Register now to get rid of these ads!

The FED Experience

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

3. plhildy

plhildy
    from Clovis, Ca

Well now, that was fun, however not as much fun as haveing to oppetunity to be the one driving, I suspect (having never)

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Was that an oil fille cap that flew by the camera?

Actually watching this video temps me to call Keith Tardell and order one of his new chassis'

5. Very nice! Congrats brother kerry AKA "The Worlds Fastest Mennonite!"

6. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

That was awesome. Great video.

7. Preach it Ryan. I enjoy the video a LOT (Thanks KCMongo!) but am appalled at my driving and how flustered I get. The second pass I got confused as to what gear I was in and actually downshifted momentarily. Doh!!!! That and how timid I seem. I have way to much pedel travel to get to WOT. Rooman set me straight on how much I should have.

The cap you see flying off in the second run is the cap from the right Ansen water fill. :-( I walked the track after the race but it's not to be found. Anybody got a spare?

I was kinda fried and thinking that I was done for the day at two passes. Rooman was giving me a hard time and I thought, what better test than to have soemone with some experience make a pass. It was WAY cool to watch him drive the old girl. :)

All of that said I am humbled but learning. Already have a line on some wider slots for some better slicks. :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That was way cool! Ya did good Kerry! Thanks for the ride

9. S.F.

S.F.

Really dig the Ingenuity in Action opening changed with the HAMB logo...cool

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

AWESOME!!! That thing was killer and it was cool to see the POV version. Loved the opening credits.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

One of my favorite pics of the weekend...

[​IMG]

It just looks so right for the HAMB Drags

12. Kerry how wide a slots do ya need?

I don't think I would be too concerned about your driving skills you just have a very large learning curve. An old fella I once knew told me once you should never brake in a curve. Keep the gas on and hold tight, she may drift a bit but I am sure that you will make it around the curve.

Awful proud to know ya friend, you done good.

13. koth

koth

That was really cool to watch, thanks for sharing it! I would love to have a chance at driving an FED. I had no idea what a handfull they could be:)
    Kerry, you are living the life!!

14. How cool was that! I enjoyed!

15. That was awesome! I had to watch it again in full screen.

16. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

RULES are RULES

There must always be a driver in the seat when the engine is running--PERIOD!!!!!!

Other than that it was cool.

17. Way too cool Kerry there is nothing like a FED to make your heart rate go up. And that experience really feels good after you are 60. Even better after you are 66, even if it is in a slow Flathead FED. Great video to boot, looks like you are having a blast just remember to "Keep em between the whites"......Carl

18. One very cool sidebar was the kid or kids helping out,think of their "what I did on my summer vacation" essay! Way to keep the next generation involved.

19. Shoot, some of the things I miss out on. Killer ride Kerry. So glad you got that monster scooting down the track. Your determination paid off in spades. Way to go!

20. seatex

seatex

Damn, man, that thing is freaking awesome! Gotta start somewhere...........how did you ever get your balls to fit into the cockpit?

21. beegator

beegator

Photo by LIPPY

[​IMG]

22. BELLM

BELLM

Awesome Kerry! You did good,both building and driving! Enjoyed the video since I wasn't there. I still laugh when I think about your dead skunk/state trooper story:)

23. Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

Beaner, a local buddy is selling me a pair of 15x10 Ansen sprints for the princely sum of $50. I'd love some torque thrusts of better yet, old Romeo Palamides but this is in my price range. If I get to big withthe slicks I'll have to modify the trailer.

Color me ignorant but I never knew someone had to be in the car every fireup. What is the thinking behind the rule? I could see it in a clutch car but it doesn't make a lot of sense in an automatic car.

24. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

Cool video, cool car, hate I missed being there again. Great job.

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

It was a pleasure to finally meet you. Sure enjoyed visiting with you Saturday. Are you going to the Ardmore, OK, race Sept. 3rd? If so, I'll see ya there. By the way, the video is great!

26. rooman

rooman

Kerry,
    once again thanks for trusting me with your toy. I knew that I was steering it some during the run but I sure look busy in the video. You did great for first time out. Slingshots are so different to drive than anything else but at least you are the first to know when they get out of shape. I only ever made a couple of laps in rear engine cars and never did like them as it is hard to know what is going on back there.
    Real race cars are the ones where the driver can see the motor.

Roo

27. Kerry
    The thinking is that if you are in the car you are in control. Lots of cars get cranked and warmed with no one in it.

hey looks like your light in the tail digger isn't going to be needing cheaters. My heavy in the rear gasser doesn't have any if you get to feeling generous. ;)

28. rick finch

rick finch

The biggest transition for me was learning to drive a RED as opposed to a FED....VERY steep learning curve! (I always prefered my old FED)...Kerry, the tendency to over correct soon ends after you make a few laps, just keep doing it, and you'll get the hang of it.:)

29. You are more than welcome Roo. :) Changing that crazy gas pedal will go a long way to making me more comfortable in the car.

The little burnout I did was cool, seeing the smoke come off of the left tire in front of me.

I am officially addicted... and still grinning.

30. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Color me ignorant but I never knew someone had to be in the car every fireup. What is the thinking behind the rule? I could see it in a clutch car but it doesn't make a lot of sense in an automatic car.[/QUOTE]

NHRA 9:14

" It is mandatory that a driver be seated in the car in the normal driving position anytime the engine is running, unless coupler or driveline is removed from vehicle"

It came about when sombody started their car from the outside in gear without a neutral saftey switch and it took off. Plus if everybody adhears to the saftey rules the officals dont have to worry about whats going on when they hear a engine running.