Register now to get rid of these ads!

It's almost that time again...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

"Just go. It beats any car show, any hot rod shop, and other live racing event, because being there is transforming, and words or pictures don’t do it real justice. You’ve got to feel it for yourself."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That says it all.

3. GH

GH

I recommend not going, unless you want to get hooked and have a great time. I went in 1998 to watch and I said, "I gotta do this". Made 12 trips to the salt and had the time of my life.

4. Getting my camping gear sorted already.

5. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Listen, as a newbie last year to the salt flats, if there is someone out there that is on the fence of going or not it is very easy.... DO IT! Prior to going I only saw it in mags, youtube, tv, etc. Once you step foot on the salt and see and hear the cars it is awesome. Truly a must at least once. Problem is that once you go you want to keep going. Be warned......

6. The biggest dyno in the world.

7. TomH

TomH

You staying at the bend?? If so will be neighbors

8. grander

grander

I have been to Bonneville several times. Always a great experience. You can stand right at the starting line, close to the cars, walk the line of cars and bikes waiting their turn, wander the pits and talk to the crews. Or just park yourself along the course and watch cars at speed. just GO!!

9. Should be Tom, unless it gets too crowded and I will camp at the "other" place. Who is coming with you?

10. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Bonneville changed my life.
    I'll be making another Old Crow limited edition canvas print for this year. Last years sold out.

11. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

First time in years I wont be there... F**king economy...

12. TomH

TomH

Just me and the wife so far.

13. sinticket

sinticket

Bonneville is THE greatest place on earth...PERIOD. Once you go you are surely hooked for life...I sure as hell am!

14. bowtiemyk

bowtiemyk

After going last year, I can't believe I never went when I was stationed at Hell AFB in Ogden. Remember to bring sunglasses for your sunglasses!

15. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Never thought of that option, I'll consider for next year, it is a very very very long trip....driving :D

16. We'll be there Wed. night. Tech on Thurs. ;-)

17. I will be rolling in late Thurs, PM me your number and I can get that tank out of your way before the weekend gets going.

18. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

Any tips for a first-timer? Lots of sunscreen obviously....

Will be there helping out Candy-Man and his lakester

19. Need an updae on that lakester!

As for tips, check out www.scta-bni.org There is a page with beginner tips.

20. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

If wearing shorts, sunscreen your lower legs more than you normally do; the reflected light off the salt can burn too. If your shorts are baggy, wear briefs, not boxers. Same reason.

Other than that, bring a bike or some form of wheeled transport and try to get around as much as you can, the pits are HUGE and there is awesome hidden everywhere.

21. Last year was my first time, what a experience. You cannot get the feeling from a magazine. Seeing cars go that fast is incredible, I saw Blowfish do 280+ and Speed Demon do 406mph, I have never seen anything so cool!

<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nrwib6aOIlo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1R0ujHCv1cY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wanted to get back there this year but that wont happen. 2012 for sure!

Wear sunscreen and make sure it is covering every inch of skin not covered by clothing. I forgot to put sunscreen on my inside biceps and fuck did I get burnt. The No.1 thing I was told do not wear shorts!

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Going to crew on the #299 BFR again this year. Thinking about riding a motorcycle from Dallas to Wendover if anyone wants to tag along. Can't be too much different than driving a Model A highboy that far. :)

23. I have always stayed at the Red Garter but this year we are in a camper at The Bend. Every year I pity the fools camping...now it's going to be me. Nervous.

24. sophisto79

sophisto79

I'm absolutely beside myself now...

First timer, and I'm taking the '50 F1 out there with my buddy and we plan on roughing it. If the Bend is too crowded, where else is there to camp?

Can't...wait...'til...August...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  25. zgears

zgears

what's the date?

26. There will be room. ;)

27. I've had "Salt Fever" since I attended my first Speed Week in 1970:

[​IMG]
    Checking out the famous (Fred) Larsen & (Don) Cummins CAL CUSTOM Streamliner (designed by Lynn Yakel)

It will be 20 years since we scattered my Dad's ashes over the flats:

[​IMG]
    August 1991 (43rd Annual Bonneville Nationals): Dad's ashes (urn) strapped in the Thomas-Walsh-Walsh-Cusack
    "333" Roadster. Photo was taken right after John Walsh drove to a 2-way average of 213.853mph (becoming a
    member of the prestigious 200MPH Club). Later that same day, my father's ashes were scattered over the flats.

[​IMG]
    The #333 Roadster @ Speed Week '92 ... that's yours truly (hard at work) standing on top of the "Nerd-mobile"
    push wagon ... Chet Thomas strapped into the cockpit ... and crew members Ray Lenz & Dennis Dobbeck giving
    Chet a pep talk.

I've attended several Bonneville events since then ... and am really looking forward to Speed Week '11.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  28. Jimmy B -

Those are cool vids ... hadn't seen them before ... thanks for sharing!

Here's my favorite video from Speed Week '10:

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I only have three disappointments about Speed Week:

1. It took me way too long to get there the first time.
    2. There have been things that kept me from attending a few times since my first trip.
    3. It is only one week a year.

30. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

bags are packed and coolers waiting ! see yall out there . if theres anyone wants to convoy hit me up !!!!!

Attached Files: