Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Other Flame Styles: Chunky Flames, Thick Flames, Von Dutch-Style Flames..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasSpeed, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Just found this on another thread, I thought it fit. By the way, I'm maybe gonna do a Berardini Bros. style flame job on my coupe when its done..... kinda cream colored and I don't know what color the body will be yet.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Definitely different from the new style.. No idea what I'd call them either.

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The flames on mine will definitely be cream white. Haha. :) I'm leaning towards a metallic green shade real similar to the one on LadyShifter's Vic.

4. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Are those flames or is it suppose to be a Jersey cow?

Attached Files:

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yep, as of right now my 5w will be going down the road. Unless I can sell something else that would get me close to what I need out of it.

In a way I'm sad, but I have to grow up and be a Dad......so I'm replacing it with a '32 Phaeton instead! Shhhh. :D

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think you're making a move up the ladder. Roadsters and coupes seem to be everywhere.

As for flames, I'll always liked the "California Kid" style and color.

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My favorite '32 is a 5w. However, I have been really really itching for a roadster lately AND I really need a family car so I can include them in on all the fun so this step seems to be a twofer....maybe even a threefer! I'm selling the coupe and my '54 and getting 3 cars out of the deal. A '32, a Roadster, and a family car! At least that's how I explained it to my wife :D

8. Jeffrey, phaetons are way cool! good luck!
    heres a few more I found... the pic at the lakes with a bunch of cars, the rpu closest to the camera has pretty cool flames.....

Joe

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

You're such a gold-chainer. Here I am, over here, giving you a pity party because the 5W went bye-bye.

Jeez.. :p

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahaha!! I'm sorry, Chris has rubbed off on me with this roadster shit. If I could I'd save the 5w for my son and me to build. I really want to build something with these big chunky flames and a overpowered engine.

Keep these images flowing like champagne.

11. some seaweed, some chunky.......

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  12. Here's a couple more......

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  13. The Bob Brown 40 Coupe......1954.
    I'm thinking about copying this style for my 40 PU.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    Stogy likes this.
  14. the Leland Kolb 32 Roadster was painted in my Dad's backyard in the mid 50's, we called this style "CAN OPENER FLAMES".

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  15. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

I think i read an article in rolls and pleats about someone that is going to build keith's pick up?!
    (inclusive the flames)
    Chico

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  16. the Earl Bruce Gullwing, he also built a pretty wild 40 Coupe.....RIP E.B.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what to make of this. Some of it looks like low brow comic book art, some of it looks kool. The early seaweed stuff is classic, Roth's truck is off the hook bitchin. It obviously had to progress to what we see today with kandys and flakes, but the old stuff sure takes you back. I can't say I'm feelin the Ayala truck. I would have expected more from them, and always felt that about it. Almost like a joke, maybe? I also never did get the reason for both sides trying to look identical. Close maybe, but exact? Just me I guess...

20. flynstone

flynstone

flames

Attached Files:

21. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

22. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I like the simple, primitive looking flames, the chunky ones, the squigly ones, the wavy ones, especially the ones on the old dry lakes racers..... some remind me of the ones I painted on my Schwinn newspaper delivery bike and the water slide decals I stuck on my plastic model cars

Attached Files:

23. No, Highlander - its not just you... Its lots of us... Our buddy Safari-Wagon likes the type of flames on the Ayala truck - Personally I think they look terrible - If ya want scallops, then paint scallops... If ya want flames, then paint flames... Safari-Wagon and I often fall on opposite sides of the discussion, this is how I know I have no polish blood in me... We still like hav'n him around for the other entertainment value he brings - I just really wonder about his taste sometimes...
    Meanwhile, These are flames....
    (My 2 cents worth)

Attached Files:

24. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I like these..

Attached Files:

25. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

My buddy daves 34 3 window

[​IMG]

26. apparently this is the Rod & Custom Dream Truck before much work started.....I don't really like these flames as much......

Attached Files:

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like Dave. He's my new buddy too! ;)