Register now to get rid of these ads!

is Buckaroo comunictions / streetrod builder magazine dead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by millersgarage, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Big Dad

Big Dad

I bought several of the magazines in this group 5-8 years ago , in the begining they were quality mags with great builds, step by step ..

The subs were always high IIRC $34.50 per year but, the tech was then worth it .

Suddenly, it turned into a Dupont "wild Hues" mags and it was 90% ad's ?

I let all of them lapse, and decided then to contribute a on place that had current topics like ---Here ?

I'd rather give money to the HAMB --I just hope Ryan doesn't charge us what he can to be here :p

2. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

Well, I can tell you one thing. John Dianna was far from what the definition of a car guy is. He may have drag raced, but he is business man first (and a poor one at that).

3. Rem

Rem

Here ya go:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170405989519

It has been up a few times recently - reserve was around $55,000 but it looks like he's given up on that (it did reach $50,000+ on one occasion).

4. millersgarage

millersgarage

I am unable to find definate news about their business situation. I understand that everyone thinks that they are gone, but I find it odd that there is no news about it going out of business, or someone in the know saying for sure.

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Searched Lexis-Nexis and some heavy duty newspaper databases, no actual news beyond their move to Tennessee to save on rent a year and a half ago.

6. millersgarage

millersgarage

see what I mean....I think that is odd. Must be they are not truely out of business, but just scaled back or something.

7. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

That had space reserved at SEMA...were they there? The VP advertising and HR person have bailed out and left Tennessee.

8. If they file Chapter 7 or 11 I believe that has to be published somewhere, probably in the local newspaper, which may or may not be searchable online -

9. Cruiser

Cruiser

Sad to hear this about yet another car magazine. Reminds me of the runaround that Rod Action give subscribers and free lance writers when they went under. One free lancer, I know lost $2K for work he did for them and I was out $300 they owed me for articles. Magazine business IS a risky business, so I'm not surprised Buckaroo looks like in finished.

CRUISER :cool:

10. No great loss there.

11. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

I worked for them up until a year ago when I was laid off and I can tell everyone one thing: the only communication with that company is in its name.

12. Ghostrides

Ghostrides

After starting to wonder where the hell my magazine (SRB) was, I finally got a hold of a gal in the office there. She stated that they were getting ready to put out the combined issue for January and February and that since they had not kept up on issues, they had extended my subscription time out to compensate. I am not holding my breath that I will see another issue. They were originally a good rag when they first came out, but like someone else posted in here earlier, they started pimping their advertisers products waaaayyyyy too much under the guise of Tech articles. That disappointed me greatly, how many times do I need an article on how to install a Lokar shifter? Duhhh! Might as well see if I can get lucky enough to score a refund before they are completely out of money.

13. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i called awhile back ,demanded a refund, was told okay, it took a few months but i actually got a refund check and it did not bounce

14. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

even Source Interlink (hot rod) filed bankruptcy last year.

times are tough.

15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

maybe Jesse James with save American Rodder or Rodders Digest, are you listening Jesse?

16. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I recall when they first started, great pictures, good content, quality mag.Then as time went by they grew and built thier own building, began buying up other mags etc. I thought hey they are doin good but if they are buying other mags, that means the other mags are going out of business. so i have been waiting and sure enough looks like they went under too. I thought they were kinda livin high off the hog, but there pix werent as good an the content wasnt there anymore.

17. ABARTH

ABARTH

in case you haven't noticed, some of the folks involved in American Rodder and Rodder's Digest (Gerry Burger) and Buckaroo's best photographer, Josh Mishler, have had their stuff published in recent months in Street Rodder mag. Nice to see their quality stuff show up somewhere.

18. I just read the aticle in Street Rodder by Gerry Burger. Hmmmmmmmmm.

19. jangleguy

jangleguy

Gerry Burger has joined me in the freelance world, like many others over the last year. It's cut throat out here now.
    Another freelancer friend I spoke with this week (who shall remain nameless) told me Buckaroo owes him $8,000 and he's not holding his breath.
    My hope is that some lessons will learned from all of this - but I'm a hopeless optimist...

Scotty

20. wow!
    no more overpriced billet irs suspension installs
    no more air ride computer how tos
    now how am i ever gonna install that 1200 dollar dakota digital dash or build a "budget" 40 k plus rod?
    oh well.

21. RF

RF

Cat's outta da bag--R&C's goin' all '68 Poncho! We're gonna take the Four-Door Family Funster market by storm...at least in the Bonneville, Catalina, and Ventura segment.

22. millersgarage

millersgarage

I noticed Josh's photos a few months ago, but I did not notice Gerry's until you mentioned it, then I went back and looked it up. I read that article and never noticed. I guess that truely answers my question...

And if we a ripping on magazines about their catering to their advertisers, how about that Editorial in Street Rodder last month? The entire thing was an ad placement. It really annoyed me. Not to mention the magazines physical size is shrinking.

Street Rodder is a Source Interlink product too.

23. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

After buying and collecting many rod titles for 45 years, I've had it. Regardless of how good or bad the content is, I'm sick of high magazine prices. Enough is enough!

24. chevy3755

chevy3755

im tired of the "HOW TO FROM THE PARTS SLAYERS"......what happened o the OLD school build......this part from this car will work here?.....no more junkyard walks.....i miss that part...........just my 2 pennys

25. jangleguy

jangleguy

Thank God! Good to hear you guys have finally gotten back on track. This the best news in years!

26. Falfa204

Falfa204

OK now I'll post my 2 cents.Most mags now have way too much advertising.When they first came out I really liked the format in SR and SRB,but as time went on it was all ads.I have bought enough magazines over the last 30 years to build a Ridler car and now I feel ripped off,can someone tell me where I can get a refund.LOL

27. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Agreed........American Rodder had gotten to be a bit too *Cheesecakie* for my taste, but it really went to shit when Buckaroo took it over and made it gold chainer.........I got a lot of good *How To* articles out of the old magazine......

CB

28. hemisedan

hemisedan

I remember, back in about 2003, when I came up with the weird idea that I wanted to build a last hotrod from the ground up again. My current wife, and still is, had never known anything about hotrods/streetrods as she is from Russia, so I thought that it would be interesting having her involved. That's when I found Streeet Rod Builder.

I liked how they would feature a car, then show build up pictures of that same car. It was neat. Also, lots of "How To Build"s and that was nice. Then, fast forward several years, I had't looked at the magazine, actually I couldn't find it on the grocer's shelf, I picked it up again. WOW, what a change. Now, I'm of the Hotrodder age, that's the age before they coined the name Streetrodder, and I see that they are going the same way as the rest. Late, and later models and then the advertising. I know that it takes advertisers to make the magazine a profit, but let's get real. Same for StreetRodder, but even moreso.

Guess that my point is, here was a nice rag, great articles that you don't see in other magazines, and then they start doing the same as the others. It seemed to me, that in the beginning they were going to the out of the way Rod Runs. Found nice cars, got with the owners, found that they had some construction pictures, and used them. The wright ups were great, and talked about cars instead of trying to make jokes.

Anyway, just my quarter's worth.

29. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

A little perspective is necessary here. Having been a car book writer and having worked in the high performance advertising business, I look at things a bit differently. First off, ad revenue pays the light bills, the printer and the staff. No ads, no magazine. When you spend a couple of thousand dollars a month in ads, clients expect (and deserve) some editorial consideration. Some books were better at doing an honest job than others. And, some books took a press release and did a real whore job.

Ryan has taken an interesting direction with the Atomic Industry stable of websites. While there are no ads, the benefits of an annual $50.00 Alliance membership translates into discounts provided by the vendors rather than Atomic Industries. Compare that to the current offering for 36 issues of HOT ROD for $25.00. That doesn't even cover the printing costs, let alone postage. RODDER'S JOURNAL has about five or six full page ads and a $15.00 cover price.

The point of this post is very simply, that if you want magazines, you have to take the ads along with the editorial content.

30. And when the readership quits buying, then what ???

Chapter 11 didn't teach these guys anything, did it ???