Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Build Thread: Introducing the Silver City Spl.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Aug 5, 2012.

1. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Nice progress headlights look good!

2. Here's a couple more shots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Sorry if the Image size is too large on those, I'll have to go find the sticky on posting images.

4. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

those look good, kev.

when i closed up the shop last night it felt like the roadster looked a lot more like a car with them on.

5. Carter

Carter

Just hunted this thread down after seeing pics of this wicked little T in Mel's thread.
    Really sweet roadster, man. Can't wait to see it in October on the beach.

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

removed the seat pan and the bump that curves into the cabin right at the small of your back. had to make room for (as Slick Willy called it yesterday) my giant viking ass (i think it was a compliment, at least, i choose to take it that way). gonna put a straight section of sheet metal in there, and then cut a flat plywood floor, and remount the seat pan on that in a manner in accordance with the needs of my viking-ness.

[​IMG]

mounted a single tail light in the middle on a license plate hanger. haven't decided whether to fill those existing holes, or put some tail lights in there. it had '42 Fords in there before, but those are a little too new for this effort. repro '39s fit in there too, but they're...well...repros. so i dunno. i'll stew on it.

[​IMG]

7. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Your roadster project is great. Should be a very good representation of a pre-War hot rod. I think it's quite interesting that you are using the Model A aprons. Never seen that done on a T before but the look works. In fact, with everything but the body being essentially Model A, it gives the impression that a guy bought a sedan or some other undesirable (at the time), chucked the body and screwed down a roadster body for an instant jalopy.

I'm glad I could be of help with your floor planning. I also think at your height that getting rid of the hump will help a lot. It's amazing what just a couple of inches can do for comfort!

I'll keep watching.

8. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Slick has said that about Marks "hump" and "couple of inches" more than once!!! :D

The roadsters lookin great, Mark!!

9. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

hey Mark, I got plywood floors that will fit your T if you want them.

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

you read my mind! it's 1938, your dad's old 29 fordor is sitting out beside the barn. he's been threatening to chop the back off it and make it a pickup truck. you've been bugging him to use it to make a jalopy, and finally he says that if you ACTUALLY do something with it this summer, you can have it. you've been saving your money from working at the grocer's since you graduated, so you have a little money to play with. and since going to college to study art like you dream of isn't really an option, and you're expected to go work at the stove factory in the fall, you are determined to have a little fun. so, you go hunting in the junk yard and find a 27T roadster body and drag it home. over the course of those last few weeks of freedom before factory life, you drag everything into the barn, and just before summer's end you fire up the jalopy and are rewarded for your efforts by flying around the park in the center of town until the cops chase you back out to your parents' farm by the airport where you continue to tear up the roads with that cool breeze of late summer freedom in your face.

or, something like that.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
    sko_ford likes this.
  11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

thanks Jared, that would be awesome.

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That "story" was real cool.. This is the stuff fantasies are made of.

13. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

LeadSledMerc is the thing my fantasies are made of....;)

Is the interior done yet??:D

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

hahaha. remember that conversation we had about weekends...? tomorrow is a new day.

15. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

This is what its all about, nice job.

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

thanks danny. i appreciate it.

17. Nice ride..............

18. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

19. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

Looks cool. That is also the nickname of my town. Thats how we came up with the Silvercity Shakedown. Hope to see it out soon.

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Thansk Derrick. I thought of the Shakedown when I named this. Figured we'd have a conversation about it at some point.

I hope to have it at the Alter Boys show in whatever condition it's in at that point.

21. Ultra kool radster man !!

Rat

22. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Look what I found today :)

Attached Files:

23. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

woohoo! thanks again Bill! can't wait to get it fired up!

24. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Man, loving this build! Hope to see it in Oct at the Race of Gentlemen!

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

With that care package from Bill and a good weekend's worth of work we should be able to come a long way towards being ready for the beach!

26. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Had a great day with lots of friends stopping by. Jared (Angry Frenchman) came by in the morning and he welded in the new bottom half of my back panel. I didnt get any pics of that before the seat went in. but it's all good. Then Kevin (Crazy Uncle Harry) came by and he and Jared and I bent up the pedals to work better with the T floors, and allow us to center the body on the frame.

Bill (Slick Willy) came by and we worked on building some subrails for the trunk area. Shoot I forgot to take pics of that stuff too. Sheesh, I told you I suck at build threads.

While Bill and I worked on that Becky and Moose (Moose) worked on the seat. Some time ago I found an old leather sofa by the side of the road. The leather is perfectly distressed and the perfect color of baseball glove brown. It looks awesome.

Here are some pics of the progress we made today.

headlights mounted on the finished stands:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heated pedals and shifter to make room for the Viking:

[​IMG]

And, the new leather seat:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ignition stuff shipped today, and should be here early next week, and I should be getting my windshield posts from Mikey (Cactus1) early in the week too.

Just need a few more things to wrap it up, the biggest hurdle to clear seems to be the windshield frame...

So there we are as of tonight. I'm a happy camper with some good pals.

Thanks all for a great, productive day.

27. gonzo

gonzo

Looks great sorry I couldn't stop by. Worked till 5 and figured I'd missed my window. Any luck with the trailer?

28. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

we worked til about 7 or 730 then ordered chinese and ate in the shop.

Kevin is probably going to RoG and said that he would pull a trailer with his truck. The only problem with that plan is that we wouldn't be leaving til several hours after the rest of us, and would be headed home Saturday night. So I'd have to drive something else down there too. It is a good fall back plan, but I'd like something a little more convenient. So we'll see.

I was thinking about renting a small box truck. I could back it into the side of the hill out back and roll the roadster right on, and assuming there was something similar down there, it might work.

I dunno.

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Roadster's looking great.. That bench seat sure looks comfy.