Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Underrated Orphans from the 1940s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Blackfeatherau likes this.
  2. sololobo

sololobo

Some rare birds here, the 42 DeSoto would be a prize. Here is my fave 41 Stude coupe. South Omaha Boys, bonneville screamer! 200mph w/sbc ~sololobo

`

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I was just looking at a pic of a 42 Desoto I took at a junkyard in Eastern Ontario in the early 80's, didnt really know what it was at the time but the hidden headlights facinated me!

4. jroberts

jroberts

The '47 Studebaker was the first really "new" car after the war:

[​IMG]

5. Darryl Clarke

Darryl Clarke

I think the most interesting thing a fellow could do with that '42 Desoto, would be to shrink the rear of the car, both in height, and width, so that it looks in real life more or less the way it looks in this drawing. Smaller rear wheels and tires might be needed.....

Darryl

6. I found a '42 DeSoto Fifth Avenue convertible in Wichita selling from a young man's father's estate and brought it home. It needed and deserved a restoration and I let a friend broker it out to someone supposed to do a concours resto on it. At a small profit of course. It was the 4th '42 DeSoto convert known amongst DeSoto-philes.
    This was one that definintely deserved restoration and not customization though I came close to getting a finned aluminum head and log manifold for it before the restorer came along. Yes, those are factory skirts in the photo.

Attached Files:

7. Squablow

Squablow

Good list, '42 DeSoto definitely rates high on my list of underrated 40's cars.

Not sure about the Plymouths though, the '40's Plymouth coupes seem to have a fairly strong following already. I like them, not sure if I'd consider them underrated though.

'40 Chrysler is a car that I think is as handsome as a '40 Ford and has a nice flowing roofline with a canted pillar to boot. Yet they are very rarely seen, custom or stock.

[​IMG]

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I had a '44 Ford sedan back in the '50s...former military staff car, was actually a '42 model, soybean plastic throughout! Interior was olive drab, with cream colored plastic trim...radio delete, clock delete, singular horn button, no ring...

It had a cheap enamel repaint, a pea green...my friend Al rubbed the grille with some steel wool...it was chromed pot metal, had been painted O.D. for the war colors...probably a deluxe item that was Ford N.O.S.!

But it was anything but 'moderne', or 'Art Deco'... just decked out in War Decor.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

The 42 Desoto needs skirts and a little lowering,nothing else.

10. 1940 Nash convertible

1941 Studebaker Commander

1942 Oldsmobile 98 (de-chrome and a grille transplant, perfect!)

1942 Chrysler Royal

1946 Studebaker Champion Coupe. (Too often overlooked in favour of the '47)

11. sololobo

sololobo

That 42 DeSoto rag top is so friigin cool I couldnt stop staring at it. It is a restore type ride for sure, but is lookin cool with the factory skirts. Thanx for posting that baby. ~sololobo~

12. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

I absolutely love my orphan.. 40 Plymouth.

13. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Those DeSotos are beyond cool! I've had a '41 Plymouth and a '48 Plymouth coupe. Loved both of them and should have ever sold them. I think that the '40 Plymouth coupe is a beautiful car and that the pre-war Plymouth grilles are MUCH better looking than the post war Plymouth's. I also agree with Jimmy B's list of slick orphans. I kind of like the Mopars both pre and immidiate post war.

14. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

'42 Century is cool for being one year only. Not an orphan either, and maybe it's just that there are many more Mercs, but how bout a '49 Lincoln base. The '42 Chrysler is neat and reminds me of a Cord.

I like the cars themselves, but especially for the grills '41-42 Oldsmobile, '40 Commander (those grills on a '41 would be nice), and I prefer the late 40s Champion grills over the Commanders, but a bullet nose is best. I also like the '49 Pontiac Streamliner, '49 Rocket 88, '42 Desoto, and '40-47 Packards.

15. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I really like the '47 Pontiac streamliner.

Attached Files:

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Seems like any review of '40s orphans ought to include those makes that were launched in the '40s, or were primarily manufactered between '40 and '50:

Kaiser
    Frazer
    Davis (3-wheeler)
    Tucker (rear engine, air cooled)
    King Midget
    Kurtis (pre-Muntz)
    Crosley (actually introduced in '39)
    Jeepster

I know I've forgotten some, and there's another list of '50s orphan makes...

17. chad-64

chad-64

I recently purchased my Great Grandfathers car from my Uncle, 1946 Nash Ambassador. I am partial since it has been in the family since new, even though Nash isn't usually on anyones Classic list.

Attached Files:

18. Machinder

Machinder
    from 19605

How about a little love for prewar Studebaker !

Attached Files:

timmy2times and Blackfeatherau like this.
  19. studeq

studeq
    from Mokena, IL

I remember that car. If not mistaken it had belonged to a Nick Diamentes in Wichita. I bought a '31 Studebaker President coupe from him back in 1978 and he also had the DeSoto sitting next to it in his garage. Always wondered what happened to it. Nick was somewhat of a character!

20. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

That Nash posted earlier is COOL!

21. Now that Pontiac has ceased production, it's an orphan. Never thought I'd see it.
    Here are a couple 40s Ponchos...my old 48 torpedo and my 41 business coupe.

Attached Files:

timmy2times likes this.
  22. bobjob55

bobjob55

'48 dodge .. now all i need of a lot of cash to get it done ..