Register now to get rid of these ads!

Napa brand master cylinders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zep058, Sep 4, 2012.

1. zep058

zep058

Doing a dual master upgrade on my Chrysler and was looking online. Napa have their own "proformer" brand masters, are they any good or Chinese junk?
    As I will be ordering a bunch of tune up bits and pieces from them I wanted to do it all in one order.
    I was also looking at rockauto with a raybestos but there shipping prices are staggering.
    Any advice?

2. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Most Raybestos is import crap made in India and China some in Mexico the '65 Chevy I did ended up like the United Nations,I've had better luck with Bendix parts.

3. zep058

zep058

United nations, hahaha, thanks Jeff.
    I was looking at the bendix as they are a known brand. All my wheel cylinders are by them. but getting one in a decent amount of time was tricky so I was looking at alternatives. may have to wait and miss out on my dead line but brakes is not somewhere I want to scimp.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought from Rockauto once, and after the exhorbitant shipping, I'll never buy there again!

5. zep

NAPA does not make master cylinders, but I'll bet they have a tech line that you can ask them questions on. Try dropping them a note and asking them who makes their master cylinders for them and or where they are manufactured. They will probably be glad to answer your question.

Whenever I purchase a store brand I always ask.

6. I've actually had good luck with Rock Auto...at the very least it will give you a pricing comparison. I've brought their online pricing to Autozone & O'Reilly and had the manager match pricing, as well (depends on the "manager" of course).

I have had enough bad luck getting the wrong parts from the chain stores (NAPA excluded) that sometimes I'm happy to pay the shipping from Rock Auto, because it is far cheaper than time & frustration.

7. zep058

zep058

thanks for the replies.

Beaner, I would normally stick to name brands but NAPA has always been mentioned for parts so thought they may be okay and I wanted to get parts all in one place to make shipping easier.

Bigredtodd I really had planned to use rockauto for alot of parts but the shipping was like $58 to expedite it in 1-2 days to a local US address (I cant wait the 5-8 days for normal ground shipping).

But Amazon has come to the rescue and I can get a Raybestos master and all my other bits with free shipping to my parcel forwarder quickly.

8. Yeah, I always forget about how awesome Amazon.com is...

9. Bryan G

Bryan G
    from Delmarva

I haven't seen an American-sourced master cylinder in some time. I've got some Mexican rebuilds from NAPA, and Kanter has some new production stuff from Taiwan.

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I would have no problem installing a NAPA part. They have pretty good quality standards.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

With Rockauto, you have to compare shipping from their different sources to arrive at your final price. It's a bit of a pain, but they also have a feature for you to click on the best price including shipping.

I wouldn't give up on them though. I've gotten some sweet deals though them, just as an example, I bought a Wagner MC thru Rockauto for less than $8.

12. birdman42

birdman42

We use NAPA parts in our auto repair shop on a daily basis and have no problems with them. Very few parts are made here anymore.

13. banjorear

banjorear

The NAPA by me is able to tell where the part is made and also if there is a US-made version of the part. Never had an issue w/ NAPA parts myself, but do try my best to buy their US-made stuff.

14. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

autozone rebuilt masters have a stainless steel sleeve

from a large rebuider in canada

15. There are a lot of good parts rebuilt or manufactured on the opposite side of either border. Been that way for ever or a little longer, a lot of the fellas just never knew it I guess.

16. racemad55

racemad55

Don't know about their master cylinders but their premium rebuilt starter lasted 6 weeks!

17. You got the only one that rebuilt on Monday or Friday. :D:D

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Bought one from NAPA worked great. Only time I'll buy anything from Discount or Autozone is if NAPA. is closed. After buying a bad alternator from Discount and a bad starter from Autozone don't waste time with either one.

19. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

I've always had real good luck with NAPA. They always seem to have my part the next morning at the latest. Prices are a bit higher than most everyone else, but nine times out of ten you can get the right part you want the first time. That, in my experience, is a hell of a good thing. And they are good about making good on a bad part.

20. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

NAPA PROFORMER
    REMANUFACTURED MASTER CYLINDERSWARRANTY
    3 YEAR / 36,000 MILE

not saying I'm bias :) I've been told that we just merged with a company down in you neck of the woods just recently.

21. hippy killer

hippy killer

i have good luck with everything i get from napa

22. just cross your fingers and purchase the brake parts local, much easier if their is a problem to have it taken care of.

23. zep058

zep058

Yeah I take a chance that everything works out, but parts here in Oz are stupid expensive, 3-4 times the cost of the US of A on something like this. Worse case scenario I can ship another and still be ahead.

I am going to go with a raybestos, probably made in china too but maybe there is an odd chance the QC is a bit better

24. jimbousman

jimbousman

You can go crazy with this whole who, what, when, where is it made thing. I trust the NAPA brand. Their name is on the product and they stand behind it. Plus if something goes wrong I can grab the guy by the ear, show him the problem, and he'll fix it. Can't do that on-line.

25. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I went to the Raybestos website and chose a cylinder that worked perfectly. However, I am not sure where it was made.

26. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

ZEP058 Anything special about the master you are looking for?

Anyone ever use Speedway's masters that have a stainless sleeve?

27. zep058

zep058

Not really MrForty, as I am shipping to OZ it's just looking at alternatives. I think I have settled on a raybestos via amazon with free local shipping, right price and should do the trick.

28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Rock Auto will usually list several brand choices you can run the part numbers in Amazon search and sometimes score a deal.

29. MrForty

MrForty
    from Tustin, CA

Hope the Raybestos works out. I understand they built their own plant in China. Hopefully the quality is good. I know they make disc rotors there. I'm not sure about the masters.

30. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I would not trust Autozone parts when it comes to brakes. They are fine for soaps, and waxes. Never mind the rest.