Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Reckon their moms & dads were bustin' with pride when their
    daughters got home? "Hey, mom, dad! I'm MISS LUBE RACK!"

[​IMG]
    "Bachelor #5, what do YOU like to do on your day off?"

[​IMG]
    Honest, will this look good on her resume?

[​IMG]
    For the rest of her life, MISS AUTO ACCESSORY just felt tacky
    (BUT, she had a great career at J.C. Whitney!!!)

2. 76cam

76cam

These are just awsome!!!! Sure does help you no how stock looked like.

3. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

4. some of my photos!

5. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yo, SouthPaw! From one lefty to another, bro, this is an hilarious case of art imitating real life -- if inadvertently! Though I never knew full-auto carwashes existed in '47, the two gals having some fun with the air dryer killed me.

This was a full eight years before Marilyn Monroe did something similar for the comedy "The 7 Year Itch" with Tom Ewell as the shmo whose wife is away for the weekend! In one of the most famous Monroe scenes in history, the subway rush blows Marilyn's skirt up, as a admiring Ewell looks on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The 7 Year Itch" with Tom Ewell and Marilyn Monroe. 20th Century
    Fox / Everett Collection, THANKS to the New York Times

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

And another one for the Jayne Mansfield Fan Club!

[​IMG]

Tom Ewell and Jayne Mansfield in "The Girl Can't Help It," 1956.
    Ewell earned a Tony and a Golden Globe, usually playing the hapless
    schmuck always in the wrong place, wrong time!

7. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

1st pic:Vernon Evans (with his family) of Lemmon, South Dakota, near Missoula, Montana, on Highway 10. July 1936. Leaving grasshopper-ridden and drought- stricken area for a new start in Oregon or Washington. Expects to arrive at Yakima in time for hop picking. Lives in tent (interview). Makes about two hundred miles a day in Model T. View full size. Photograph by Arthur Rothstein.
    2nd September 1940. "At the fair, Pie Town, New Mexico." An old coupe with rumble seat. What kind of car is this? Kodachrome by Russell Lee
    3rd Filling station and garage at Pie Town, New Mexico. Photograph by Russell Lee. September 1940. Original owner sold pies, hence the name 'Pie Town. Wikipedia says that person was Clyde Norman, who started a dehydrated apple business there in the 1920s. Pie Town hosts a Pie Festival in the fall; photographer Lee took dozens of pictures of the 1940 rodeo and barbecue.
    4th November 1938. Truck carrying movie poster. Omaha, Nebraska

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

13. This is without a doubt the best and biggest thread ever on the HAMB with over 560 pages and 2.1 million views! There is only one thing that would make it better and that is for guys like lewislynn that feel the constant need to criticize what others post while they never contribute any pictures to the thread. I'm in complete agreement with jimi'shemi291 and Flatheadguy's about your comments. Especially when you quote and the entire post with the pics and it is repeated again. As I said once before, why don't you contribute some some pics to the thread instead of cluttering it up with your running commentary? Its not that hard to do and you'll have even more fun looking for cool stuff to post, and the thousands of HAMBers that follow this thread will enjoy it even more.

Here's some pics I posted on another thread but they are worth adding to this thread too!

The first two are of Karl and Veda Orr's '32 towing the lakester, their speed shop and one of Veda with the '32 set up for oval racing.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From The Fastest '32 Fords</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From The Fastest '32 Fords</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
    Rocket88NZ likes this.
  14. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Seal Rocks from Sutro Heights. San Francisco.

[​IMG]

15. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

Washington, D.C., circa 1926. Washington Cadillac Co. A glossy new Cadillac in front of Barker Lumber, your headquarters for newels, balusters and "hot bed sash" ??

16. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

December 1940. Itinerant preacher from South Carolina saving souls of construction workers at Camp Livingston job near Alexandria, Louisiana

17. Aerial view Lions Drag Strip, Wilmington, CA.
    [​IMG]
    Contributed by a HAMB member (sorry I forgot your name).

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

19. Mart

Mart

Novadude: post 11215.
    The colour shots are great - so vivid.
    Others ain't shabby either - good to get the story behind the pics.
    Mart.

20. bigalow49chop truck

bigalow49chop truck

more more pictures love them

21. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

another aerial of Lions, looking south....

[​IMG]

22. I have a bunch of photos....Let me run them by Lewislynn before I post them O.K.....

23. biscaynes

biscaynes

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

The late Tony Curtis (foreground) in "The Great Race" movie from 1965

[​IMG]

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  25. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I remember someone brought the Hannibal 8/Prof. Fate car to our High school parking lot (1977 or so). The guy let me sit in it. Years later at a car show in Ventura during setup I got to sit in the Leslie Special.

26. 4tl8ford

4tl8ford
    from Erie, Pa

27. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

OK, smartass.......BUSTED!!!! hahahahaha...................:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  28. that is an old shot of Lions (Lions 1955?), No "Spectator" Side Stands, No push stard staging lanes, No Bridge!!

Thanks for posting...

29. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

that was opening day...Oct., '55

30. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

1921. "Margaret Gorman in Birmingham car." Whose reptilian body has an alligator finish. In 1921 Margaret was both the first Miss Washington, D.C., and the first Miss America

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.