Register now to get rid of these ads!

Grainger-how do you buy if not a business?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Aug 3, 2011.

1. 5window

5window

Like it says in the title. I need to order some stuff,and I can get a Farm Bureau discount, but I'm not officially a business. So what do you private individuals do?

2. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

I just walk in and buy what I want.

turboroadster and upspirate like this.
  3. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Give them a call.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

For me its a retiree perk from where I worked, maybe a Hamb person near you that has an "in" can help you out.. ..Mc Master-Carr will sell to anyone [internet or phone]but don't know if you can get any type of farm discount...Has to be Graingers for something specific?

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Don't you know anybody who's in business? Either use their name or have them order it for you. In my case, I walked in the local Grainger's and asked for an item and the clerk asked who it was for-I replied "me". He asked if I was a business and I said "no, only monkey business". He looked in the computer and suggested that I was "Dodd's Town House"-a defunct restaurant here in town. I said , "that'll work" and the transaction was completed.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

Grainger has the advantage of that gi-hugic catalog and the availability of lots of hard-to-find stuff. Only disadvantage is that hardly anything is bargain priced. Just do what Stude-sled said above...walk-in like you know what you're doing and buy the stuff. PAY the sales tax, just like buying from Sears. Just be nice, with a friendly attitude. They CAN NOT eat you. DD

czuch and Darkharts like this.
  7. Racewriter

Racewriter

I've ordered off the website as a private individual.

8. Yup, anytime I wanted something years ago, I had to go through a contractor friend of mine. Nice to know they take cash from anyone!

Bob

9. Uptown83

Uptown83

I use grainger where i work and i use to just call and order what ever i needed. Now i call a out of store salesman to order and its wayyy wayy cheaper than just calling and getting book price. I saved like 100 bucks on a 350 dollar order.

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You are a business, a farm is a business. 5 Window Farms. You still pay tax so you just fill out the form. Improvise.

Truck64 likes this.
  11. " You can get more accomplished with a gun and a smile, than with a smile alone ", Al Capone

czuch likes this.
  12. firingorder1

firingorder1

Yup. Times are hard and they ain't cheap so they've become a lot less fussy who they take cash from. Just walk right in.

13. timmy25252

timmy25252

You can buy as an individual with Fastenal through the website or the store. If need be you can fill out quick paper work to create an accout just using your name or the farm to use your farm discount.

Tin Lizzie likes this.
  14. metalshapes

metalshapes

I dont.

I've been in the Tucson store a couple of times, and I didnt like the condescending attitude of the counter personel.

I'm able to find what I need without spending my money there...

bct likes this.
  15. I was in my local Fastenal store the other day. First time in years. They used to be difficult to deal with on small orders. "I can't sell you one but I can sell you a box of 100." This time they were more flexible. I think it has something to do with the economy. A sale is a sale. I suspect Granger is feeling the pinch as well.

For most of my orders I use McMaster Carr. Good web site and shipping is billed at actual cost.

16. ironpile

ironpile

I needed 12 allen head bolts at a Fastenal store,they said they only sell boxes of 100,so the guy gave me 12 and sent me on my way.I bought some sanding discs just to show my gratitude. A good attitude helps a lot when dealing with good people.

TagMan, Truck64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

What were the assh***s thinking? A sale is a sale. Terrible attitude and I wonder if part of that attitude is why our local Grainger store in Decatur Illinois shut it's doors a couple of years ago.

18. 5window

5window

Thanks, guys. The FB discount is 10%+ and free shipping. There's one 60 miles away in Harrisburg where I'll be in 10 days, plus one in CT where I'll be tomorrow-I'm going to try to just walk in. I can use my business address-even though I'm not the owner anymore (long story) or the farm.

What I need are some SS button head cap screws and some brass 90 degree hose barbs-looked all over in my area-no luck-we do have nice sunsets and lightning bugs, though.

19. williebill

williebill

When I call the Grainger that's about 30 miles from me,the cute sounding girl gets my name off of caller ID,answers my questions,takes my order,thanks me,and hangs up.I don't tell her who I am,how to bill,anything.They ship UPS,I get it the next day,they put it on my credit card.
    What makes this exceptional service,IMHO,is that I've been in the store once in 5 years,bought about $40 worth of USA taps,and they put me in their system.....
    Kinda scary...
    I'd really like to tell them who I am when I call,but they never ask....

I do have a legit business,but I don't think it matters anymore.
    I like 'em

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

McMaster is better anyway, and they sell to anyone.

21. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

chopolds beat me to it...everything I need from Grainger I get from McMaster. It's wierd cause grainger is 1/2 a miles away, but I prefer McMaster-Carr.

22. derbydad276

derbydad276

buy your stuff from a local mom and pop type shop! help keep them in business

http://www.the350project.net/home.html

in the detroit are we are suffering beacuse we keep sending our money out of town

23. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

I have ordered on-line from them with a credit card and they shipped it to me at the house, I mostly use Mc Master Carr basically the same stuff/products....

24. darkk

darkk

I made up a business name about 20 years ago for just this reason. No one has ever questioned it. If they ask for a tax ID # I tell them we just pay the taxes up front to avoid extra paperwork at tax time. If they need anything on a company letterhead, I just print one up...God! I love computers!

25. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I work for company simliar to grainger(Wesco) and the only reason we ask for a company name is for payment or special pricing, if you need anything shoot email a email and I could have it sent direct to you
    [email protected]

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  26. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think a lot of companies are relaxing their policies these days to keep sales up. Our local Grainger used to be commercial only, but now will sell retail too. Another bolt supplier, Florida Tool and Fastener, used to have a $10 minimum order (no problem, I'd buy the ones I needed and toss some 3/8 bolts on the order to make $10...........always can use bolts) but the last time I was in there they did away with the minimum.

It's funny how some businesses that had their noses up in the air and firm policies are now very friendly and accomodating. I guess there are some upsides to a slow economy. :D I love it when a business that used to treat you like crap now suddenly throws out the welcome mat and actually smiles when you walk in the door.

Don

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kept my ID card from when I was a Ford supplier employee. I always use it at Grainger for my stuff and I get 15%. Here's the thing though, if you treat the counter worker like you've know him/her forever and ask for a better deal yet, you'll get it. It saved me a shit load of $$$ on my 10hp single phase compressor motor. Grainger list was like $750+tax. I got it for $599+tax. Substantial savings, yes? Just ask. It's not their inventory and there's discount scales in the 'puter. The worker doesn't set the price and they're there to sell shit. Like said above, they don't bite.

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

I feel uncomfortable in their stores,like how I used to feel in auto parts stores years ago when a walk in customer was a piece of shit.
    As an electrical contractor I prefer to use local wholesale supply houses.

29. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Granger opened up to United Air Lines employees some years ago. That extended to retired UAL employees. So if you phone and they ask tell them you are retired from United

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was doing the parts purchasing for a fruit juice plant a few years I averaged probably 500 dollars worth of business a week with Grainger but didn't need anything for myself at that time. One of the best things about ordering from them is that if the store you order from doesn't have the whole order they will ship what that store is short on from another store.
    If a guy has their catalog and a McMaster Catalog he can just about figure out if any hardware type item he might want exists.

McMaster Carr also has just about any size of piano hinge you might want for a project including stainless.

For bolts for myself I find that the local ag supply store and the local machine shop have the best deals. And the local Ace has a nice supply of stainless now.