Register now to get rid of these ads!

need help with value of 1962 f100 unibody

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverwinter, Mar 29, 2011.

1. neverwinter

neverwinter

hey all. I just got rid of my daily F250 for a family car and got to thinking how i will miss having a truck. I've always wanted an old pickup and started to consider selling my 67 Dart GT.

anyway, i found this F100 locally that the dealer / owner is willing to straight trade for my Dart. Price wise what he is asking is what I had hoped to get for my Dart. I am trying to get some insight as to if his price is a good one or not. I'm not out to get screwed nor screw anyone else, just want to make sure that what he is offering is worth the price. I know my car and what i have into it.

here's some of what he has said and a few pics. Any input is appreciated.

ideally i'd love a 57-60 F100 or Apache, 3 or 4 speed, shortbed. But i am intrigued with this truck for some reason!

his words:

27,000 titled miles!! long bed rock solid no rust!! motor 390+c6 auto like new!! bookvalues fromlow of $8k to high of $21,000 this rig appraises out well over $$15K!! trades +or sswwpas in same range!

" i have the most importanat which is the title,, it was serviced regularly by last owner was won in a shriners auction few years ago, he decided he wanted a jeep and i traded him even my 98 $6500 rubicon,,, ford in shop for a day getting header gaskets, and manual choke rehooked up it runs awesome! i'd swap you gt for ford have title with 28,000 miles a a little detail and body work and its a $15k+ ride! lert me know!!

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like it maybe right at $6500 but I wouldn't go much over that, I wouldn't take his word for it at "no rust" neither, you need to get that thing on a lift and crawl all under it, cause those trucks have problem areas that rust out bad!! Looks like you're going to have to replace both bumper right off the bat. Plus the fact it's a long bed makes it less desirable, still a nice truck though.

What's your GT look like? What are you asking on it?

3. neverwinter

neverwinter

thanks chad. at the risk of posting non-HAMB compliant photos heres a cuple of the Dart. i have 7 ish into it was hoping to get around 6 for a cash sale. may be being a bit optimistic. it has its own share of new England winter history but all the main problem areas have been addressed. i swapped a 78 driveline with disks, mildly warmed 318, new exhaust, new pow steering, new brake/fuel lines, new pads, all new front and rear suspension, etc. hence why i have 7k into it.

Attached Files:

4. chaddilac

chaddilac

I'd go check the truck out and crawl inside and out of it. Or if you're not worried about it, and the trade looks good to you, go for it!!! It's really up to you.

The truck needs body work, and bumpers....a new paint job will follow the body work, big dollars there... But like all cars you get, you have to make them yours and do something to them!!! :D

5. neverwinter

neverwinter

thanks Chad - im not much of a $$$ resto guy. more about function and fun than anything. My Dad had a 59 vette that over 10 years spent way too much cash on. it was stunning - but was unable to drive it for fear of damage (and the impending car doctor bills that came along with it!). i want an old truck to beat around on and use as a truck when the occasion warrants - notable when one of my home built deathtrap bikes craps out lol!

i like the Dart but never been in love with it - tho the 318 helps!

i guess i am just trying to make sure that the guy's price on the truck is in the ballpark of reality. I dropped 2k on getting the Dart roadworthy and safe and cant afford to take on another project where i need to do that just to get it down the road. Nothing beats seeing it in person so i may make a drive up there this weekend. so 6500 seems to be in the ballpark?

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

You might pm ElPolacko, he's the house expert on these trucks and run it past him... he's built about 15 I think he last told me. He answered a lot of questions about mine when I bought it!

Also check the door gaps.... the unibody was a bad design and being the frame wasn't boxed, it allowed the cab to flex and nearly every one ended up with closed door gaps!

7. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Tough call, I love old Mopars!
    Truck: Pre emissions, looks nice, good style BUT its a longbed.
    Dart: May or may not require emissions, nice style, seems fairly straight.

It would be a no-brainer for me if the truck was a shortbed.

8. neverwinter

neverwinter

me too!!! the nice thing about the longbed is i will actually use it. my old f250 had an 8 foot and it was great for hauling bikes. i do like the 390 in the truck as well. style wise the short bed is much nicer (IMO) and i am sure i could make due. if i could find one that i could trade for. argh LOL!!

9. I'd look it over VERY carefully. The 390 is not original....would have had a Y block or a 6. So there goes your 28k original miles. The grille is from a '63...and obviously the paint is not original. I'm just saying buyer beware...These trucks typically rust out at the front cab mounts and at the front of the bed. They are neat old trucks...price seems a little high to me though. But I'm a cheapskate...

10. Probably should add that serviced regularly is a nominal term.

I bought a cougar once that was serviced regularly, that sucker was sludged to the max. I guess serviced regularly ment he changed the filter and topped off the oil?

I really didn't mind we just wanted the body.

11. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

I love old ford trucks but I think your Dart is the better deal. Like everyone says. Get it on a lift. Pull up any cab mats and carpets to check for rust. And check the condition of the king pins while it is on the lift. 390 equals 10 mpg or less. Good luck with your decision.

12. I remember when those trucks were about 10 to 15 years old here in Michigan. Nobody wanted them. Piece of junk once they started rusting. I remember a neighbor had one and it was rusty, I caught a ride home with him and the passengers door popped open on a tight curve in the road.

I would proceed with caution, if at all.

13. Mattilac

Mattilac

Look at the pics. That truck's been hit on the passenger front side.

14. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Also, better the hell you know than the hell you don't know. I'm leaning towards the Dart since I posted 2 hours ago.

15. neverwinter

neverwinter

thank you for everyone's input.

Been doing a lot more thinking and researching, and talking it over with my friends/fam and I am going to look at the truck on sat.

ideally i'd love a 57-60 shortbed stepside f100 with manual transmission. while the unibody isnt my first choice, i've been pouring over the truck threads on here and gotten inspired.

my biggest rationales are:
    - i like the Dart but i dont LOVE it
    - i just got rid of my F250 to get a fam car and sinc ei work on choppers and bikes, lets face it they break down and i have no real means of getting them home. Of course i could toss a hitch setup onto my 08 Accord and pull 1 home if really had to.
    - i know there are die hard fans of all makes. Ford and MOPAR obv have their loyal followers. i think the Ford guys far outweigh the MOPAR guys in terms of sheer volume. If the Dart were a Duster, Challenger, hemi etc i think my market would be better. But when I say "Dart" peoples eyes generally glaze over lol.
    - the other factor is going from a semi muscle car to a truck. i think trucks in general may have a better chance of reselling should i need to than the Dart without taking as much of a beating.

I have 7k into the dart. I'd love to obv get as much of that back on a sale but in this economy I doubt that will happen. If I were to get it gone for 4500 i'd lose 2500 - which while may not be a ton, for me thats a good % lost. If i were to get the truck and use it and sell it when my 55 buick is ready, and i could pull 4500-5500 from it, i'd actually be ahead of the game on my intital dart osts.

The last bit is that it may be easier to trade a fellow ford person or a fellow truck person the Uni for the truck i'd really love.

i haven't made a decision, just trying to think out loud. The dart has its warts as will the truck i am sure. I know that the Dart motors down the road tho so i need to make sure the truck can handle the hiway.

thanks very much for everyone's input! feel free to offer more considerations.
    -jason

16. metalman

metalman

Looks to me if it does have 27K original miles I'd have to say they were "hard" miles. Body is a bit beat and original drivetrain gone in 27?
    I realize there is a differance in value in Boston compaired to here but I'd have to pass at that price. I bought 2 of this era Ford trucks last fall, one a 63 uni. Short bed, all original with running 292, 3 speed, no rust, nice straight body with faded original paint. Kids had shot the glass with a bb gun so the guy got rid of it, $1200.
    My other truck is a 66 Short wide Custom Cab, body/ repaint looks like the 62 you're looking at, needs to be redone. Little rust in the floors. Great running 390/C6 swapped in. Bought it from a service man getting shipped out for $1700. He tried for weeks to sell it for $2500, no takers. So for what it's worth the 62 your looking at around here would probably fall into the $1000 to 2000 price range. Your Dart is worth a lot more then that around here.

17. neverwinter

neverwinter

hmm good info metalMan. thank you again to all. i really have to consider this one.

18. neverwinter

neverwinter

ps -and sorry for pushing back to top of page -
    from what i have been told and who knows how much truth is in that, the truck was a Shriner's Auction vehicle that was donated by someone and then had the motor swpa, etc etc. hence the 27k miles. Those 27 may be original to the 390 but obv the truck itself has more on it than that.

as far as the dart - i just dont knwo what a fair value is. it might be lots more in NM but would anyone from there want to buy it from here if you know what i mean. i guess everything is only worth what someone will pay for it.

19. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I'm sorry, but I don't think that truck is worth anywhere near 6K.
    Have you looked around and priced them out? Ebay would get you an idea.
    And even dent free, rust free with a new paint job...I don't think there's a chance it would appraise at 15K.

20. neverwinter

neverwinter

yes i have looked. ebay, craigslist, etc. its like anything else i guess - see some priced as projects at 2k, others way overboard at 8k. I agree that thats never a 15k truck lol! hes having a hard time selling it at 5500 which could be due to many factors - the truck, not original, the economy, time of year, etc.

What would you guys realistically put the value at? I don't mean the random barn finds where someone got a heck of a deal for 1k. I mean a real world example of someone who doesnt need to sell it to pay for a medical bill but also isnt asking the moon. i am not married to this truck in any way, just really trying to sort the best value. So far you all think its most wise to stay away and theres a strong probability that i may just do that.

he sent a few more bettter shots - ill see if i can post them.

Attached Files:

21. Theopwk

Theopwk
    from Spokane WA

As said before, check the cab mounts, they rust pretty easily. Also, since its a unibody, check the torque box. Its a big square box that joins the cab and bed. If thats wasted, its quite a pain to fix it. All fixed up it might be in the 9 to 10 k range. On a good day, with a guy who really wants it.

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not a 6 figure truck. May never be unless someone went all out tricked up and such. It is a truck, somethng you say you "need". Dart, well, it's a 318 Dart. I see it's a GT but what happened to the GT guts? Gone? Never had it? Just badges? Weren't GTs 383 cars or was the 383 an option? I ask all of those questions because to a Mopar freak that's queer for Darts there's a distant chance that it has a brighter future. Any good unibody truck has better value than their stepside or "wrong box" brothers. Like suggested above, rust is the enemy. The no-brainer on the truck is the 390 but then look at the latest fuel costs (!) vs what the 318 drinks, and you know you'll run the truck hard the 1st few weeks. Oh yes you will, don't bullshit us. We know! :D

If the truck really is a NO RUST body I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even an 8' box uni is a bitchin ride. Then ask yourself if you'd be happy with it until prices rise again. It's also good trade bait toward the truck you really want in the future. The one constant in the collector market lately is the rising prices of early trucks, even during the worst days of our financial woes. Just random thoughts while trying not to repeat what was already said.

23. brad chevy

brad chevy

Prices might be better up north I guess because down here in Fla. the Dart would go for about $3500 to $4000 tops,and the truck might bring $4500 to $5000 tops and thats just because neither one are very desireable vehicles.If you wanting a pickup just to have a pickup to use keep looking and find something that wouldn"t suck the wallet dry at 8 to 10 miles to the gallon. Good luck.

24. neverwinter

neverwinter

thanks again all. the dart has all the badging and was a /6 car. i put the 318 in and kept all the original /6 stuff. The dart has its own warts - some big tears on the seats, solid but not pretty floor patches, rust in the usual spots in the frame and on the body, vinyl roof would need to be replaced if were to really invest in it.

i certainly don't NEED an older vehicle lol - but then again if i only ever did what was needed it'd be a pretty boring life. i think i over invested in the dart but i consider it a learning experience whether i keep it or sell it.

at this point tho i am ok with getting rid of it for the right deal. i dont have to have quick cash so i am fortunate there else i'd just sell it and be done.

as for fuel costs, yeah i know they will kill me but the dart isnt all that much better. i have my daily driver for when i want to sip not guzzle, plus the bikes.

i know bikes and so when i see someone asking 4500 for a 78 ironhead thats been beaten on, i know what its really worth. i dont have that same knowledge with old cars. making things tougher is that in this economy trades are more mutually beneficial but finding one who wants to trade for what you have isnt always easy. im not brand loyal - i just like old trucks. this isnt my ideal one at least not in my head as of now, but it may be a better stepping stone. course it could be thrashed as well. guess all i can do is look at it and see where we are. ugh i am always getting into something lol!

25. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Another thought is to head over to FTE... (www.fordtrucks.com) and get a feel on pricing...you might even find something in the classified there too.

They (FTE) have different truck forums for similar year trucks, you might get some good info.

26. neverwinter

neverwinter

i passed on the truck found out some history and just didnt have a good vibe. so if anyone wants to trade a f100 for a dart i'm in!! thanks for the help all
    - jason