Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My new love... 1956 Caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PinstriperGirl, Sep 16, 2012.

1. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

great choice. i have a 56 caddy 4 door hardtop with a 350 in it. If you have any questions PM me. It is not that bad but there are some things that i have learned along the way.

2. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

Cool car. I have a 472 or a 500 Caddy motor with its trans that I am going to sell. It was running when it was pulled out but I don't know the overall condition of it. Message me if you would be interested, I will cut you a deal on it because I don't need it around.

3. carmak

carmak

I can tell you first hand that a SBC is not the drop in you hope it is.

The caddy engine sits way down in the frame and tucked up tight against the firewall. The upper control arms and their mounts intrude much further than on modern cars.

The caddy has all of it's front accessories mounted up high to allow it to sit low and clear the control arms. The exhaust manifolds are also designed to clear the control arms.

The trick is that if the engine is not low enough you WILL get nasty driveline vibration.

In my opintion a 472/500 actually fits better than an SBC.

If your three top goals are reasonable cost, reliability and good MPG I would put a 3800 V6 out of a 2000 ish Camaro/Firebird.

I decided to rebuild my 365 about 10 years ago for my current 57 Coupe DeVille. I am never afraid to open the hood.

Good luck
    CarmaK

Attached Files:

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yikes! I don't think mileage would be that great since it would be working awful hard to pull that weight around. Not to mention barely having enough torque to get out of its own way.

5. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Wise idea to go with a SBC. If you were to ever break down running the old caddy engine.... good luck finding what ya need in the nearest Auto-zone/O'Reilly

6. VonKool13

VonKool13

Cool car, keep all the caddy motor stuff though. Maybe over time you can re-build it and install it.

7. Everybody puts a SBC in their car (I myself was gonna) and theres a reason for that. Like some people have already said, keep the basket case Caddy motor and piece it together as time goes on.

It looks wicked by the way, I'd keep it original paint myself as well. Good luck! :D

8. wallyringo

wallyringo

cool Caddy i bet that paint will look real nice after you work on it and polish it up, keep the post coming

9. Nice car!... The sbc will be fine. I would put quiet mufflers on it and just never open the hood in front of any Cadillac people.:eek:

10. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Where in Michigan, I may have to take that old Caddy mill of your hands....

11. Nice find! Do i see i build thread in the near future?

12. Torchie

Torchie

These mid fifties land yachts make great drivers. I had a 55 Cadillac convertible in the mid 70's. Paid 450 bucks for it and drove it home. Body was straight as an arrow and every thing worked. Ah... the good old days.

13. murfman

murfman

If you want mileage, throw a Cummins from a 89-92 Dodge Ram in it. It will get you mid to high 20MPG and run for 500,000 miles.

Hey, its better than a SBC...

14. you will need a good stereo or a set of air plugs to drown out the racket of the cummins. stick with the chevy

15. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

I'm about 45min NW of Detroit in the White Lake / Commerce area.

Thank you everyone for all the encouragement because I don't know what I'm doing and I am a little bit intimidated by the project. I am really excited to begin and I can't wait till she comes home on the weekend to start. One of the first things I need to do is remove the rodent smell but I'm trying to figure out what the best way to go about doing that. I would like to save the interior but I am unsure to what extent those furry rodents have done damage. Anyone have a good way to clean out the smell of mice in an old car?

I am still unsure what to do with the Caddy motor and trans. Part of me wants to save it and work on it over time but the other part of me wants to sell it and put that money into the car. I like the idea of being able to go to the local auto parts store if I need something instead of waiting two weeks for a part. Plus I have access to a freshly built 307 Camaro motor sitting on the garage floor and a tune port injection out of a '86 Vette that I'm told will bolt right on.

Either way the new motor isn't going in it tomorrow. I should have some time to figure out what the best option is. If anyone has done the chevy engine swap and any tips let me know.

16. alicia-dusty

alicia-dusty

I think the cadilac engines had a higher nickel content than other motors. More wear resistent than other alloy metal. Iread that somewhere.

17. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

I would like to do a build thread in near future. By the way where do I post a build thread?

18. tiger mark

tiger mark
    from burbank,il

Have a line on a 56 Cad saw it today missing bumpers and grill has a mint interior and the motor is there I guess I'll pick it up and see if I can get running and go from their. Good luck with yours

19. Post it right where you posted this! :D

And as for the smell of mice, that's tricky. My seats weren't salvageable so I didn't feal bad ripping them out and my car had mice and a pack rat in there! I'm pretty sure birds were in there at some point too! :eek:

I pulled everything out and mixed bleach with water and went to town on it, but of course if it's dark upholstery it's gonna bleach it and wreck it. If I was you I'd match the fabric if you like it, pull it all out clean it and re-do the seats using similar matching fabric that way you know you're safe. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

LOL...the biggest line of bull there is...nothing "will bolt right in"...don't delude yourself and don't let others lie to you, there's very little interchange engines/trannys that will bolt right in, unless it's the stock one going back in...When putting a Chevy in a Cadillac, first of all, you have to be concerned with motor mounts, tranny mounts, length of the Caddy X-member under the car that the tranny must go into (I know, I just went thru all that with my build) Go here to see all of it: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=329070&highlight=the+best+55+caddy+build,

Then you'll have to worry about drive shaft length and matching it up to the stock rear end (if you use it)...or whatever rear end you'll use. Up front, you'll need to worry about exhaust -will it clear the steering...??? Then you'll need to be concerned about the radiator...and will the SBC pan clear the tie rods or the stock Cadillac saddle...??? After that, you've got to worry about the master cylinder and brakes, and in a '56 that's a whole 'nother 'experience' all by itself...!!!

Yep, it'll "bolt right in"...but making it all work together is the most important thing...how much money you got cuz it's gonna take a bunch...???

Good luck with that "bolt right in" SBC...you're gonna need it.

R-

PS...and I did all of the above by putting in a 1970 500 inch Cadillac V8/B-O-P-C T-400 tranny in my 1955 Cadillac Coupe DeVille...yep, it "bolted right in"...and took 5 1/2 years to finish...!!!"

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  21. Just post the progress pics here in this thread!

22. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

Oh, I was just talking about the intake bolting on to the motor. :eek: I'll post more when the car comes home

23. RodStRace

RodStRace

Great to see a young gal living the dream of an older car.
    The following info is for ANYONE getting into older stuff without a solid foundation and experience.
    1. get a service manual, even if you plan on a drive train swap. It will cover stuff like how to take apart that smelly interior and how to lube the chassis, two things you will still need to do. Vintage Caddys are not like modern cars or even similar era cars. They require a special touch and patience.
    2. Spend a bunch of time researching any plans before doing them. There is a TON of experience here and elsewhere on the web. It can help you avoid pitfalls others have made and learn from their mistakes. You will still make them and that's okay, but there are a lot that can be avoided with a little effort to look before you leap. Marque specific forums are a good source for details and parts, maybe even an engine!
    3. It doesn't hurt to ask questions, but also spend some time trying to search for an answer first. This way you won't be seen as someone who can't/won't do things for themselves. Also, share what you have learned, so it's not a complete take situation.
    You can often help someone else with what worked or didn't work for you. When dealing with a new parts supply, always check for good/bad feedback and ask for reviews.
    4. Tools and space. Yes, some people can do amazing stuff with very basic tools in a dirt driveway. However, it does make it much more difficult. Try to find good used tools and have a place to store the car and parts. There are threads on both of these here and on other sites. Also, find like-minded people in the area who can help and you can help them. These are usually not the guys with done cars and clean garages! More often, they are the guys with a bunch of old, greasy stuff and a couple unfinished projects.
    5. Think ahead. If you plan on upholstery 6 months or a year down the road, concentrate on what you are doing now, but also spend a bit of time checking on materials, shops and good used items now so when you get there, you know a good deal from a bad one and know why.

As for that paint, here's one of the best articles I have ever seen on restoring older paint. Please read it BEFORE taking cleanser and a scrub pad to your car!

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...w-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

If that makes you want more (most people look at all the work and still attempt shortcuts) the guy has a complete forum and lots of other articles. Most of it is geared to late model high-end stuff, but it never hurts to learn.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ke-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html

24. Great car! Love those Caddies.

25. PinstriperGirl

PinstriperGirl
    from Michigan

It's home!!! Found a really cool porcelain placard under the hood. Anyone every heard of this guy?

Attached Files:

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

The fun begins ........

27. knoxbrendon

knoxbrendon

Gotta luv these old caddys

28. Ramblinwagon

Ramblinwagon
    from illinois

Great car. If you dont mind, I am looking at one right now in chicago and the guy wants $5k. very similiar condition to yours except it is 100% together but hasnt run it 20 years. What do you think about the price? Good luck with yours.

29. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

pretty nice with a good coat of rain,haha

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool car. As far as the sbc goes, dont let people rag you. Sure a cad powerplant is bitchin but a smallblock is hard to beat for mpg, cost and availability. Keep busy and never be scared to ask questions. Badass to see a cool gal on here with a killer project, and a striper too ! Awesome

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app