Register now to get rid of these ads!

*TECH WEEK* how to build a door for your 26-27 model t /28-29 a pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingedexpress, Sep 7, 2012.

1. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Looks like you did a good job to me. how much chop? 5"?

2. Koz

Koz

Good call. You know your Model "A"s! The windshield chop is 4 1/2", which makes the door chop 7/3/8" to line up. The most critical part of chopping a '28 is splitting the top of the window frame so your glass will work properly. I'm putting a sedan style back window in, (hammer formed as you have done), to carry the upper body lines around the back. This is being put into a flat panel instead of the stocker. There wasn't much to work with on my body, most people with a brain would have just scrapped it, so I don't feel bad violating the rules. The hardest part is going to be getting the raised panels behind the doors to line up with the windows.

I'm following your thread for pointers.

3. Brog

Brog

All that work and now you have to chop it!

Just kidding nice work

4. 4pctech

4pctech
    from ky.

Great job!!! You've got my vote!!

5. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

6. great work on the door.
    Did you do anything on the inside for Rust protection before adding the door skin?

7. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I did not on this one as i was short on time.I would paint the two inside halves before i put them together on the next one at least the lips that get folded over.

8. texastramp

texastramp

Man the talent on here is just amazing and you wingedexpress have just kicked the can way on down the road with this post .............and then there is your ability and ingenuity with your tools.

Congratulations on the win!!!

9. 30 hours ? Nice work with so many bends and angles. Inspirational thread. Congrats on the Tech win !

10. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Thanks for the votes .I think you could do two almost as fast as one because you could do your measuring,layout,set up your tools and do each step to both doors at the same time.

11. Great work and tech!
    Congrats!

12. Congratulations, nicely done.

13. timothale

timothale

Good info. I need to build new doors for the 29 nash roadster. I drilled and tapped the bead roller "bearing " blocks on My HF roller to add grease zerks . after 7 years the shafts and blocks were badly gauled, rough turning. I powered mine with a HF 12 V atv winch per Jim Stabe's instructions on the old metal meet forums.

14. timothale

timothale

Excellent info. I need to build doors for 2 roadsters I found off in the brush. I have had My modified Harbor freight bead rollers for about 8 years, It started jerking instead of rolling smoothly. I pulled it apart aand the shafts were gauled, I polished them and Drilled and tapped and added grease zerks to the bearing blocks.. the first thing you should do to a chepo bead roller. I also added a quick release to mine The links were from the wrought iron aisle at my steel supplier, 49 cents each. for an easy tipping die I bought a pully for an elect motor with 22 mm bore from Burdens surplus supply. the pict is before grinding it. to the shape I needed

Attached Files:

15. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I like the quick release , that would be awesome doing art work and running beads.

16. Im still waiting for you to start selling doors. I need a driver side for my 27 coupe.

17. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Sorry I don't think I will get time to make any. 50-60 hours a week at my day job doesn't leave much time in the shop.

18. I understand. I work in a metal shop with all the tools to make one, but cant get any time to make one.

19. Anyone have the original pics saved by chance?

20. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I've had a few pm's asking me to fix the lost pics. I had to scan these out of a scrapbook as I had deleted the originals on photobucket. If im missing any let me know and ill try to get them back in.

bct likes this.
  21. 117harv

117harv

This deserves a BTT. :)

22. creepy gary

creepy gary