Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch splines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toucan, Oct 9, 2012.

1. toucan

toucan
    from sc

is there anyway to tell which spline axles you have without pulling the axles? were there certain years the splines changed or was the difference the model of car?

2. toucan

toucan
    from sc

oh yeah the question! how many splines on a 59 ford 9 inch rearend axle?

3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

73 and newer they started to use 31 splines alot on the trucks, before that is was mostly 28 spline based on my experience.

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Most likely 28

5. R Pope

R Pope

Had a few '59's, all were 28, even the one that was a posi. My '64 Merc Marauder is a 28 spline too.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

A 59 would be a 28 spline. I don't know if it is a sure fire way, but from my experience, on the hub end of the 28 spline axles, there is a recess on the axle end. On 31 splines the ends are flat with what looks like two partially drilled holes about 5/16".

7. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

31 spline were mostly in high output muscle cars until some time in the 70's they became common in 1/2 ton trucks.

I think that was true for the early axles, but I have six 28 spline 9" from the 70s, they all have the 2 hole ends. They are the large diameter, then neck down at the spline end. I have one 31 spline with just a plain end. I think it was originally from an 80's van, narrowed and redrilled for the car pattern.

Attached Files:

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

In 1966, the 31 spline axles were painted red on one side and green on the other on full-size cars anyway. Mine is 6 hours from me right now, or I could tell you which color is on which side.

9. 65COMET

65COMET

A 59 passenger car will be 28 spline unless somebody swapped out the center section and axles.It should also have the small outer bearings! ROY.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the OP's case, they are 28, unless they are non-OEM.

Aside from that, I know of no other way but pulling them to check. I have seen at-least one example that disproves every "method" of determining from the outside, including the recess/drilled holes on the register method.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very likely the colors would follow the international standard of Red for Port/Left and Green for Starboard/Right....... :D

Ray

12. One way to identify 28 spline axle shafts can be by looking at the center brake hub area, a rectangular slot in the center will indicate 28 spline axles. The 31 spline axle shafts will have a different appearance, with one small center chamfer and two outer holes in the center hub However, 28 spline shafts can also appear like this to, so it does not always indicate 31 spline shafts. This may not be 100% but it helps and has always worked for me.

13. Weasel

Weasel

^^^In other words, 'results may vary'....;)

14. In other words yeah! But its always worked for me. :p :D

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"Hello, I'm Dr. Dolittle, your brain surgeon. I will be using a procedure that I know is not always successful, but 'Hey', so far it has worked for me. Just relax, and I'll see you in Recovery.......maybe" :)

Ray

16. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

This is the method I used and it worked for me identifying mine as a 28 spline shaft.
    Paul

17. Gimpy you are correct, I have been told one of everything about how to tell and I think it must vary from one year to the next. My early bronco 31 spline axles have the entir center of the register indented with two holes. They would have been used for locating during the machining process.

I have a pair of 31 spline axles from a big block mustang in the basement (they don't belong to me so don't ask) that the is not indented at all.

I like to use early bronco rearends, they are narrow and if you center the pinion up on them you only have to get one axle shortened. I have never pulled an early bronco down yet that was not 31 spline.

I have also yet to pull a *dimple rearend down that was not 28 spline. That would be '57 through the early '60s.

Oh while all 31 spline axles were big bearing axles many 28 spline axles are also big bearing so don't count bearing size as a way to tell.

While I am thinking about it there is a wealth of 9" Ford info in this thread tons of links to follow:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367262

*See pic ['57 was the only true smooth back]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  18. There's a smartass in every crowd! :)

19. Well I learned this from a friend that was locked down for a bit, being a smartass is way better than having your ass smart. :D

20. That's similar to "ass hole" and "whole ass". :D

21. I know a real funny joke about crack dealers and bung holes. But it is visual so I will have to tell when I see you. Maybe it is somthing I can draw.

22. Ha Ha!

Interesting! Frightening, but interesting!

23. hey I just noticed your post count you are getting to the 2500 cut off point.

24. Shhhhhhh!

People will take notice!

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This can be proven by looking at the axles on any "Galax-Sea". yuk, yuk

26. It really isn't that hard to pull a 9" axle and look at it, 4 bolts hole the axle retainer to the housing end then you just tug, sometimes you have to use a slide hammer or a length of chain wrapped around the end of the axle and snap it the first time you pull one. It can them be slid back in no adjustment necessary.

Now if it was an 8.75 Dodge it would be a different story.

Way easier than brain surgery.

27. nobby

nobby

[​IMG]
    big bearing 2 holer and 28 splined

and weirdly have two hole hubbed 31 splined shafts, with small bearings, and the register machined for 10'' drum brakes.
    [​IMG]
    of which I don't even know what drums I need 10 by something

28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Both early Bronco rear ends I've taken apart have been 28 spline small bearing.

29. Maybe I am just lucky. ;) I wasn't aware that they came small bearing or 28 spline. Good to know now I will tell whomever to look before they buy. Thanks

30. toucan

toucan
    from sc

well that was great! it looks like 28 splines are most common in older cars. thanks to all who helped! behold the power of the HAMB!