Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage CRANE SBC heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by al_inbancroft, Apr 7, 2009.

1. al_inbancroft

al_inbancroft

Hi Everyone,
    Does anyone have any pics or info on theese? A freind of mine used to runs theese onhis roller 302 D/gas 5 chevy back in the day.

Were they made by Crane?, or someone else for Crane? Any info would be apreciated.
    Regards.
    Al

2. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have some old ad's for Crane Fireball heads. They were ported 292 'turbo' heads according to the ads.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think there were several generations...they ported whatever head was the current hot choice from Chevy at the time

4. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Info from Jim Hill (longtime Crane employee):

"The "292" heads were also referred to as "Turbo Heads" by many. They were of the angled spark plug design, and used the then-new, "peanut plugs", which were considerably smaller than the old style plugs. These heads came from GM with 2.02" intakes and 1.60" exhausts. I'm stretching my memory here, but I seem to remember they were also equipped with screw-in studs (3/8" diameter) and pushrod guideplates, and had 72cc combustion chambers.

The Turbo heads were a considerable upgrade from the 461 or 461X head castings and out of the box, untouched, made better power than modestly ported 461 castings.

Crane Cams sold these with a mild chamber rework, intakes and exhausts opened up to gasket size, 3-angle valve job and a valve spring and retainer upgrade to Crane stuff for roller or flat-tappet cam. They were marketed as "FireBall Heads", and Crane literally sold thousands of sets of these because they were reasonably priced and made really good power when matched with the correct cam, valve train and intake system.

They could also be ordered with deck surface milling, to reduce chamber size and increase static compression ratio, another guaranteed power-adder, via the head surfacing mill.

GM did their homework on these castings by increasing the quality as well as the amount of molten cast iron alloy poured to create these. The added material made the heads stronger and more resistant to cracking, a problem that plagues late model, cast iron small-block Chevy heads, especially those of the late 70's and 80's emissions equipped engines."

-Jim Hill

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

They were neat heads...I found a set in the junkyard once, very noticeable because of the screw in studs, better than stock rim for valve cover, slanted plugs...I think also no heat crossover? The junkyard guys were always interested in what I picke out, and demanded a short lecture on why I had picked out THAT set. Never looked them over closely. They had been worked on considerably...would they be marked if they were Crane ones??

6. jchav62

jchav62

Very interesting stuff. What years were the "292" heads produced by GM?

7. blownonfuel

blownonfuel

Early to late 70s? I think they were fased out in the 80s by the cast iron Bowtie head which you can still buy. If my memory is correct the turbo castings had a problem with cracking.

8. hotrawd

hotrawd
    from lima,ohio

I ran a pair of Crane heads on my smallblock gasser in the early '70's. They were 461 castings. The ports were opened up quite a bit,they had screw-in studs, and were cut for big valve springs. I don't know if they ever saw a flow bench but they seemed to work pretty well (I won a lot of races). By about 1973 they were obsolete.

9. RacerRick

RacerRick

292's have no heat crossover and the last book I have that mentions them as being the hot setup was printed in 1980.

The ones in the books I have all have CRANE stamped in the ends of the heads.

10. al_inbancroft

al_inbancroft

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I take it now theese are the old angle-plug heads I can remember reading about/etc years ago.
    Keep the history alive.
    Regards.
    Al

11. I gotta go back and look again...

My boss bought a set new to run on the 327 in his '39 Chevy coupe. During a regular Saturday afternoon street race gathering in front of the shop, his then-employee missed a shift, over-revved, and snapped a valve. Wiped one head. The pair is still in the back room.

I pulled one out recently, I thought I remembered it being a 462 casting, and straight plug. Like I said, gotta go back and look again. Later on, it's my intention to flowbench and measure the good head, and attempt to match it, to complete the pair.

12. yekoms

yekoms

Crane did small block Ford heads also. Yes they were stamped with Crane in a semi circle like a frown. The big tell tale sign from the outside of the Crane heads was the perfectly round exhaust ports. The combustion chambers look like they were done on a milling machine because the radius look to consistant to be done by hand.
    Smokey

13. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------------
    If the junkyard guy happened to notice the word Crane"
    stamped on the heads and questioned you on that, I
    suppose you could have told him that they were "just
    some old Chevy industrial heads....you know....from an
    industrial engine...used in a crane
    "!!! <LOL> :D
    mart
    =======================================

14. alleyoop392

alleyoop392

I have a set if someone "really" needs a set. I think around 1970's

15. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Jim Hill is a pretty modest guy & knows of what he speaks, didnt even mention his national record holding and Indy class winning O'Connell, Hill & Busshart F/Gas 57 Chevy {late 60s, early 70s}. If you ran at Miami/Hollywood back then you better have your stuff together at eliminations time, they were a tough crowd

loudbang likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

We gotta see these!!!!! How about posting some pictures please?????
    Thanks a bunch!!!!! :):cool:

17. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I had a set....they were stamped Crane on the ends. Sold them on Ebay..even as cores they were worth a pretty penny...

18. I ran a pair on my 289 E/Gas Mustang, They were a set of ported Ford HIPO heads with round ports , They had Chev intake valves and good springs. I bought these in about 69 or early 70. I remember the cost was $514 for the pair.

loudbang likes this.
  19. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I'll second that! I want to see the stamping!

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

We ran a set on our G/Gas car in 1975 on a 302 block with Brooks rods and pistons and all crane valve train. We used to run the tall clear valve covers so we could check for water in the oil between rounds as they were cut so much for big valve springs they would leak around the spring pockets.
    We finally epoxied some shims to the heads to keep the heads from leaking and getting water in the oil.
    They were angle plug heads and allowed our low buck combo to run under the NHRA index in the 1/8 th mile. I still remember going to Owensboro every Friday night. Even won a race there in the tough modified eliminator program.

21. alleyoop392

alleyoop392

Attached Files:

22. David Thomas

David Thomas

Crane fireball head.jpg This is the stamp on my set.

72yenkonova likes this.