Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1955 Chevy Gasser ... White Lightnin

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Searcher, Nov 2, 2008.

1. outlaw57

outlaw57

this is how i'm setting my 57 gasser and 60 elco up! love this pic

2. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

That sure looks like the 55 I looked at in 1975 at "street rods" in whittier, It was in the back of the lot in pretty bad shape but had a 427 with a tarantula intake, glass hood and trunk lid , cragars, 2 black buckets and a old roll bar, I was 15 years old and I wanted It bad, but they wanted $1100.00 firm,I had about $200 dollars to my name then. They said it was a "FAMOUS LOCAL RACE CAR"

3. Searcher

Searcher

Post some pic's when you can.

4. High5

High5

What a cool thread. To think that some of the owners (or friends to owners) have shared their memories and pictures for all of us to read. Wow, it doesn't get any better than that!!!!

5. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what makes this the best site on the internet ! :D

6. CalGasser

CalGasser

Finally got some pictures of my buddy's ex-race car from the 60's. It is the same car Fogger built and raced. Jim can't remember where he bought it but think it may be at a swap meet or who he sold it to. About 20 or so years ago, a Black painter by the name of Art from Compton (who knew Jim was the previous owner) told him the car was for sale in Compton so he went to look at it. When Jim saw the car he couldn't believe it, someone had turned it back into a street car. All the racing stuff like roll bar, Olds rear end, the aluminum work, etc. were gone. The rear quarters were also replaced so no radiused fenderwell and it even had a back seat. Jim didn't even bother to ask what the guy wanted and left. Jim said that was the end of the road for White Lightnin. So if anyone's looking for this car, you won't find it as a Gasser.
    When Jim Hendricks owned it, he lived in Playa del Rey. He recalls owning it for about 5 years but when Lion's closed, he sold it. So doing the math, he probably bought it around 67, maybe 68. When he ran it at Lion's, it ran a 440 BBC with an Edelbrock 2500X tunnel ram with two 660 center squirters, Sig cam and AFR heads built by Red Vanics(sp?) of Hot Rod City in Torrance, CA. His best time was 11.02 @ 136 mph.
    A) In picture with his daughter, that would've been about '71. Notice the gauge panel, speaker screen on the speedo and partial dog house.
    B) Picture of engine, set back firewall is identical to the original.
    C) Some exterior shots of the car sans old sponsor and new sponsorship by Doug Thorley and Permatex. Also notice hole in hood where injectors used to exit.
    D) Red 55 was his tow car - it ran in the low 12's...
    Jim restored tri-fives at his shop in Gardena until he retired about 11 years ago so he knows his Chevies. If he says it's the same car, I wouldn't doubt him. He still does beautiful work on his own cars and is a wealth of knowledge. He was very instrumental in aiding my build on my 55 Gasser.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but White Lightnin has met its demise! :mad: Vic

Attached Files:

• WL1.jpg
      WL1.jpg
      File size:
      106.8 KB
      Views:
    • WL2.jpg
      WL2.jpg
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    • WL3.jpg
      WL3.jpg
      File size:
      296.2 KB
      Views:
    • WL4.jpg
      WL4.jpg
      File size:
      183.6 KB
      Views:
    benchseat4speed likes this.
  7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Well at least we know what became of it. I think this definately happened to more that one 55 chevy that was put back on the street with its history erased... At least the pics exist.
    Jay

8. Searcher

Searcher

Wow!!! Thank's for the update and pictures. At least we know more of it's history... that's very cool. Good to hear it made more fast passes at Lions.
    Sounds like it's fate was linked to the old Drag Strip.

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

sad---that's a 60 el camino...

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  10. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

This has been a wicked cool ride through history, Thank You.

Pictures of mine, so far.

Attached Files:

11. Searcher

Searcher

Bumping a good read.