Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brill Buses? Old busses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopyshots, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

I have a new friend who has an old Brill Bus, it's a 1947 with a 779 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine. He got it and took it home after it had been sitting for just shy of forever, put new spark plugs and new wires on it and it fired right up. Information on old Brill Busses is hard to find. Just thought I'd pick everyones brain. I couldn't get a pic of the engine, it's in the middle of the bus under the floor.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a Brill IC-41 coach. Iconografix publishes an excellent photo archive on the history of ACF-Brill.

3. Frank

Frank

I have never seen one before. How the heck do you enter it? I don't see a door.

4. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

i guess the door is kind of hidden. the door is just behind the front pass. wheel. this is a long hauler so it only had one door. City buses had a rear door as well.

5. hoof

hoof

That thing just screams redneck motor home! Looks like maybe it could use "seafoamed," appears to be smoking just a little.
    CHAZ

6. I thought it was doing a burnout.

7. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

SWEET!!!.....kind of looks like a Crown. Dig the wrap around windshields

8. 6volt jolt

6volt jolt

Larry at National Bus Trader magazine can probably point him in the right direction of other people who may have that brand of bus.

9. Frank

Frank

I had a weird experience at the Roundup last year on Saturday night. I say weird because no one else seems to remember. I wasn't even drinking.

I saw this guy a couple of times walking around looking at the bikes and cars. What made him look out of place was the old suit and hat though he was probably in his 20's. Looked straight out of the 1950's. Later, in traffic on Congress was this old yellow rounded 50's bus, I think it might have been a Fixable. It was that guy driving it. He was happily cruising by himself in this whale with the door open and beeping the horn. Looked like some kind of time traveler.

10. Wow - 779 ci!! Is that a diesel or gas? Would be a great transplant for the 6 in my wagon!! LOL

Steve

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Lower that bitch! Man, what potential!

12. I'm thinkin, cut it away and make a dual car flatbed hauler!

13. Phil1934

Phil1934

No, I'm thinking take about 4 windows out of the length and then slant chop it from full height in the front to no side window at rear. You could add a large sheet metal Buck Rogers fin to the roof to level it back out if you wanted.

14. I have a 1941 (471) and 1957 (671) GMC conversions both supposed to run. out in my Orchard anyone looking for a cheap starter project? the 57 is fairly complete conversion and about ready to travel in

15. Squablow

Squablow

I know where there is a junkyard in Wi. that has a 40's ACF Brill bus in it. It's super quasi-futuristic, someone made it into a camper at one time and now it just sits in the yard. Could probably get parts off of it if need be.

If I had one that ran, I'd make a Futurliner clone and tell everyone I paid 4 million dollars for it.

16. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

It's Gas. And it doesn't smoke at all. the smoke in the picture is from leaves that some animal packed in around the engine.

17. wc chopper

wc chopper

Maybe its the New Dr Who? and instead of a police box the tardis is a bus!!

18. That thing gets around. The last time I saw it was in CA....Charlie Manson and his girls were cruising around in it.

19. toolow4i75

toolow4i75

That is one sweet bus, any interior shots? What are your friends plans for it?
    It looks like there is another bus behind it in the first photo.
    I have always wanted a bus, although I don't know what I would do with it.
    Dave

20. Elrod

Elrod

You're not crazy. I saw that guy. heh.

That bus looks like it was definately doin' some road time in the 60's by the paint scheme!

21. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

How about a rear clam shell? Something like the giant airplanes.

Just pop it open, extend the high tech looking ramps and drive the car or what ever out.

Also make it multi functional and design it to be able to carry a hot tub, bar etc.

Just thinking.

DFE

22. ACF and Brill primarily built railroad equipment, ACF frieght and passenger cars, Brill, trolleys. Good to see someone saving one of these things, most folks just don't have the room. There is a GM bus of this vintage that looks like it would run and go, and it's just sitting in a junkyard, I'd try and get it but I wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

23. Flatman

Flatman

I'll ask around work and see if there's any old manuals still kicking around. We used to run them up until the '70s. Apparently, that mid engine setup was common in them. I think the city versions had a pancake four in the middle:confused:

Flatman

24. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

A manual would be great! thanks

25. jalopyshots

jalopyshots

he is refurbishing the bus. the bus behind the Brill is a newer BlueBird bus he got at an auction for $50, then drove it home!

check out his photobucket site for lots more pictures
    http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l127/Brill-o/

26. here is a pic of before and after on a bus my dad just did last year. He loves the thing, and put very little money in it....just for fun. Another way you could go with yours.

Attached Files:

27. Birds, bats, mice and nuts. No possums?

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Brill made streetcars too

29. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Greyhound ran these busses in the day and I think it may be powered by a Hall Scott gas motor