well-enameled creations, some selling originally for the price of a nice house! Rodders today would KILL to go get those cowlings and other bodywork! THANKS, buddy!

[​IMG]

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Early automobiles parked outside the Baseball Park at Bay Street near Webster Avenue. Rochester NY. Stone, RMSC Photo

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      396.5 KB
      Views:
  11. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Griffith Cooper poses with his car after driving it off the edgeand into the Erie Canal near the Plymouth Avenue Bridge in Rochester, NY. Stone, RMSC Photo

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      347.9 KB
      Views:
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

How come only four of the cars have steering wheels? Are the others real or photoshopped back in the day?[​IMG]

13. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

14. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

15. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Somebody put DONK wheels on that truck!!!!

16. early guy

early guy
    from Kansas

T-Head-is this a Mercer? Neat photo showing a now unusual 1914 Virginia license plate.

Attached Files:

17. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

EG......Nice photo and that's quite a hat, I wonder if its good for 60MPH?......No its not a Mercer but I would guess a 40 HP+ car. It is very Simplex like but it is not one of those either.

18. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

A group of mostly female motorists gathered before the fountain at the Albright Art Gallery c. 1909. The photo appeared in the catalog of the
    Babcock Automobile Company of Buffalo. They were sitting in a style called the "stanhope" (also manufactured by other
    companies) which featured a single bench seat, folding cloth top, front buckboard, and tiller steering. A 1904 Buffalo stanhope
    cost $1640 ($33, 864 in 2005 dollars). At this stage in automobile manufacturing, all vehicles were purchased by the wealthy.

[​IMG]

A typical wealthy Buffalo couple might have two automobiles: an electric for the women in the family and a gasoline auto for the
    men in the family. The electric automobile was quiet, easy to operate, and emission-free; it was also heavy, slow, unable to
    climb hills, and in need of recharging after 20-50 miles. Such a vehicle was quickly marketed to women, doctors, delivery
    businesses and others residing in an urban environment where electricity for recharging was available. The gasoline automobile
    had already been adopted by men for its speed and "portability," i.e. it could "tour" in rural areas and be re-fueled at gasoline
    stations that quickly sprang up around Western New York. The Buffalo Automobile Club was a touring club for
    gasoline vehicles; its membership was male.
    [​IMG]
    The Buffalo Electric Carriage Company garage at 240 W. Utica Street, lined with new Stanhopes c. 1905.
    Although in 1900, equal numbers of electric-, gasoline- and steam-powered automobiles were produced
    in the U.S., it quickly became apparent that electrics would not succeed in competition with gasoline
    models (becoming more reliable each year) unless a revolution in the electric battery came about that
    would result in a lighter battery that would produce more power for a longer run per charge. Thomas
    Edison took on this challenge (see his optimism here) and did produce an early alkaline battery, but
    it was not powerful enough to replace the lead-acid battery then used in electrics.
    In 1908, there were 300 electric automobiles privately owned in Buffalo; more were used daily by
    delivery companies. But Henry Ford had begun mass-production of gasoline vehicles in 1904, driving down
    the price of owning an automobile. And in 1913, a battery-powered electric starter eliminated the
    dangerous manual crank-starting of automobiles, opening the way for widespread ownership by women.
    The Buffalo Electric Carriage Company (1900 - 1906), which became the Babcock Electric Carriage
    Company (1906 - 1912), changed its ownership again in 1912. It became The Buffalo Electric Vehicle Company
    and had a short life. It continued manufacturing at the 1911 complex at 1219-1247 Main Street in
    Buffalo (at Northhampton St.) but by 1916, it was out of business, one of 30 automakers that came and went in
    Buffalo in the twentieth century.
    N.B. The Buffalo Electric Vehicle Company building still stands in 2006 and is being transformed
    by Art Space into artists' residential and work space. ​

19. swi66

swi66

20. swi66

swi66

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Anybody recognize anything on the front row there???

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: white 8px solid; BORDER-TOP: white 8px solid; BORDER-LEFT: white 8px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: white 6px solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white" align=middle>[​IMG]

Not a junkyard shot in the regular sense, this pic is of scrapped cars

in 1930 waiting to be salvaged for materials to make new Fords. It was
    taken at Ford's Rouge River Plant near Detroit and is in the photo archives
    of the New York Times. This photo can be ordered in "exhibition quality" and sizes
    (meaning suitable for framing) from the New York Times Store site
    ( nycshopkolinsky.info/auto-salvage-1930). Such prints are minus
    the NYT watermark shown here.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

SWI, any story behind all those beat-up cars?
    Or, is it simply that they were all in accidents?

[​IMG]

I like the period moralizing and use of GUILT in this old ad !!!
    GREAT stuff, SWI!

23. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

This is a fairly clever idea......

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      145.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      443.8 KB
      Views:
  24. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

I think the steering wheels are all present and accounted for, on these single cylinder Cadillacs. The Horsch photo may remain a mystery - good catch 37kid.

Attached Files:

25. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Not quite Toy Story 3, but this Teddy has a great ride. EG should be able to nail this one down easily.

Attached Files:

26. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Before electric starters, there were hand cranks and the inevitable achy backs. And smashed thumbs for guys not doing it right. An RCH on the left, mystery car on right.

Attached Files:

27. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Jimi, this is the Butler Petrol Cycle.
    Englishman Edward Butler designed this 'car' and showcased it at the 1885 Inventions Exibition. In 1887 he patened the design and later built this working model in 1890. Powered by a 2 cylinder water cooled engine with electronic ignition and jet carburtetor it is said to be the first automobile made in Britain and it recieved plenty of attention but never any interest as suitable transportation because of Britain's Red Flag Act.

28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Twin6 leaving to have lunch downtown......

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      225.8 KB
      Views:
  29. early guy

early guy
    from Kansas

Looks like Teddy has himself a nice Oldsmobile-1909 probably.
    Here are a few pics of a local car. You know the saying "Sellers market"?
    I guess it wasn't...

Attached Files:

30. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Don't Mess with us.....Twin6 on the left, Early Guy in the middle and yours truly with our WWI Whippet tanks......WE BAD....Just wait until you see our plane.......RMSC Photo

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      369.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010