Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **** The Chemical City Coupe '32 5-window build thread ****

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddy_o's_diner, Aug 21, 2012.

1. I've been waiting for the right time to start a build thread on my latest project. I guess there is no time like the Present.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Meet the Chemical City Coupe. ;)

[​IMG]

I scored this car off of Craigs List this spring. According to the limited history I have, the deuce was bought out of the Detroit/Livonia Michigan area in the early '70's. The car was immediately taken to Battle Creek, Michigan and disassembled for a redo. It would never see the road again. I bought it from the daughter after dad had passed away.

Here's a few from the day I picked it up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The build has been in progress a few weeks and will be continuing at a pretty rapid pace. We are planning to have the car done for the Detroit Autorama Extreme next spring.

Sharp readers will note that I said we are planning on having the car ready for Autorama. Who is the we, you ask? Well folks, knowing my own limitations I've decided to have this one built for me. I've signed on with Jo Kerr of Jokerr Fabrication to build this one right. Rag on me if you must for not doing myself, but have you seen this guys shit?!?! He has talent in spades and an edge to his builds that just does it for me.

So there we have it, we've broken the ice and gone public. No turning back now. :eek:

Stay tuned and we'll try not to disappoint...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
    Stogy likes this.
  2. Keeping it channelled?

3. VonKool13

VonKool13

Hey there is nothing wrong with paying for your hot rod to be built, the haters can hate but they don't mean anything when your driven your hot rod with a GIANT smile on your face. Cool coupe dude.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

I love me some build threads...

Keep us posted.

Take LOTS of pics.

Rich

5. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Looks great, I can't wait to see progress on the build !

6. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Subscribed, hopefully someday I'll have a build thread for my 32-5w. Good luck!!!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome! Congrats!

8. McFly

McFly

Looking forward to the build!

9. MMMM, Me like, Me want one. You lucky guy you!

10. sounds cool, keep us posted!

11. I'm still looking for some of the history of this car. Here are a few shots that may help someone recognize the car.

Interior was black tuck and roll with chrome garnish.

[​IMG]

Rear should be pretty recognizable with these tail lights, cut-outs for a nerf bar and a piano hindge at the bottom of the deck lid.

[​IMG]

In stripping the car it was determined it had been black, maroon, and a dark metallic blue at various points in it's life.

I have posted looking for information on this car before and got no response. I can't believe that no-one would recognize a channelled unchopped deuce running around the Detroit area in the late 60's early 70's???

Any help out there???

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Can't wait to see it done

13. Looks to be a good starting point, I hope you keep it channelled

some inspiration

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Good for you, Dave! I'll tune in.

15. As much as I love a channelled car, this ones back up on the rails.

I stressed out for weeks over whether or not to keep it channelled.

I literally lost sleep over the decision.

Once the decision was made we started forward with the plans.

I'll post some pics later as time permits.

16. Meyer

Meyer

Jokerr builds cool stuff

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Chemical City, Silver City, Sugar City.....this is getting confusing!! C'mon man show us some progress pics, I know you've got some to throw us.

I'm gonna channel my '32 when I get there and I think I would have if I were you only because I'm not going to fit real well but you would have been a perfect size to do so. HOWEVER, you cannot deny the classic look of a 32 body exactly where Henry placed it.

Your Old '32 has begun it's transformation now as well. It'll be cool to see both cars at Detroit this year or next!

54BOMB likes this.
  18. Well JJ,
    Since I got the car out of Battle Creek, MI, (home of Kelloggs) I almost called it the Cereal City Special. I figured I'd get sick of the "It's G-r-r-reat!!!" jokes. :rolleyes:

So instead I opted for the Chemical City Coupe. I'm from Midland, MI, which is the home of Dow Chemical and Dow Corning.

I'm glad to hear Dustin is getting started on my old deuce. He better do me proud on that thing as it looks like I'm gonna take a bath on the galaxie. :confused:;)

Progress pics are coming...

19. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Who says guys with 34 coupes can't branch out once in awhile! Good looking project, I have always liked deuce 5 window coupes.

20. I am not sure that anyone stepped up and I haven't been called a hater for a while. So I think it is lame as hell to pay someone to build a car for you.

daddy_o's_diner,
    That statement was not aimed at you it was aimed at the drama queen. To know one's limitations is to know one's self and a lot can be said for that.

If your check book can handle it, your kids still have shoes, it is far better to have someone build your car right than to roll in one that is wrong. I am looking forward to seeing the results and your Tony Tiger Grrrrrrin when you cruise it.

I think that Battle Creek Bandit would have been a better name but aside from the birth defects there is not a thing wrong with the Chemical City Coupe. ;)

21. 'beaner - you f'ing hater!!! ;)

I never dreamed of having a car built for me, but it just kind of happened.

I had traded off a different '32 five window to another HAMB member because I knew it was too big of a project for me right now. I soon regretted that decision because I figured I never would get a chance to own another deuce.

Low and behold if one didn't pop on on Craigs that was actually affordable. So I scooped it up. Then I was back to the same problem of not having time for a big project (2 young daughters in sports, etc...). I did not want it sitting around for years as I knew I would lose interest and sell or trade this one off also. I did not want 2 deuces to slip between my fingers so I did a little soul searching and decided to take the plunge.

I'm selling a few toys (NOT the '34 5-window!) and scraping up the funds. It's gonna be tight, but no one will be going hungry.

If anyone would have told me a year ago that I would own another '32 and would be having built, I would have told you to put down the crack pipe. :D

22. The day we loaded it up. Headed down to Jokerrs.

[​IMG]

New metal!

[​IMG].

NO the frame and 4-bar front will not be used. Started from scratch.

23. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Are those subrails for a 5 window? If so where did you get them? Looks like you have all the pieces I need there....

24. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Love your 34, can't wait to see this one come together.

Thommo

25. Daddy O,
    Those are the new 5-window subrails from United Pacific. They are NICE. Get ahold of Dick Spadaro for all your deuce sheetmetal needs.

26. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Yeah, I already bought the inner rear wheel wells, rockers, lower quarter patch panels, and panel below the trunk lid from him. Nice stuff for sure.

27. I'll follow along.

I may have missed it, but what is going to be motivating this one?

28. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That's a terrific looking start. I'll look forward to following along with the build. I'm surprised nobody from the Detroit area recognizes the car. Possibly it was bought out of state and had only been in Detroit for a short period of time?
    And since nobody has asked yet "Is that piss yellow or puke green"?;)

29. Nailhead with 3-pedals!!! :D:cool:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  30. New chassis on the jig:

[​IMG]

New subrails and working on the floor:

[​IMG]

32owner and Cyclone_racer like this.