Register now to get rid of these ads!

Resurrecting a Vintage Fiat Topolino drag car built in 1964

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by INLAW MODEL A, Apr 7, 2008.

1. krooser

krooser

The Fiat will be at the Symco Shakedown this August... too cool!

2. oldmuleskinner

oldmuleskinner
    from CHICAGO

Unfortunatly those pics came of a guys site that no longer is up. On top of that they started off small. I do beliver you can see the chute box is the same if you look close. try looking up Norb Locke I think they came of his old site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  3. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Great history:):):)!
    Very coool car:):):)!

Happy easter!
    You don`t need a book when you have the HAMB!

Taildragger&fenderless

4. I am sure it is not the same car. The car in the pictures has a drivers side door, and the front wheel arch stops before the body. Still very cool and I appreciate the help!!

5. I am currently in the process of putting the original race engine from the Fiat together to put back into the car. Along with the car I got the original race 301 engine that was complete but in poor shape. Mice moved into the engine block and it was full of mouse nest. The 1962 283 block was already bored out to the max so we just honed it. The 301 pistons were usable but I had to have them knurled to fit. The crank was turned .020 & .020 and I bought new eagle h-beam rods. The rotating assembly is fresh from being balanced. We had to add 3 pieces of mallory metal to the crank to make up for the heavy h-beam rods compared to the aluminum Iskederians that were in it. Big weight difference there I'll tell you. The next step is to assemble the short block and then do the heads. They are double hump 461's and we will run 2.02 and 1.6 valves. Tight fit in the 52 cc chambers. The cam will be a big solid lifter one. Not sure on the specs yet. We guess the horsepower at the crank will be 350-375.
    I ran the car and my fast time was 11.4 @ 112 mph. The car weighs around 1400 pounds. When I use the e.t calculater that comes up with 180 horsepower which is close. I was running a junkyard 350 with 8.5:1 compression on 7 cylinders! When I use 350 horsepower, I calculate a 9.74 e.t. That would be a handfull!
    Here are some current pictures taken in my buddy's dyno shop where the engine is now. Here is a link to his website. http://www.doneriteautomotive.com/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  6. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

when will you have it back together and ready for the strip?

7. Hi Bob, I should, I finally got rid of some projects so I might have some Fiat time. I saw the bluestreaks, but I need 15". Eric (Falfasnightmare) says he has some with my name on them. M/T et drags. They will work for now.

8. Well slow but surely I have been working on the Fiat again. Today I made a water filler for the Hilborn manifold so I can pressurize the block and add an overflow for the track. Last week I buttoned up the short block for the 301 and now I need to do the heads. I recently tracked down the pieces to install the Sun tach. I needed a eb37-a mag transmitter and finally found one along with the tach bracket. I just reinstalled the rear axle and now I am going through the Airheart disc brake calipers. Oh and I finally found the correct shifter that was in the car. The problem I am having is that back in the 1980's some kids decided to steal a bunch of stuff from the car while Mike, the previous owner, had it instorage. The police got alot of it back, but not everything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

10. Well I finally got the original engine back together. It is the same 301 from 1968. I had to change the a few things that were problems but nothing major. I am running a 30/30 solid cam with .485" lift and 254 deg duration @ .050". The compression is around 12:1 or a bit less. We are running it on E85. I have a few more bugs to work out yet.

Here is a short video. The sound on the camera does not do it justice. See for yourself.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISIY5wyp_8A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISIY5wyp_8A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

fix it again, tony. LOVE the direction you have taken. Am I the only fan?

Will you have the Fiat at Back to the 50's?

12. Its nice to see that you have saved this cars history by not doing to many updates. You have a real time capsule there.

13. No I am taking the model A. Maybe next time.

Oh by the way Bob, since I too am running E85, can I call the Topolino the corn fed mouse? And aren't elephants scared of mice?

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I thought the mouse pulled the thorn from the elephant's foot? See you at B250's

15. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

WOW! Very cool car and great story! I love those old Fiats.

16. very nice !

17. AHotRod

AHotRod

18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

now that is bitchin' !!
    also like the bantam altered with the pontiac engine.. that's different !!

19. Well I finally got the Fiat running again. I got the heads too hot during the last break in run and seized 3 exhaust valves in the guides. I reamed the guides to .343" and put in 4 new exhaust valves. I also put in a set of push rods and keepers. So here is my test run after getting it kind of tuned. It still needs some fine tuning but it runs.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIUg41lgH-A&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wIUg41lgH-A&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. I stopped by Mike Gish today and dropped of some pictures for him. He said he had the aluminum slots off the Topo in the garage and I could have them if I could find them. Well needless to say that after about 6 laps I could only find one. He said the other is there and it will show up.
    I did spy this though!
    [​IMG]
    My wife said what is that? and your not bringing that home I hope!
    Well I knew when I saw it that it was the tool tray for the Hilborn.
    [​IMG]
    It is homemade, but still it belongs with the car. Anyone else would have tossed it. It is very cool and it is in the video I have. Mike said he was happy I was doing what I am doing with the car and he could see I was having fun with it.

21. krooser

krooser

See you at the Shakedown... can't wait to have you DRIVE the car in the show!

22. jangleguy

jangleguy

Congrats on getting it going! I love this thing...

23. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

I love the car and what your doing with it.

24. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you found another gem!!! Congrats, Paul

25. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Wow! I don't know what else to say. Congrats on what you are doing with it!

26. Thanks for all the positive feedback. We are having a blast with it. I am pretty sure that Karma would not be happy with me if I did not preserve it, race it, and do what I am doing with it.

27. I finallly got to make a few runs on my buddy's dyno. 4 to be exact. I still need to add some fuel on the top end. I runs lean after 5500 rpm. I made about 290 horse at the tires with a 20% loss through the drive train and tires. It should be around 400 horse at the crank when we can rev it up all the way. Here it is:
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SLZ4lqhhqzA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SLZ4lqhhqzA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

28. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

looks like fun, Paul. I didn't like the guy standing in front of the car...safety?
    Did you get your slicks on?

29. Hey Bob, That guy is Ed, he is the owner. He knows what he is doing. He is careful and ties down the cars very well, but I do see your point. The slicks are on the car in the video. I got a fire suit and new harnesses the other day so I should be ready to run. Will you be @ Da'Grove on August 9th? I sent my dues to Bob at Midwest Gassers but have not heard back from him yet.