Register now to get rid of these ads!

The FED Experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Outstanding movie. I call it a movie cause it is! I think if you had a butterfly wheel in there a guy wouldn't be steering it so much. Don't get me wrong, I like the steering wheel in that car. Bitchin deal all around. You did a fantastic job on the car. I don't know about letting Roo drive it though. :p:D I better shut up he has my front axle.:D Lippy

2. Congrats on the build and getting to drive it. Such a bad ass video and really shows what's going on.

3. My dad used to be a regular at the local strips in Southeast MO back in the late '60's/early 70's. A guy he used to run with decided he was going to buy a top fuel FED (and secretively his plan was to get my dad to drive it for him...because my dad was the craziest SOB he knew...). So he called my dad up and told him to meet him at the Paragould, AR strip so he could make a few passes in it. My dad had driven mostly full bodied cars on the strip but reluctantly decided to give it a try.

Quote:
    "I made 5 passes in that damn thang...getting faster with each pass....and I never once had control of it when it was moving."

He kept it off the rail....and went back to racing cars he had some control over.

4. Throttlemonkey

Throttlemonkey

Rear engine cars are for girls.

5. I don't think anyone ever really has control of a top fuel car, they just get calloused after a few passes.

I have a friend that raced top fuel until the early '80s. He told me once that as much as he loved it he always climbed in and just hoped for the best.

6. More balls than I.
    Great video. Loved the intro music.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

cool video...never been a dragster........thanks for the fun!

8. Excellent!!! Just what I wanted to see, Ingenuity in Action !! Nice job! :D;)

9. sololobo

sololobo

Really cool guys, appreciate all the effort in the video. It was very special to see Kerry's rig perform. Nice pass with Rooman as well. Good stuff! ~sololobo~

10. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

Forget about the gas pedal, where you goin to put the radio?

11. BTW, what was the time on Roomans pass?

12. Kerry...after we talked at the strip I had a thought...why not put an adjustable throttle stop in the car? Adjust it as you feel more comfortable with the car. Just a thought.

13. das858

das858

Excellent film on a great car, I thought your engine was the best sounding one at the track Saturday. This just makes me want to build a front engine dragster more.

14. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

Kerry,
    Thanks for letting me attach my camera to the car and thanks so much for letting me help out in the pits. You can count on me anytime you need the help, I'm hooked!!
    Mongo

15. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

This is one of the best cover storys I have read on Jalopy Journal and I enjoy them all! Great video of an awesome digger!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!!

16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Top notch buddy, I'm proud of you.

17. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like fun. Wonder if Jenny would let......not a chance in hell!!

18. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

Good job on your attempts. More seat time & a little fine tuning will be needed for sure. I almost crapped just watching the front end dart around on the track - and I was just watching a video!!!

19. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thats a great ride and a great film, got to go back out and work on mine now, real inspirational, thank you!

20. Got a kick out of the video. Thanks.

21. autobilly

autobilly

Totally! Good words too Ryan.

22. rooman

rooman

I don't have the slip here at the house but as far as I can remember the 1/8 mile numbers were around 7.15 at 107 and the 1/4 was in the high 11's. I shut off just past the half track timers when the engine "popped".

Roo

23. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Awsome.... Rooman, couldn't stay out of a FED long, Eh Buddy...

Great video.....

24. mow too much

mow too much

Neat video, thanks.

25. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I've spent a couple of weekends at the track with Skotz as he sorts out Flathead Fever. He unveiled his new nitro methane personality at his birthday party a few months ago. I have to say, I WANT ONE!

I think Skotz will be along soon with some Amens to your sermon, Rev Cochran.

[​IMG]

26. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

NHRA 9:14

" It is mandatory that a driver be seated in the car in the normal driving position anytime the engine is running, unless coupler or driveline is removed from vehicle"

It came about when sombody started their car from the outside in gear without a neutral saftey switch and it took off. Plus if everybody adhears to the saftey rules the officals dont have to worry about whats going on when they hear a engine running.[/QUOTE]

While I agree that it is unsafe to start a car with no one in it, you do realize that MoKan is not a sanctioned drag strip. NHRA (or IHRA) rules do not apply.

Kerry, I got a serious kick out of watching your car. I'm getting the itch again. I'll also chime in on the "you'll get used to it" bandwagon. For the short time I drove a dragster, it pretty well scared the pee out of me for the first few runs. But it wasn't too long that it seemed like it wasn't all that out of control. It just takes seat time.

27. Deadbird

Deadbird

I'll bet you are! Makes me smile just thinking about that car. You did an excellent job on that build Kerry. Don't be too hard on yourself in the driving department. You'll get there. Practice makes perfect, and what fun you'll have practicing! Looking forward to see what you do next year.

28. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Very cool. Nice to see and hear that baby get up and go down the track.

I always wondered whether that intake would perform as well as it looked. Now I know. Seems like it is doing a pretty good job.

Keep at it!

29. This is soooooo cool!

Man.

Sam

30. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

great video guys.i started driving FED'S in the early '90 s,first a comp car running single carb,8.90 etc.
    Finally stepped it up engine wise to a blown alky 376ci nascar cleveland,this in a 150in mild steel very rigid chassis.

i still remember the butterflies and absolute fear the first time driving a blown FED, of wheelstanding at 1/3 track and smoking the tyres in the top end,of not being able to see where the hell you were going.

i got older and life took me down a slower route, but i'll hold on to
    the fact i had a chance to drive a blown dragster.

thommo