Register now to get rid of these ads!

The New Little Pages

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. RF

RF

So just who is that we're supposedly joining? And for that sake, who are we trying to beat? Not bashing you, just curious what your basis for that statement is. I've noticed quite a few references to the Hot Rod/Hot Rod Deluxe scenario, which on the surface is similar to what we've done in some ways, but the rationale is not. Hot Rod provided an outlet for accessing and bringing its massive archives (along with R&C's, I might add) back to life in print. R&C's current format already allows that on a more widespread/regular basis. The Little Pages was simply an opportunity bestowed from above (believe it or not, the initial push came from upper management, but we pee-ons took the push and ran with it) to revisit the smaller format in a somewhat modern way, which I think we did. The content is 100% mine and Aaron's decision, as is the layout and design--there was no corporate model used, and for that matter, no official gameplan other than, "make a cool little magazine."

There's definitely more irony to this whole deal than Ryan mentioned, that's for sure.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

got mine yesterday. good stuff.

3. CHOP36

CHOP36

4. They tried doing the same here, although they did not put their price sticker on it. I asked the cashier to give me the 5.99 price and she did.

5. Abomination

Abomination

Holy shit! That's awesome!!

Double Holy Shit! That's even more awesome!!!

Knowing these little tidbits just might get you guys cannonized for Hot Rod Sainthood, guys.

~Jason

6. Spike!

Spike!

Thanks Ryan.

Spike
    PS- I'm waiting for my free little paged R&C.. maybe in vain... hahaha

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

It looks beautiful, I can't wait to get a copy, I like holding things.

8. autobilly

autobilly

RF, by "their" I'm refering to the upper-management that you mention and as I said, It's lucky for them they have guys like you and Aaron on-board. They are 'joining' the Darkside.:D
    Below is the full quote, with this in mind please read it again.:)

"I'm sure that their rationale is along the lines of "If ya can't beet 'em, join 'em" and cash in along the way. It's just lucky for the Janets that they have the right people on hand to pull it off properly. That said, I agree that anything of quality along these lines is good for us all. I'll be looking out for a copy."

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

have not located the R&C little pages yet. I do really like the stuff in the big pages of R&C, especially the features on the Old Timers that helped start things. Freiburger and gang have done well with Hot Rod DELUXE, etc. There are so many mags out there it is hard to be 100% devoted to any one because of the variety offered. I accept the ads because the overhead can not be covered by just sales across the counter. It is like the number of wineries out here in the West-do not not know how they all survive.
    To all the produce the car magazines I send out a big Thanks, otherwise I would be lost in the universe of the internet.

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Michigan-area guys might like to know that Meijer stores are carrying the little pages. That's where I picked up my copy this afternoon.

-Dave

11. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Just got my copy today, excellent work Aaron & Rob!!
    It was nice to see my name mentioned in the Craigslist Roadster article, thanks AJ!

12. ...and it also means stuff becomes yesterday's news real quick (only takes a day, in fact ;) )

At least with a magazine, your shit is in there for a whole month. :)

13. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hoping to find a copy tomorrow.

14. K. Thornton

K. Thornton

Haven't found a copy yet.

15. Got mine as a gift today! Love the article on the "old looking" T. What a fooler! And built be a youngin..... Double cool! Nice work guys!!!!!

16. kustomriv

kustomriv

Hi

Great pocket magazine. It was nice to buy a pocket magazine in a store. I got mine today in walmart .

Tim

17. ravedodger

ravedodger

I read Ryan's post Sunday evening and made a small mental note about keeping an eye out for The Little Pages. Last night I just so happened to find myself at the grocery store and, amazingly enough, I remembered to look for it. Right in front of my face, there it was!
    Today, I took it to my desk at work and snuck in a few small reads and did lots of oogling. The new Little Pages is off the charts in quality, IMO. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I laughed while noting the printed "worn" edges and binding since it's actually covered in card stock. These little pages should last years longer than the older version. The photography is great. Just wow. THe only problem I have is that it's just too pretty to shove in my back pocket.

One question: Is it only proposed to be an annual edition as noted on the front top right corner? If, so I'm a little disappointed. I also noted that the subscription insert isn't for The Little Pages, but rather Rod & Custom. Bummer.

I hope you guys do well with it. I will buy it every chance I get.

18. ravedodger

ravedodger

Found mine at Vons.

19. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

You're welcome Ed, old buddy! You were 'there' when it happened.

20. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Thanks but all I did was talk you into buying something you couldn't afford but, what are friends for!!

21. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

Rob, Aaron and Tim, can't thank you guys enough for this little mag!!! First run features on cars I've read about here and there, excellant photography, print that doesn't strain these old eyes! I'm allready trying to guess who's car will be in the next, and I certainly think there will be another!!!!

22. Chad they had them at this place this past weekend:

City Newsstand

[​IMG]4018 N Cicero Ave

Chicago, IL 60641
    Neighborhood: Portage Park

23. autobilly

autobilly

I always enjoy your "shit" too man.

24. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

i bought one this weekend at a vons in big bear of all places. my only qualm was that every single one they had on the shelf had a crease in the cover. not a crease like someone put one there by hand but like a fold that was put there by a machine.

it's almost as if it's meant to be bent there. it isn't, is it?

25. All the ones I saw were Smooooth!

26. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

You are not the only one! I've bought about ten copies all around LA & Burbank (click my link below to find out why), and every one has a slit/fold line in the cover. Everybody's asked why it was like that. I have to assume its a defect by the printing house??? Only is So. Cal. I'm guessing.

27. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Mine is like that too. It has to be a defect.

28. RF

RF

The "defects" need to be replaced, period. PM me if you've purchased a creased copy.

29. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

could it have been from how they were bundled? sometimes they get smashed by that plastic strap thing used for shipping.

dv

30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I bought one last night with the crease. It looks great! And even better, I noticed on a competitor's mag, that we had a car on the cover! I had know idea, but that was quite the pleasant surprise!! :D

Aaron and Rob, I think you did a killer job on this. I love it. Maybe if you work this right, this could be the Hop Up replacement that we all so dearly miss. And Aaron, you should make Keith bring you to the Pileup. I'll buy you a beer and we can geek out on design with Coby. :D