Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flashback - Name Your Vintage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 25, 2008.

1. CruZer

CruZer

Yeah, that brought back some memories,Ryan. I like Dillards answer. He hasn't changed much.
    Kepp the oldies comin'.
    Glenn

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

haha, yeah i remember many of those OT posts, as well as thinking of that lay out as 'the new hamb'

3. That was right after you had changed formats. I hadn't re-registered yet. Believe it or not I was shy back then... I got over it.

I have to say 55-65 is my favorite although there are things I dig from all era's. I like the can do attitude of the day. If you wanted to go racing, get a few buddies together, pool your time and $$$ and hit a national event. Try that today.

Things really seemed to have changed once the muscle cars hit.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that was indeed a blast.... "Fat girls with tattoos"... you know that went downhill fast... There are things I like about the old days vs. now... But for the most part I have to agree with Buzzard, though I do say every once and a while someone will rub ya the wrong way and you just want to tear into them.... lol....

5. No photos of El Mosquito or Tortuga? page long stream-of-consciousness GERM rants?

hahah - classic.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember teh record number of guys on line at teh same time was 39.

You could go an entire sunday afternoon and NOTHING got posted.

Way more hoppin' these days.

-Abone.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I remember that thread too

the paul on page 2 is not me, I was still lurking or had just joined under my full name, soon after I asked Ryan to change my name to 60's Style,
    because of that thread.

Hot Rods, I like 'em all, pre-war, post-war and up through the sixties
    most of what I build somehow ends up with a '60s flavor though

same with customs,
    'really dig all the great builds '30s through the '60s
    because true beauty is timeless

8. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

i've grown up a little since then... i can appreciate the earlier stuff... but i still like the 50's and especially the early 60's the best

9. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

and p.s.

if anybody is looking for mud just follow the monster truck tire tracks and the trail of vega parts. you'll find him sooner or later.

10. Elrod

Elrod

Heh... Someone pointed out to me that one of those "Off Topic" posts that you put an arrow next to was your post Ryan! :D :D

11. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

That is funny......the "El Mosquito".........I think that I remember when he got "Knuckle tats" Florida style.......I did try to search the "Germ" post......"The scent of a woman".......good writing even though it was a bit off the wall, but he called it like it was.......I know there are two sides for the "Germ" posts.........but, when we met him in 02' and the wife made him get in the rental car at Bonneville to go meet BobK to get something from him........he wondered if BobK was going to "punch him"........and we said "Nope, he just wants to give you a PBR hat"......hahaha..........oh yea, what ever happened to "burndUpCRX"?

Vintage hotrod-Chrisman coupe or the glass slipper

Kustom-The Bertolucci coupe/Vert.

Attached Files:

12. I remember that post...

Seeing the old format makes me grin!!! The drama! ...Southside Shoppaz Got Skilz!!!

I'm all about early customs...Westergard, Bertolucci. Per is my hero of custom knowledge!

13. GreggAz

GreggAz

wow I have grown up a bit, no more hondas... but I like my rods and customs the same for the most part. I appreciate small blocks a bit more now.

14. QQMOON

QQMOON

LOL made me smile the whole way through and Ryan only had 180 odd posts and so did Sam and Rocky ...................AHHHH Nostalgia

15. autobilly

autobilly

Interesting look at the old HAMB for us new guys. In 2001, I'd hardly used a computer and didn't give a rat's about the Net. I had no way of knowing about the HAMB.
    I'm interested in most cars from the begining, up until around the late '6o's. I dig the race cars of the '2o's and '3o's, and the factory cars from the Big Three of the late '5o's.
    But as far as hot rod and custom styles go, it has to be late '4o's thru early '5o's. We all know the ingrediants. The technological, social and geographic mix was just rite. What a recepie!

16. Otto

Otto

The "shit in the shape of machinery" post was an old HAMB classic. Anyone remember that one? Some cat across the pond trying to fix his john and describing his saga in such good detail I cried laughing so hard....

Otto

17. After seeing what it used to look like I realized I saw it before joining. That's funny! I wish I would've joined back then.
    I still love the cars from the 50's most. Second choice would be the 40's. Early rodding...

18. Anderson

Anderson

Man...I remember that header and format....it is amazing how much it has changed.

19. Von Franco

Von Franco

Every time I posted back thin the spelling nazies would attack me and others.So i
    got scareded of dem and didn`t post much lol. Now i r smart .....................

20. That's right about the time I discovered the HAMB. I started my job at the insurance company in March of 2001, and that was the first time in a couple of years I had computer access. I lurked for a few months and joined that fall. I remember the "fat girls with tattoos" thread.

it's funny, people moan about how many off-topic posts there are these days...that screen shot is proof that not THAT much has changed.

As for favorite eras...Customs -Post war to about 55ish. Not much for anything after that. Hot rods -I'll take pre-war to the 60's...

21. It wasn't just spelling you'ld get jumped on for! That's why I drug my feet a bit getting back on after the format change.

22. Greybeard

Greybeard

I think a simple lakester-nosed T with nerf bars, a multi-carbed flathead and a Frankland QC is about the sweetest thing on wheels.
    And, while I wouldn't want one in the garage, I have a real soft spot in my heart for a certain snow white '59 Impala with red spear, red interior, Olds spinners, long skirts, Continental kit, custom rear lenses and a pair of slant back antennae that was built by a neighborhood kid when it was brand new, and replicated by me later that fall in an AMT model that built and gave to him.

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Man look at the post count of the members at that time.. some names I had forgotten and a few I think about from time to time wondering what happened to them.

The topics listed was interesting, we remember the HAMB so differently then maybe it was.

For me the 60's are my favorite era for hotrods and customs

24. That was Christians "turd chopper" gone haywire. It was reposted here a few months back.

25. junkmonger

junkmonger

It's 40's and 50's hot rods and customs for me. Most of these cars are understated, yet have a personality all their own. In a word, sublime

For hot rods, I like the pre-war to mid 50's model T roadsters; especially the Danny Sakai modified, the Isky '23 T, Blackie Gejeian's '26 T, and Frank Mack's '27 T.

My favorite Customs are Jack Calori's '36 Ford Coupe, Nick Matranga's '40 Merc, the Larry Ernst '51 Chevy (second version), and the Polynesian.

26. I like all periods except for the 70's and 80's...
    I'm not into customs too much, but I could get into designing and building a radical one...
    just not for myself.
    I really like early track cars, especially the roaring CRA roadsters. From there I fall for drag machines from the late 40's to the late 60's... I especially like the 60's drag stuff and long for the day when I will be able to pilot my own front engined drag car.
    But if I had to pick a period to live in, and although I used to say I wished I had grown up in the 50's, I'd have to say the good old days are right now.

Hot Rod: Tony Nancy's 22jr. flathead powered Model A
    'cause it's so damn fast and so damn cool!
    Custom: Mooneyham & Sharp 554 '34 fuel coupe
    Wha'? It's a custom... sort of.

27. texastramp

texastramp

This quote from Don Dillard is about a good as it gets ......

[/QUOTE]
    As someone else here said, money can buy a lot of things but it can't buy good taste. If someone has good taste, they can build a car from any era and it will look right. The guy with no taste might get it right if he's lucky and/or has influential friends with good taste.[/QUOTE]

28. AHotRod

AHotRod

Man......this brings back good memories......things around here were wild then....sometimes I really miss it.

29. Ooh! I bet I posted on the 'Best Hair Grease' post! :)