Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville... Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Kinda like fuel drag racing, no writen words can really capture it. Videos are a good start. Going to El Mirage sort of makes you know what to look at and lets you make friends there. But, Bonneville is stunning even with knowing all that. It's BIG! It's like 4 miles from the start lanes to the beginning of the pits. Hearing the engine of a streamliner or lakester when they shift and the engine tugs down and it throws salt into the air behind it. And they guys who know, say whoo, that's on a pass. That's a sort of Zen moment, when it all makes perfect sense. My only regret is that I waited so long to go. I should have been there with Ak Miller and ol' Fred Larson. I can't say they didn't tell me.

It was very cool to meet all you folks I did get to meet. And any old time I can see Denise and BobK, is a good time. BenD and the kids were pretty cool. Nobody ever looks like you might think, do they...? Greezy's '40 coupe is a real hot rod.

2. scarylarry

scarylarry

Just got home last night, 2200 miles one way. Nice to see you again. Thanks for lunch John.

3. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Fantastic Video!! You can put me down for a Poster as well.

4. Ryan, I sit here giggling like a little girl, purely because I know that now you will guys will be looking at things from a different perspective, kinda like that 'red pill/blue pill' deal, your vision will be more focused, and opinionated, for the good, and the bad.

Like a addict, you will find yourself going through highs and lows, and the 'regular' scene that you always accepted to be real will leave a irregular taste in your mouth, but hopefully for the better, as I'm sure that vision is what seperates the 'extraordinary' from the ordinary, hereos are people that don't accept boundaries....

I trust you will understand my jibberish, but, like joyo said, 'rat rods suck'....that statement has an entirely new perspective after you've been to the salt....

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

5. autobilly

autobilly

Cool post, sensational video!:)

6. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

Very cool video indeed!! I was just talking with a buddy of mine about going out there in the future. I think the whole experience would be worth every second. I can't wait, videos like this really get me going. It looks like you had a wicked time and made great friends. Thanks for sharing your great trip with fellow Hamb's.:)

7. Ryan-For the last week I've been sitting here at the computer looking at the posts on Bonneville and thinking I need to go there. Your post made it so real. Now, I HAVE to go there.
    In my life time I have been active in several automotive and motorcycle sports and while it is definately fun to be there as a spectator there is nothing like being involved as a part of a crew or as a participant. It just simply increases the level of involvement to a higher plane.
    I HAVE TO GO! Next year in the old truck, I have to go!
    Thanks for your excellent post.
    Later,
    Dick

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You do have to go man... Everyone has to go.

My entire perspective on hot rodding has changed.

9. MilesM

MilesM

Ben
    Best quote i have seen.

Good to see you and your kids again.

10. InPrimer

InPrimer

Best event of my life (car) glad to have been there and surely will be back in '10

11. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

Has any imfo been posted on the pair from germany with the 1955 belly tank run 180+ they where at bob's friday nite &came to the burbank shriners to show &fire up great story

12. Chuck R

Chuck R

Ryan,
    When we are driving down highway 50 and I get that first glimpse of the salt I am immediately covered with goose bumps. There is an overwhelming feeling of the past hot rodders that have gone before us. This happens every trip. This connection is real.
    chuck

13. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

Another great write up Ryan I am going to try everything to be there next year

14. Thanks for the video Ryan. Being part of that bunch of guys is a trip in itself! Nice meeting you, we'll see you again next year? Superb video. Thanks again..... Crow.

15. You're a stealthy bastard Ryan, I didn't see hyde nor hair of you all weekend, and I stayed at the gawd awful Nugget too!!

16. oj

oj

I am so sick. I've never been to Bonneville and just dying to experience it and a team thats heading out there next month called and need a hand. They're leaving on the 13th and i am committed to be in michigan from the 17th into early october and i can't go. No way can i postpone the michigan thing. Miserable, i am just miserable.

17. Ryan, excellent write up. And this will sound like your high school English teacher, but THIS is what made your blog so captivating. Your growth as a writer has come a long way in the last year or so, and this was some of your best stuff yet. And it's because it came from the heart. Well done. Now work on that documentary so we can all buy the DVD....ok, maybe next year!;):cool:

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Ryan,

Great coverage! Bville is still on my bucket list.

19. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

The best things in life are those that change our insides, experiences that we alone have, but try to share and explain. You do a fabulous job of making your adventures real to those of us who missed it....As above, the moment where Bobby pulls away is epic, yet for we uninitiated, has happened thousands of times over the decades. You just bring it home to us in a way that is real and accessible. God Bless Ryan Cochran and the HAMB.
    DP
    PS Someday I'll tell you about climbing the Blue Mountain in Jamaica at 4 AM...nah, you had to be there:)

20. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

AWESOME Story.. I wish I could have been there!!! I was there in Spirit..

21. sidehacker

sidehacker

Awesome video, I found myself holding my breath waiting for the 2.5 mile mark. Look for the tattoed sidehack pilot on the salt in the future.

22. muroc

muroc

I've only just recieved the link to this via a buddy of mine - and was so proud to see my own '39 in the pics and the comment below!!

We had a ball driving the old girl out to Bonneville from NY - and back........with the rolling bones guys, Im from England and my Co-driver from South Africa.........

Cant believe it

Thank you Ryan!!!!