Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I should've started this thread a while ago , but better late than never - LOL !!

A little preface for those who don't know , I have a '49 Ford Custom Club Coupe that will be (when finished) a mild custom . I got the car with no motor , and I intend to drive it daily , so it's getting a 302/C4 combo - eventually a T5 tranny will be installed , as I love to shift gears . I've already lowered it with Aerostar springs up front & 3" blocks in the back - it'll sit nice . I have some Foxcraft cut-down Merc skirts for it , and the plan right now is that it'll eventually be running '55 Chevy BelAir sidetrim with the paint dividers down , two-toned in the back . Till I find the pieces I need , it'll be runnning the stock rear 1/4 trim with the fender short-spears on the doors - should look cool . Right now , I'm looking at painting it the original dark blue metallic color , but that could change till it's done ... you know how that goes ;) . Well - on with the show !

I started my metalwork by shaving the trunklid . I did a How-To on it a while back , if you missed it , you can see it here :

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560415&highlight=trunk

A few months ago , I did an old-school french on the taillights (i.e. no tunneling buckets) . I shot a few pics along the way to share with anyone interested .

Here's the original taillight , as you guys know

[​IMG]

I made a 1/4" steel buck ,

[​IMG]

bent some roundbar around it ,

[​IMG]

put a little peak on it , to give it some visual interest ,

[​IMG]

and here's what it'll eventually look like :

[​IMG]

Here's a little preview of it's new look :

[​IMG]

I cut the center out of the original taillight panel , so the housing can come in from the backside :

[​IMG]

I tacked the new lip in place

[​IMG]

holding the new lens in behind for a look

[​IMG]

and welded it up . It'll get all leaded-up to finish it off right .

[​IMG]

It's new look !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  2. off-beat

off-beat

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

4. Looks good. I've got a shoebox. I'm not customizing it like you, but it will be a radical custom. It's a 4-Door 1950 that I'll turn into a 2-Door 1949. Major facelift, but radical none-the-less. I've got most of the original Ford parts. Still need some more before I can get to my goal. Keep up the good work.

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats a good start,looks nice!

6. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

Not bad keep on building

Nice pics

/Stefan

7. bigfive

bigfive
    from south L.A.

Looking good! Gotta love box coupes!

8. jerseymike

jerseymike

hey allen, great to see you finally getting round to your own car! taillights look good. much different look than the frenching kits they sell. keep this thing going!

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Where did you get the lenses?
    They doesnt look like an OEM stuff for my eyes..

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys . I like the look of this style so much better than the tunneling buckets - more old school style too . I even bought the buckets & ended up not using them - we'll use them on my friend Craig's custom .
    I have a bunch more pics to post , some repair stuff - some custom stuff , so keep your eyes peeled .

Finnrodder - The lenses are Lee Lenses ( www.leelenses.com ) . Even with stock chrome bezels , they look cool . I got mine through Wirth's Customs ( www.wirthscustomauto.com ) , but they're available all over the web .

11. Looks great. Nice work.

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks!

I've seen Lee lenses before,but i dont know why i didnt recognize them at this time.They look really good,i think i'll get a pair of them too.

13. Skirv

Skirv

That tail light treatment looks really nice BP.

14. sawzall

sawzall

You guys must be breeding SHOEBOXES up there!
    love the taillight treatment.. hope to see this car out and about soon..

15. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

What???? No blue dots??? Come on, Allen......you can do it......

I like the approach a lot......I had to use the buckets because I am an uncreative lamer and I don't cut metal so good......

CB

16. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

17. legend544

legend544

Looking good Al,after racings over,lets get going on it hard,Craig

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks !

Go for it - they'll look cool on your ride .

I hope so too !!

LOL !!
    No blue dots here . I do like 'em , and you can buy original-style lenses w/blue dots already in 'em (you know that already ;) ) , but Lee lenses were the way to go this time .

Yea , I need to make some more progress . Soon time to DRIVE yours !

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well , I've got some more update pics for you guys .

See this ugly seam up on top of the rear quarters ??

[​IMG]

I got rid of it the old fashioned way ... with a WOOD CHISEL !! Don't worry , I learned this trick here on the HAMB . I won't tell my old shop teacher ;)

[​IMG]

I had to get rid of a bit of lead

[​IMG]

I tack welded it up & back

[​IMG]

I took my time , skipping here & there until it was welded solid (probably overkill , IMHO) . I ground it smooth (sorry , no pics of that for some reason - I'll shoot a couple) , and it will eventually get a pass of lead to finish it off . I repeated the procedure for the seams under the taillights . Another small mod that will have people scratching their heads as to what's different .

More updates to come !!

20. sawzall

sawzall

BUDDY.. I am a shop teacher.. and your defiling that WOOD chisel!!

21. Planning to go this way on my rear fenders as well. That seam is not the prettiest thing on the car as to say.. Will keep an eye on this thread!

22. davo461

davo461

I have a Swedish 'Berg' wood chisel that I abuse all the time! You would never know, to look at it.
    Love the subtle custom features.

Spoggie likes this.
  23. this from a guy who cuts tree limbs/branches off with a sawzall :p

afaulk likes this.
  24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Don't worry - I went to my favorite "disposable tool" store (Harbor Freight) and got a new chisel just for this job . I didn't want to use my good stuff for this ;) .

Good - I'm not the only one , lol !!

It's an easy mod - go for it .

25. Koz

Koz

Lookin' good! You need to section this one since Jerry won't do his. Keep pounding I can't wait to see this one in paint. It's kind of rare to see anybody lead anymore and I'd love to see you do it since I'm basicly self taught. Post up!

26. Nice work. I see what Finnrodder is talking about with those taillights. Most are too "tunneled", but these are nice and subtle. Very cool, can't wait to see updates.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks Koz - no section , no chop for this ride . If I get into that , it'll never get done , and I wanna drive this sucker ! Maybe I'll do a leadwork photoshoot ...

I agree , most are way too tunneled . Old-school all the way ! More updates to come .

I was over at my friend Craig's house last night working on his Shoebox , so I shot some pics of my ride that were missing from my last update (above) .

Here's a shot looking towards the taillight area , seam welded up , ground & ready for lead ...

[​IMG]

Looking forward from the taillight ...

[​IMG]

and the seams under the taillight & under the trunk opening ready for lead .

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more updates !!!

28. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The rear quarters both had just a bit of rust over the wheel arches , so I cut them open & they both looked a bit like this :

[​IMG]

So I hand-formed some patches . They're not just flat , they have a rib that starts about 1/3 of the way from the front of the arch , and extends back . I couldn't just throw a flat patch in there , so that made more work for me ;) . It certainly could've been much worse though . Here's what the patches turned out like :

PS :

[​IMG]

DS :

[​IMG]

And here's my outer patches I made - welded on & ready for lead

PS :

[​IMG]

DS :

[​IMG]

I'm itchin' to get going on some more custom work !

29. Nice work...hey, when you're doing your wiring, don't leave the brake lights on very long with those lee lenses...they'll melt! Don't ask me how I know...had to buy my buddy a new pair..doh!

30. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Well I hope I don't have THAT issue - that would suck :( ! I can't imagine that the parking light side of the bulb would be hot enough to melt the lens ... is it ?? I could see the brake light side of the bulb maybe chuckin' off the heat though . Maybe I'll have to run LED bulbs if they seem to get too hot . Food for thought , no doubt .