Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1958 Chevy Apache...."The Tomahawk Chop"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64LeSabre455, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I think its about time to start a build thread on my 1958 Chevrolet Apache, I have affectionately named "The Tomahawk Chop". (More on that Later.)

I picked up the truck almost a year ago and it has sat waiting until I had some time and funds to get around to it. Well with my current job, I have no time to work on it, but I do have some discretionary funds that I have squirreled away to help pick up some parts and pieces.

Here is the original link to when I picked it up.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=681268

[​IMG]

As you can see It needs a ton of work. On my initial inspection I noticed a few problem areas, I thought they would be an easy fix, nothing to worry about.

As I got into it some more, I didn't like what I found.
    [​IMG]

I picked up a few parts that I had found while searching the HAMB, to aid me in fixing up the problem areas.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cab I picked up has some issues of it's own, but it will be used for parts. I was hoping to pick one up and be able to just swap it out, but this one has issues with the firewall cab corners, lower a pillers, hinge pockets, steps, etc...
    My plan is to chop of the top and use it to repair the one I have.

[​IMG]
    I picked up a starter, fixed the ignition switch, rebuilt the carb, worked on the brakes, and done some general clean up. Nothing to fancy to show pics of.

I usually don't name my vehicles, I think it's a little cliche`, but this one called out to me for some reason.

I am a Medic in the US Army. I deployed to Iraq in 06-07 with the greatest bunch of guys I have ever been proud to be associated with. I was with Comanche Co, 1st Battalion 23rd Infantry Regiment, Task Force Tomahawk in Baghdad Iraq during the Surge. This build will be sort of homage to the brave Soldiers that were lost on that deployment.

So I have a 58 Apache...Check!

[​IMG]
    A sign that was going to be used to patch the cab.... Check!

A reason to build this truck..... Check!

I hope you follow along, there will not be regular updates.
    I hope this thread is more of a place for me to ask for Assistance from all the other TF truck owners!

2. devilleish

devilleish

Subscribed!
    My '55 Task Force is going under the knife soon since I'm working steadily again. Good luck with yours and I look forward to following your progress!

3. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Neal, the sign you have in the pic? Was that in your truck or the cab you picked up in Fort Worth? I have one hanging in our shop just like it (half of the sign) but we aren't sure where it came from!
    Maybe we can get those vent windows to you @ roundup.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Scott, it was in the roof of the cab that I picked up from you.

It looks like it was going to be used to patch the part that was cutout.

I was surprised it was still in there after the drive back from Ft Worth!

5. very nice... good luck... I have a '58 driver big rear window for sale if you decide to go another route or know anybody looking for one.

6. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

That's funny, we have one on the wall. And have joking referred to the shop as the reservation since there are so many apaches around. Let me know if there's anything else you want me to be on the lookout for.

7. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

Alright you have my attention.. And thanks for your service!!! It's greatly appreciated.

8. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Thanks, the progress will be slow, but stay along for the ride!

I have a friend that might be interested. PM me some info!

Thanks!
    I love your truck, I think you made a good trade!

Anyone have a link to a good shop manual or wiring diagram. Been lookin and have had no luck.

9. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I love 58's ... I'll be watching.

10. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

So a little progress. I am trying to separate the inner and outer roof panels from the cab, so I can fix the problems areas on the other cab.

I knew they filled in the gas fill hole on the cab, and bondo was used to finish the body work. [​IMG]
    Looks like I'm gonna have to fix that!

Some more random shots!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a few more spot welds to drill, and should have it separated.

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

I feel your pain... I went through all the same rust on my buddies 58 Uh-Patch-EE!! :D

12. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Thats what I should call it Uh-Patch-EE!!

Some more shots, this is where I am at now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the separation of the panels I managed to mangle my arm.
    Gonna take a little break and get back to it later!

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Oh geez!!! You alright? Looks like the cab too most of the damage!!! :D

14. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

I think it's about time I get back on it. I'm all healed up and ready to get back to work.
    [​IMG]

Not much progress, but It has moved from it's temporary storage to my house to begin work.

[​IMG]

Anyone have an idea to repair the rear frame rail. It took a pretty good hit in the past. It is before the rear crossmember. I was thinking throwin some heat at it and tryin to straighten it out, or cut it off and replace a section of rail?

[​IMG]

15. 1959apache

1959apache

it would be faster to cut it off, make an identical piece, weld it on and put a gusset on it and you will be good to go. Is your frame tweaked because of that accident?

16. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

The frame looks to be straight and level. Just the rear frame horn on the pass side is a little wadded up. It looks like I may be able to fix it without removing the rivets from the rear crossmember and the spring perch.

17. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I'd try to straighten it, what have you got to loose? If it doesn't go good you are gonna cut it out anyway.

18. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

So I have decided to let this project go. Not enough time to work on it, due to my work schedule. Sold it to a guy in Houston, hopefully he can do what I couldn't!
    I did get something to replace it though!